Tires Plus / crooks

1 3237 lawrenceville-Suwanne Rd.Suwanee, GA, United States Review updated:

I had to get my car towed from the highway for over heating. Closest place was Tires Plus. I told them them the problem appeared to from a leaky radiator. They confirmed that was the problem and gave me an estimate of $700.00, $400.00 for radiator installed plus $150.00 to flush system and $150.00 to replace a $6.00 thermostat. While I was waiting I was calling around for comps and prices ranged from $250.00 to $450.00, The $450.00 estimate happened to be another Tires Plus. When I told them I couldn't go for the price and was going to take my truck elsewhere they demanded $74.00 for the estimate, when I objected to the charge they proceeded to remove my valve stem on all four tire and removed the air, leaving me stranded. I had to call the police to get things shorted out and paid there estimate charge. They tried to royally screw me. Never ever take your car to the Tires Plus.

Po

Comments

• 95
      8th of Mar, 2013

Wow. That's a pretty tall order, saying they deflated your tires. In all, yes, Tires Plus has one of the highest markups in the industry on parts they have to "outside purchase", that is, purchase from another vendor like Autozone or Napa. They do this because they do not stock much more than some brake parts, lights, and tires. A radiator and thermostat would almost certainly have to be purchased from an outside vendor. Markups can be on the order of 400% for some items, and most markups are controlled by the corporation, not the shop so much. A component that the shop purchases from a vendor may cost $19.99, but they will sell it for $89.99. The justification is because the said part covers a nationwide warranty and that markup is needed to cover that warranty, but sometimes the part is warrantied from the vendor. This vendor warranty may be difficult to track, however. As far as the diagnostic charge, if you agreed to the charge initially, then the shop has every right to collect it if you choose or choose NOT to do the service. That charge was probably what they initially had you sign for when you brought your vehicle in. If you DID sign for it, and you DID agree to it, then they have a right to collect that charge whether you have to work done there or decide to take it somewhere else. On a side note, if you did decide to take your vehicle somewehre else, they ALSO will probably charge you to do their own diagnostic, especially where an engine is concerned. Most shops would be reluctant to do repairs based on another shops diagnostic because there is a certain amount of liability involved. Hope this helps!