Western Union / theft of my money

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

I was victim of an online scam using Western Union in June this year. I was trying to rent a flat and the landlord asked me to send the monday to a friend using Western Union. I did, then send a picture of it to the landlord, who took my money. Western Union refuses to take any responsibility. The police says is WU´s responsibility to contact them and they cant help me. The Citizen Advice Bureau just told me I had to keep on sending letters to them and make a formal complaint procedure.

I have done all of this. " months later, I still don't have any news about my money. Has any of you been in a similar situation??? What did you do??? What else can I do??? I don't understand how can they refuse any responsibility in this when:

- I told the lady at the office why I was doing that with my money and she didn't say anything.
- It doesn't say anywhere that you should keep your number or receipt in secret
- They accept a fake id to give my money away.

Ai

Comments

Sa
  2nd of Feb, 2009

I work at a retailer which offers Western Union service, and I will tell you what I told the gentleman who sent $800 to Nigeria for a puppy, Western Union is not the police. It is up to the consumer to realize there is inherent risks associated with wiring money. The front of a WU "send money" form outlines common rules to follow to avoid being a victim, and one rule is "only wire money to someone you know."

You clearly did not take the time to read this, or if you did, you did not follow this. So you can not hold Western Union accountable for your mistake.

Ri
  4th of Jun, 2009

My Dear All,

i want to be share something, I have One net Freind, u can say we was chating last 3 months on the yahoo, she live in Malaysia, me and her everthing should be share for personal metters, i will tell you in shortcut, last time i was in trouble she told me i will help u, i say ok Thanks, she is asking to me whats Problem u have, i will help you any type, i tell her i need some money but i dont want to take from you, becoz its my personal metter, so i dont want to disturb you, she told me it mean i am not ur friend, well i tell her ok u will. she said ok tell me how much Amount u have required, i told her maximum 1, 12000 Ringgit, she said plz tell me your Information i will send it to you this Amount Through Western Union, well i give her all my personals detail, well sha said i will Transfer this Amount after one week, i said ok, well she is not come online to last 3 weeks, lots of time i have contact her but i dont where is she, well after 3 weeks come onlin and told me Sorry i was bussy, and i am very disapointed i could not Trasnfer the Amount you, well she is saying i have discuss about my family but they are saying why u r help this person, she said for human being, well they family told her ok if u want to Transfer the Amount him, then you have any Trust on him if u have then told him he will send it you some Amount, well she told me my family said you will send it me some amount Maximum 5000 Ringgit after i will help you, well i have Transfer the Amount her maximum 1300 Ringgit through Western Union, when she will recevied the amount, shes said ok now i will send it to you Amount through Western Union, after one day i got the messge from her on this date 04-06-2009, she said Sorry the Western Union peoples said your name is Incorrect Sorry we cant Transfer the Amount you, becoz ur name is invalid, i said hows possible, and how said Western Union my name is Incorrect, i am shoked, becoz she is the Big Cheater, that is the Fraud, and she said Sorry i cant Transfer the Amount you, becoz ur name is invalid, really i am shoked when she told me i am the stupid person and third class person, and after she said Sorry i cant receive any Payment from me, becoz she is telling a lie, i am very Disapointed today, why peoples do like this, why why, such bad,

well my dearl all,

i want to share thats why plz dont Trust like this person and on the Internet, becoz that is the net fraud, well have good day, Tc,

Bye,

Je
  28th of Jul, 2011

I PURCHASED A WESTERN UNION PRE-PAID VISA ON SATURDAY JULY 23, 2011 SO THAT I COULD TRAVEL WITHOUT CASH. UNFORTUNATELY, THE PLACE I TRAVELED WOULD NOT TAKE THE WESTERN UNION CARD BECAUSE IT SAID PREFEERED CUSTOMER INSTEAD OF MY NAME. ON JULY 25, 2011 I ASKED WESTERN UNION TO TRANSFER THE MONEY TO MY CARD THAT HAS MY NAME ON IT (ALSO A WESTERN UNION CARD). THEY SAID THEY COULD NOT DO THAT, ALTHOUGH THEY DID NOT GIVE ME A GOOD OR VALID REASON WHY THEY COULD NOT TRANSFER FUNDS FROM ONE WESTERN UNION CARD TO ANOTHER WHEN AFTERALL THEIR BUSINESS IS TRANSFERING FUNDS. THEN I ASKED THEM TO WIRE THE MONEY TO ME SO THAT I COULD TRANSFER THAT MONEY ONTO MY CREDIT CARD THAT HAS A NAME ON IT (ANOTHER WESTERN UNION CARD). THEY TOLD ME IT WOULD BE $20.00. RELUCTANTLY, I AGREED TO THE CHARGES. AFTERWARDS, I COULD NOT ACCESS THE WIRE, SO I ASKED THEM TO PUT IT BACK ON MY CARD BECAUSE I REALLY NEEDED THE MONEY THAT DAY. ALL OF THIS TRANSPIRED ON ONE DAY 7/25/2011. NEEDLESS TO SAY, MY MONEY HAS NOT HIT MY CARD AS OF YET AND AFTER FOUR DAYS ON THE PHONE WITH WESTERN UNION ALL I HAVE RECEIVED IS A LARGER PHONE BILL. TODAY IS THURDSAY 7/28/2011 AND I STILL HAVE NO ACCESS TO MY MONEY. THEY HAVE LEFT ME STRANDED BASICALLY WITH NO GAS, NO FOOD AND NO MONEY TO PURCHASE EITHER. IN MY ANGER, I BEGAN SCREAMING AT THE SUPERVISOR AND ADVISED HIM THAT MONEY IS ALL THE FUNDS I HAVE AND I NEED TO GET IT NOW, HE LAUGHED AND SAID HE COULD NOT REFUND MY MONEY UNTIL IT FALLS OFF THEIR SYSTEM WHICH WOULD NOT BE UNTILE 7/29/2011. I KNOW THIS IS NOT TRUE BECAUSE ANOTHER DEPARTMENT SAID THAT MONEY SHOULD HAVE GONE BACK TO MY CARD IMMEDIATELY BECAUSED THEY CANCELED THE TRANSFER AND ALREADY PUT IT BACK ON WESTERN UNIONS BOOKS. ADDITIONALLY, ALL MY MINUTES (400) ON MY CELL PHONE WERE USED BECAUSE I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH THEM TRYING TO HAVE THIS ISSUE RESOLVED, WHICH IS STILL NOT RESOLVED SO I KNOW MORE CELL PHONE MINUTES WILL BE NEEDED. NEEDLESS TO SAY THE LITTLE MONEY I DID HAVE (OR SHOULD I SAY NEEDED TO BORROW) WENT TO REPLACE MINUTES. IF HAVING THE SUPERVISOR LAUGHT AT SOMEONE WHOM IS STRANDED AND NOT RELEASE THEIR FUNDS IS WESTERN UNIONS IDEA OF CUSTOMER SERVICES, WELL THEN I THINK MY FUTURE BUSINESS WON'T BE WITH WESTERN UNION. THIS ISSUE HAS ME COMPLETELY DISTRAUGHT AND HAS MADE MY TRAVELS UNBARABLE INSTEAD OF MEMORABLE.