Vacation Hub International (VHI)will not accept cancellation of contract according to cpa "direct marketing" law

My wife and I were duped into attending a VHI presentation on the 22nd September 2016, in Boksburg and succumbed to a high pressure, high energy presentation given by very insistent sales people. We were not afforded the time to scrutinize the documentation carefully, as the next group of attendees had already moved into the presentation room. That evening after reading the documentation carefully and after viewing comments on the internet, we realized we had been scammed into something we cannot really afford, as I was retrenched in December 2015 at the age of 60 and due to my age have not been able to find employment yet. Thus I alerted VHI on the 23rd September 2016 of my wish to cancel membership, within the 5 day "cooling-off period". This was done by registered mail, FAX, e'mail and SMS, based on Section 16(3) of the Consumer Protection Act 68 of 2008 (CPA) which came into effect on 31 March 2011, that any contract concluded as a result of direct marketing may be rescinded without reason or penalty, by notice to the supplier in writing, or another recorded manner and form, within five business days after the date of signing.

In turn they replied to me that they refuse to accept my cancellation and will only cancel if I pay an exorbitant cancellation fee, which I cannot afford. Their stance is in breach of South African law and they have not and cannot provided me with plausible legal reasons for their decision not to accept my request for cancellation. I notice from internet sites like HelloPeter, Complaints Board, Legal sites, etc. that this is their normal modus operandi when cancellation is requested. VHI scam individuals with false information, into signing contracts with them and then when cancellation is requested, they try and bully people into accepting there illegal cancellation stipulations.

I paid an activation fee of R8750 and document fee of R399 by Credit Card and I have a debit order of R1469.75 per month being deducted by Sage from my bank account. Thus far I have instructed the Bank to reverse the debit order on a monthly basis.

If you require any further information, proof of cancellation within the prescribed time, etc., I can provide it.

Your help in resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Ke