Westwood College / committed fraud

After I had numerous disputes and disagreements with the Westwood College staff about the quality of the educational program and professors at Westwood College I demanded an accounting from the college regarding my son's class schedule. They had him attending only one class but charging him for the entire semester's tuition. They told me that there was nothing they could do because my son had transfered with an AA degree from from Miami-Dade College, an excellent four year college {previously a junior college called Miami-Dade Community College}. By the way, they'll accept college credits from other educational institutions but when my son transferred to the University of Central Florida, UCF would not give him credit for one single class he took at Westwood College. UCF doesn't even recognize Westwood College or their curriculum! To make a long story short, during my son's last semester at Westwood College, the college could only sign him up for one class (although they demanded payment for full tuition) and when I objected, the college staff decided to terminate his enrollment, although I was given assurances by the Director that this would not happen. After his dismissal, the college staff told him that he was obligated to participate in an 'exit interview' during which time they gave him numerous forms to sign, one of which was a 'promissory note'. That is fraud! There is no other way to describe the deliberate deception on the part of the staff. Some people would argue that my son should have read every single document that he signed at the exit interview, but to be honest, how many young men and women after learning of their termination from a school program (through no fault of his own) would read multiple forms during an exit interview when the staff told them that the documents he was signing were necessary in order for him to get his transcripts.

Rey
Miami, Florida
U.S.A.

Comments

• Mi
      19th of Aug, 2008

i had the same experience with Texas School of Business. I felt like they were trying to get every penny from me, even though i only attended 4-6 days

17th of Oct, 2008

I have, like double, the cost for my associates degree through Westwood than I would have at any other college. It sounds as though I am not alone. Does anyone have any idea if there is a government agency that we can report this to, or do we just go through the better business bureau.

• We
      13th of May, 2009

i WAS LIED TO AND SCAMED WHEN GOING TO WESTWOOD COLLEGE IN DENVER COLORADO. i WAS TOLD I WOULD RECEIVE HELP, GRANTS AND MONEY TO HELP ME SURVIVE WHILE IN WESTWOOD. AS A RESULT OF THE LIES I WAS HOMELESS 3 TIMES IN 3 MONTHS BECAUSE WESTWOOD HAD NO ASSISTANCE FOR STUDENTS. NOT TO MENTION ALL THE DRUG TRAFFICING AND I HAD A TEACHER OFFER TO SELL ME SEMI AUTOMATIC GUNS AS WELL AS ANOTHER TEACHER CALL ME A ###ING IDIOT IN SPANISH BECAUSE I WENT TO THE WRONG CLASSROOM. I CANT TRANSFER MY CREDITS AND LOST OUT ON OVER 10, 000. I WENT THERE TODAY TO GET MY RECORDS AND THEY TOLD ME IF I EVER COME BACK FOR MORE RECORDS THERE CALL THE COPS AND HAVE ME REMOVED. I WANT TO FILE A LAWSUIT. I AM PISSED AND WILL STOP AT NOTHING UNTIL THIS COLLEGE IS BROUGHT TO THE GROUND. WESTWOOD IS ALSO BEING SUED BY OVER 300 STUDENTS CURENTLY AND SETTLED OUT OF COURT FOR FRAUD FOR 7 MILION IN TEXAS LAST YEAR. I NEED TO KNOW MY OPTIONS FOR I WILL NOT STOP UNTIL I SEE JUSTICE. PLEASE HELP OR CONTACT ME TO JOIN IN ON A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR FRAUD.

• We
      13th of May, 2009

WHY IS WESTWOOD $25, 000 PER YEAR. DO YOU KNOW THAT WESTWOOD DOESNT EVEN OWN THEIR BUILDINGS. I BELEIVE THERE PURPOSINGLY SCAMMING STUDENTS. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A STORY. ID LOVE TO KNOW IF IM THE ONLY ONE. I DOUBT IT THOUGH.

• My
      31st of May, 2009

Each time I visit the Financial Aid department I have to work with a new person because they flip flop finances and when I asked for a print out they said I had to pay them to get it and that they would have to consult with "higher authorities". It's my business just as much as the stranger setting me up. The worst part is is that I have to still attend because I don't have the money at all to go to another college and I dont think it is fair Im out a new Escelade ($40, 000) and nothing is happening. Not gunna say too much but This is wrong to the 10th degree!!!

• Ef
      23rd of Jun, 2009

I graduated in 2007, and I am infuriated with the school. The professors didn't teach me crap. They only sat there in class telling dirty jokes to students, and the books that we spent an arm and a leg for weren't even used! If we needed help with something, most times we would get the response, "It's in your book". Well DUH a-hole, you're the teacher, you're supposed to help US! My portfolio class was a complete joke. The teacher that taught it was later "fired" or "left". Gee wonder why!! He was never in class...so he was never around to inform us and help us prepare our portfolio. Once we made a sorry attempt to do our portfolio and spent numerous amount of hours wasting away in class, our portfolios would just be rejected and laughed at by other colleges/jobs. What the f***!! What can we do to go about suing this JOKE of a place?? Westwood can and will continue to blow smoke up our butts, while we all continue to sit in debt. I haven't paid one cent towards my student loans (because I haven't been able to!!) since I graduated. I would love to sue the hell out of these people and make THEM pay for what they owe me back.

8th of Jul, 2009

Someone could go shoot up their buidlings.

• Vi
      3rd of Aug, 2009

If anyone is going to Sue the campus in Denver, Colorado. Please let me know. Email - vinhle22@gmail.com

• Th
      10th of Aug, 2009

I as well would like to know if anyone is planning a class action against the Denver campus. Westwood has pretty much ruined my life and destroyed my credit through lies and fraudulent practices. thelelland@gmail.com

• Kd
      15th of Aug, 2009

Is it too late for me? I attended Westwood - Ft. Worth and didn't know about the previous lawsuit until today! Can I get in on another lawsuit or do I just have to starve myself and my two babies because I have $27K in Westwood Debt?

• Mi
      16th of Aug, 2009

My Daughter got screwed by Westwood in Lakewood, CO. She was sold a bill of goods, told she was doing well by her teachers, took us 8 months to get a transcript only to find out her teachers had flunked her in every class with no reason and no recourse. Screw Westwood in Colorado. I would gladly join any class action lawsuit against this criminal entity sucking the life and money from our children.

• Kr
      30th of Aug, 2009

Hey all...I live in Denver, CO. and unfortunately graduated from WestWood College over a year ago and guess what I have nothing to show for it! Their supposed "career dept" kept sending me websites that were dead ends and had job postings that weren't even for Colorado not to mention the job postings that I could have easily found myself by internet or by asking local retailers if they were hiring! After I graduated I was surveyed about work and what I was "planning" to do in the near future...my answers were obviously good enough because I haven't heard from them since pretty sure I'm part of their percentage they're using in there faulty advertising! One thing they forget to put in there advertising is that make sure you can afford $750 in loan payments because thats how much you will be owing for your $75, 000.00 degree but then again they do promise to place you when you graduate which is a total joke! The biggest slap in the face is that I can't transfer credits for further education I'm stuck but yet there offices still insist National Accredidation is going to be approved come the end of the year...but really is that going to solve my financial debt problem that they failed to mention was going to be in my near future as they were laughing all the way to the bank...over several months I can't tell you how many times I have broke down crying because of my financial situtation and no way out thanks to Westwood and Sallie Mae they refuse to lower my private loans I had to take out during the middle of my education magically Westwood informed that I had run out of "federal money" and needed to apply for more loans before I could step foot in another class my hopes to get financial aide was demolished when they informed that I personally made $500 to much money the year prior which I couldn't understand because my parents lost both of their jobs that year!!! I lost out of thousands of dollars and it was all because it was there office that refused it Westwood got to say how many students received grant money or financial aide and this was told to me by one of there own staff members that were in charge of financial aide... before I graduated they barely brought up the fact that they were trying to get accredited my thought was what do we do quit and spend 70k on no degree there was nothing we could do but to finish and count on our own confidence...now i'm left with an empty bank account and a minimum wage job that has nothing to do with what I actaully went to school for...for those that left your email I'm researching a suit that is supposedly starting to take place in Denver...you can contact me at princess1485@msn.com

• Na
      30th of Aug, 2009

I personally think ALL colleges perpetuate this scam. Unless one college has an "agreement" with another they will not transfer their credits. This is one thing that allows places like Westwood to scam people out of their money. Because even brick and mortar colleges refuse each other's credits/units it calls into question ANY college's credits. I can't get ANY college to transfer my military education--they laugh at my military transcripts! Your tax dollars paid over $650, 000 for that education but every college laughs at it.
    I feel your pain. The problem is not just Westwood---it is every single college in America. Our leaders allow these arrogant academic people to demand we repeat courses, refuse to transfer classes already completed, and undermine each other every day. I say---Americans have always insisted that they recieve what they pay for---and demand what they have earned. Why should we allow education to be any different? We shouldn't. We should be demanding to get what we paid for. I am not saying we should be able to buy an education---but I am saying that what we pay for, work for and earn...and appears on an official transcript...should be recognized at every single college in America...and if it isn't we should be able to get a full refund. My classes I took 20 years ago are just as valuable now as they were when I took them. I am talking about basic ed. Just because I took them 20 years ago does not mean that education evaporated...but that is what Cal State is telling me. My education is OLD>...how much has English 101, sociology 1, intro to pysch, and college algebra changed in 20 years? It hasn't! How do I know that? Because I just paid to repeat every single one of those classes. I practically ended up teaching the darn classes myself. ALL COLLEGES are in on this scam. We have to demand that our legislatures start holding them accountable. A college that won't take your credits is doing a "bait and switch" routine. It is illegal. It is unethical. It is fraud. I just retook a sociology class that is using the same syllabus they used in 1970----how do I know that? It was printed on it. They didn't even cover the womens liberation movement! ALL COLLEGES ARE GUILTY OF THIS. JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT DOES NOT MEAN IT IS RIGHT---NOR DOES IT MEAN IT IS OKAY. WE HAVE TO MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD! http://demand-refund-college-rip-off.110mb.com TELL THE PRESIDENT TO DO SOMETHING.

• Do
      21st of Mar, 2010

I have read every letter on my computer about Westwood, and how they scamed different
    people, My son went there 2005-2008. Every letter was some of our experence.The money thing, how they lied about what they would do for you, how they would help you. Most of all i was there when he signed them papers. Ifeel like i should of known better. we got screwed big time. something has to be done.

• Me
      11th of May, 2010

I am a graduate From Westwood Collge Northlake Campus Atl ga . I need to know if anyone can help me in sueing westwood. Like everyone else I also got lied to and got ripped off. Please keep me updated if anyone plans to take any action on this.

• Sn
      21st of Jun, 2010

Sigh... well I was promised that If i needed to transfer my credits they would be accepted... yea right. I was clueless and figured the person I spoke to would know. I was mislead. I'm Thankful that I dropped out when I noticed how expensive it was getting. I'm still paying some of it off... but I never did get my degree. Now I'm trying everything possible to go back to college and basically I busted my butt for nothing. I have a paper that says I was a great student but to the rest of the world it's worthless. I'm so upset and dissapointed. I even question if I really did as good as I thought I did .. or was a sucky student and they were just passing me? Can't say I've felt this way before.. I can't believe that all that work for nothing...

• Be
      30th of Jul, 2010

yes i went to Westwood College Northlake Campus as well. If anyone have information about suing them please let me know

• Bo
      9th of Sep, 2010

I went to Westwood College on-line and it " SUCKED". They don't teach you, you have to teach your self. The worst 57 thousand dollars I ever spent. That is for an associates degree in Software Engineering that got me nowhere. They said you could take refresher class free just buy your books. They don't offer anything in programming last time I checked. I hope they loose thier accreditation.

• Tw
      26th of Sep, 2010

i go to westwood at the inland empire campus before i started there they told me i would get pell grant money and when i started there i found out that i didn't get any pell grant money. They told me they use the money the pell grant gives me towards my loans i had checked my loans i have 20, 000.00 in loans and i had went there for a year. i really had not learned much i feel like i took criminal law 5 times all the classes are the same and two class have different names but it is the same class. when i tried to get cal grant they told me i couldn't get it because i was homeschooled in high school and i didn't have 36 completed units but someone told me i didn't need 36 units for cal grant. many of my friends i met at westwood told me to sue them for not giving me the pel grant money . my loans are more than my mom makes a year.

• Su
      19th of Oct, 2010

WESTWOOD DALLAS/FORT WORTH SCAMMERS OF CLUELESS STUDENTS
    NOW THEY HAVE A BIG AUDITING AND THEY ARE GOING CRAZY. SOME HOW THEY MANAGE TO GET A STUDENT LOAN FOR MORE THEN 16OO.00, I NEVER GOT THE MONEY THEY DO NOT KNOW WHERE IT WENT. THEY FIRED ALL THE FINANCIAL STUFF BECAUSE THERE WERE STEALING MONEY FROM THE STUDENTS. I TALKED TO EVERYBODY EVEN THE PRESIDENT MR KEPIC, PAUL AND THE DEAN MARGARET WHICH THE MOST USELESS PERSON IN THE WHOLE DALLAS CAMPUS AND THEY KEEP TELLING ME TALK TO FINANCE AND KEPT SENDING EMAILS. THE DIRECTOR OF I.T DEPARTMENT WAS FIRED TWO WEEKS AGO, NOW THEY DON'T HAVE NOBODY. THIS PLACE IS A CHAOS. BUT THEY KEEP CHARGING RIDICULOUS AMOUNT FOR WORTH CLASSES. AN ASSOCIATE GOES AROUND 40k. OCT/2010