United Healthcare / prescription coverage

US Review updated:

Today we went to pick up second refill of chemo medicine only to be told by Walmart that United Healthcare has put a block on the refill and that the medicine will have to be ordered from California and shipped to Kentucky overnight (doubtful). He needs his next treatment beginning tomorrow so our pharmacist asked for a over ride to allow this refill and mail order the remaining treatments. They refused. It will still cost us the same amount either way, so that tells me that United Healthcare will save money and my husbands cancer treatment plans will be interrupted and they really could care less.

Comments

• Pf
      Dec 16, 2009

United Healthcare has again reduced coverage for my prescriptions during the plan period. As it has happened many times before, my first knowledge of this "change" happened when I drove to the pharmacy to pick up my medicine and was told they would not cover it. Such changes during the plan period negate any statements regarding copayments or maximum out of pocket expenses. These statements are therefore worthless.

I have made many unnecessary trips to the drug store and have spent numerous hours on the phone with United Healthcare and they refuse to honor their written commitments. The amount I have to pay exceeds the copayment listed in their plan and their website. Millions of other consumers are having to do the same.

• Sh
      Jan 08, 2010

I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau...maybe if we all file we will get results. If you decide to do so, the headquarters is in Minn, Mn...you will need this info.

• Ka
      Aug 20, 2010

Seems like 2009 was a big year for United Health Care. Alot of changes.
    I am 53 yrs old and am disabled, not dumb or brain damaged, so don't talk to me that way.
    I get a compound drug that has 5 drugs made of powder, that is mixed together and made into a lotion. I rub this lotion where it hurts. I first got this compound in 2006, UHC told me how to tell the pharmacist to enter the drug so it is covered. Unbeknown to me the formulary list changed, but my pharmacist got it thru the insurance so I was totally in the dark.
    I have tried to work with the customer service people, you never speak to the same person, I had one girl tell me I needed to go to a different pharmacy. My pharmacy was told to upgrade their software so they can inter multi-ingredients. Theses are raw powder drugs, UHC or any other drug insurance, because there is no kick back from the drug companies.
    I have contacted the insurance commissioner and was informed it is a federal thing even tho they are operating in my state.
    I have been able to get 2 of my congress people working on this for me.
    It should be between my dr. and myself as to what medications I take! Not what is on a formulary, pretty soon the formulary will consist of aspirin and antibiotics.
    As long as you have any type of coverage the state wont help. Al tho I buy 8 units of this compound @ $153 not even 1/2 a month my food stamps go up.
    Don't try to file an appeal using their fax #, they never seem to get them. ALWAYS, ALWAYS certified mail.
    These people lie, drag their feet and make it up as they go. I never got a 60day notice, no matter how you word it, it wasn't 60 days Sandra.

• Ww
      Sep 21, 2010

They are really good at passing the buck and dragging their feet> They are holding 4 months premiums hostage that they continued to withdraw from my checking account and they tell me they didnt lose my dis-enrollmnent form. The lose s--t all the time but they are never wrong. They are too big for even medicare to mess with it seems.
    Bill M.

• Jb
      Jun 10, 2011

United Healthcare deals with your medical insurance. not your prescription coverage. also, underwriters write your benefits in accordance with what the employer group opts for. so, before you go blaming insurance companies, regardless of blue cross blue shield, united helathcare, aetna, etc, you may want to start blaming your employers for changing your benefits

• Ra
      Nov 20, 2012

How about lawyers and politicians deciding instead of your doctor? The voters thought that was a good idea.