Western Digital Hard Drives / No disk, no answer

1 India Review updated:

I had purchased a Western Digital Hard Disk (Model No.WD1600AAJS-00PSAO, Serial No.WMAP [protected]) on 20th April, 2007 which lasted only for one day. It was replaced but it also did not work. Again it was sent for replacement on 4th June, 2007 vide RMA# [protected]. Till now, WD helpline has no answer when the Hard Disk will be made available.

Sk

Comments

• Pi
      2nd of Jan, 2008

I do also completely agree with you. I have purchased 80 GB WD laptop drive ( serial no. WXE706694691 ) from kolkata and found faulty. They have collected ( RMA is 80618889) the faulty drive through courier on 12 Dec 2007. with a commitment that they will send the replacement product within next 3 day .
    Still now I hav not received the product. I am calling them each & every day after waiting in the long Queue ( 20-30 minutes) over the toll free number 1-800-11-9393 and each day they are confirming that they will send tomorrow. But I am still waiting for that great "tomorrow" , when I will receive the product. Western Digital is doing a complete fraud business in India. As they do not have any office at kolkata , I have to call them at their Delhi office and nobody entertain over phone. I have received the following wrong or fraud information from Western Digital :
    1. 2 fraud GATI docket # ( 528023970 , 529651004
    2. 2-3 fraud contact number , where nobody picks up phone and Telephone number does not exists.

• Dm
      23rd of Jan, 2008

I bought a WD passport drive that never worked. I figured I was doing something wrong so put it down. Tried to fix it again about 45 days later only to find they only cover it for 30 days- they offered no support. The thing does not work, their diagnostics downloads do not work. Basically, i wated my money. I found hundreds of complaints across the Internet. Basically, I am taking this to the BBB.

• Oj
      25th of Jan, 2008

My 80 GB HDD is malfunctioned, so windows xp can't recognized device. HELP me.

• Ab
      6th of Aug, 2008

Model no = WD5000P032.
    SER NO = WCAPW2515611.
    COMPANY NAME = WD (WESTERN DIGITAL)

hard disk is not detecting .purchased in 2007 .
    when we are presing start button is doesnot start.

• Sj
      18th of Sep, 2008

i have a western digital hdd p/n 381648-022 & ct no 2a833033hvm3l & d p/n d800jd-60lsa5 in this hdd i fasing a problem it is not working and it is do some noise and i don't have any help line phone no to so please help me
    sajid

• Ar
      17th of Oct, 2008
    Western Digital My Book - 500G external hard drive
    22544 Tennyson Ave.
    Port Charlotte
    Florida
    Phone: 941-391-7287

On9/9/08 I contacted WD and talked to Chris about my problem. He stated that my warranty was good until 10/27/08. I then took my hard drive to a local computer repair shop and had my data recovered for couple of hundred dollars. When I called back today I was told I voided the warranty by not having WD or one of their recommended parties retrieve the data. Now I still have a broken hard drive, $200 in costs to retrieve data not to mention the $120 paid for the unit in the first place. Nice business you have going there. Sell one unit and make a profit on it 3 or 4 times.
    The reason the hard drive failed was because of a faulty power board that maybe cost $5 and could easily have been replaced at the time the data was recovered. This is a VERY COMMON occurance and should be fixed under warranty for no charge seeing WD knows about the circuit board problem and is doing nothing but raping their customers.
    I will be spending a lot of time getting the word out to the rest of the public. I thought WD was a reputable company but I have been shown otherwise. WHAT A RIPOFF!

• Pe
      15th of Nov, 2008

i bought a wd external hard drive in 2007. it worked ok till about three weeks ago. computer can't recognize the drive. it is model # WD5000P032 combo disk drive usb 2.0 AND FIRE WIRE. I CANT FIND ANY SUPPORT DOCUMENTATION ON WESTERN DIGITAL WEB SITE

• St
      2nd of Dec, 2008
    Western Digital My Book Hard Drive - Defective
    New York
    Phone:

I purchased a Western Digital 500GB external "My Book" Hard Drive to use primarily as a back-up. I bought it in August, 2007. In mid November, the drive suddenly became unusable -- my computer no longer recognized it. No warning. changed the cable went through all the investigations to determine that all was lost. Data recovery was estimated to be from $500 up to $2, 500 -- making this the most expensive -- and the least reliable --hard drive on the market today!!!

• Ph
      1st of Aug, 2009

Same Problem. Bought a wd, set it for autobackup every week, then the backups stopped working and I could not get the computer to recognize it or access any of the back up files.

Any advice on whther I should have the drive scanned for viruses by Norton, etc?

• Ay
      24th of Aug, 2009

I bought a MY Book model WD5000P32 in 2007 and has been working fine until about 2 months ago. Suddenly I cannot retrieve any of the back up files anymore. In fact, my computer now indicates that this backup drive is not even formatted, although the WD backup history still shows all the backup logs. AYan

• Ha
      29th of Sep, 2009
    western digital 1000 gb hard disk - not working/loose contact in the adaptor
    India

I purchased a western digital 1000 gb hard disk on 24-8-2009 and it was working properly for few days and now a problem has started that there is a loose contact in the adaptor and as such it is not working. Kindly tell me where i have to contact.
    sl no.WCAV50342929
    my email id hamir_kalyani@yahoo.co.in

• Br
      2nd of Oct, 2009

Same problem with the WD5000P032... Western Digital is a terrible company with terrible customer support. WE WILL NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. This is the second time in 3 years that one of their products has cost us money.

• 28

4th of Aug, 2010
    Western Digital - The problem with the external dirver cable
    Western Digital Corporation
    California

I'm writing from Turkey. I bought an external drives in Iowa in January (actually I live in Turkey, but I went to U.S.A. for internship so I bought this external in there) I used it a few months but there is a problem with the external cable. I think there is a loose connection because if the cable moves a little bit, the connection goes. The connection always diseppears and I have to fix the external to the pc again.

I want to change this USB cable with the new one. There is a warrany also. I hope you'll help me.

• Jy
      26th of Apr, 2011
    wd hdd - not resived hdd
    jyoti computer
    pehowa road cheeka
    India
    Phone: 9996130366
    jyoticomputer66@yahoo.in

my rma no. 82596232, 82640750.
    do not pickup hdd . pls. just picups

• El
      29th of Jul, 2011
    Western Digital My Book 500GB - Horrible Product - Horrible Company
    Illinois

I purchased a Western Digital My Book 500GB from Best Buy in April of 2011. My computer stopped recognizing the drive after about a month and after 3 months, the unit wouldn't even turn on. My first call to tech support resulted in their insistence it was a power cord issue, despite my arguments that I thought there was a bigger problem with the drive, and they sent me a replacement. Upon opening the box, my "new" power cord was not wrapped as if new (i.e. the cord was all undone) leading me to believe I had been sent a used cord. When the replacement cord did not solve the problem and the unit failed to turn on at all, I contacted tech support again and was told the drive had failed. Since my product was still under warranty, they would replace the drive, but I would have to pay a data recovery service if I wanted to retrieve my information off the existing drive.

Conveniently WD is partnered with a variety of data recovery services so I think this is nothing more than a scam: make a cheap product that fails after a few months and then make even more money off people by charging them to have their data recovered. Perhaps the different levels of partnerships represent the kickbacks these companies give back to WD. In conclusion, I purchased a defective product that was completely inoperative after only 4 months of limited use, and not only do I have to pay to have my files recovered (ironically the reason I purchased an external drive in the first place) but I also have to pay to have the defective drive shipped back to the company. People would be better off investing in good, old fashioned CDs for use as back-up rather than purchasing anything from this crooked company!!