The Book Depository / lost delivery/poor customer service/failure to refund

1-5 Armagh, Northern Ireland, County Armagh, United Kingdom Review updated:

I ordered three books, and only one (the one apparently dispatched four days after the original two) arrived. I emailed them about 10 days later asking where it was and got quite a rude reply about international deliveries taking up to two weeks when i’m pretty sure it was a national one. So then three weeks later, i email again due to no sign of the books and they say they really should have arrived and ask me to double check with my local delivery office and then to confirm my address.
After all this, with various different unhelpful emails from various different customer advisors, they ask would i like a refund or a replacement, so seeing as one of the books was a present, i say i still would very much like the books so i’ll take a replacement. Then, i get a reply saying we can’t give you a replacement as ‘so many’ have gone missing (reminder-only 2)…why did they offer in the first place then?
So I ask for a refund then and get an automated email apologising about the order, and one of the lines says ‘unfortunately your title was out of stock’…which made me wonder were the books ever sent out in the first place? My delivery office has never messed up before, and the fact that they don’t even follow up missing orders (which would cost potentially a pretty penny for them) makes me think they never send out some orders at all.
They’ve definitely lost me as a customer and i’ll be making anyone else aware before they buy in the future.

Comments

• Th
      30th of Jun, 2011

Sorry to hear of the problems you have experienced.

Could you email us your order reference number to contactus@bookdepository.co.uk so we can look into this for you?

Many thanks,

Zara
    Customer Advisor
    The Book Depository Ltd

2nd of Jun, 2017

Yes my experience also!!! Customer service didnt answer my emails. Lost 4 books. No REFUND!!! Terrible company!!!

• Ed
      8th of Feb, 2018

Exactly the same case to me, they asked me to check with my local delivery office and then to confirm my address. There are various local postal providers but they can't tell me the exact local service provider name and tracking code, so the solution is totally unreasonable & meaningless!

• Nb
      21st of Apr, 2018

Reference BDU-518-95635686571

Same experience - with 5 books i bought on 23rd March and received only 2 till 21st April 2018.
    On contacting customer service they told me to go check with the local post office. Did not even provide any courier details. Looks like they have not learnt to streamline their after sales process looking at the number of customer complaints online. So basically they transferred the onus of tracing the missing books to me without even providing me courier details. Needless to say this will be my first and last purchase from the website. Have requested for a refund - lets see if i even get a response!!!

• So
      25th of Apr, 2018

I've been waiting three weeks now for my delivery, not one book out of five have come. I have emailed them today and hope to get a responce asap!!

• Bk
      26th of Jun, 2018

Omg exactly the same experience as mine. Book Depository customer service is so terrible. I have ordered the books since 9 june, and it is already 26 june and I have not received a single book. Worst of all, their customer service enquiry has no help at all. They asked me to check with the local delivery office but said there was no tracking code. How do I even check my parcel if they themselves do not even know the tracking code. I am extremely disappointed in their service, and would make sure to tell anyone who is interested to buy from them to think twice.

• Al
      7th of Jul, 2018

Reference BDU-314-80655018893

Same! Except that I ordered just one single book, which got dispatched on 15 June, but still hasn't arrived after 16 business days or 23 days. Fuming because it's only one book, and regretting my decision to buy from them when there are SO MANY OTHER ONLINE BOOKSTORES we can choose from. I have just asked for them to resend it, let's just wait and see...

• Bo
      18th of Aug, 2018

Same experience!!! No follow up with my missed order! Worst customer experience! Just said it has been delivered but no any proof and follow up!!!

Order No.: BDM-148-66655133899

29th of Aug, 2018

Save here in Singapore. Bought 2 book and have not received any after 10+ business days. There is no way to check whether they really shipped them out or not.

• Ti
      12th of Sep, 2018

Same! I have waited for two months since I first placed my order. Terrible company! Don't trust them!

12th of Sep, 2018

Waiting for three weeks now after dispatching, four after ordering. Nothing arrived. All my orders from Amazon got delivered in time with the local post. This website is definitely fishy and should be put out of business. AVOID. Order from Amazon instead and cough up a few dollars for postage, at least it arrives. SCAMMERS.

13th of Sep, 2018

@Anna Pelova Taking my words back... it was the post that held it for two weeks for whatever reason!

13th of Sep, 2018

It turned out the order arrived it 6 days but the idiots at the local post held it for 14 days for whatever reason... worth checking, even if you don’t have a tracking number they can locate a package by name and address if you say it’s been missing. So Book Depository has done their job well.

• Da
      19th of Sep, 2018

@Anna Pelova where do you live? In my country, there's no way to track items based on Name

Hi,
    I should have read the reviews on this book site Book depository I Am from Australia and have ordered books from them before they have come but are very slow. I received another 2 books today but they were someone else s books. I have tried calling them and emails they are the worst company i have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. They HAVE NO CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL... They were rude and blamed me and the postal service. They have lost me as a customer and i will make sure that i tell everyone that there service is repugnant . Rant over. If any one else could advise me of a better book store to purchase from i would be so happy.

• Da
      19th of Sep, 2018

Goodness me, had i known these reviews, I would never even consider buying from book depository.
    customer service is horrible, no books, no refunds, nothing...
    This is just ridiculous...What a joke...

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER BUYING BOOKS FROM BOOK DEPOSITORY.
    well, unless you have money to throw away, then go ahead.

• Qu
      25th of Sep, 2018

I ordered 8 books more than a month ago but received only 1. The only 1 book I received was 2 weeks ago, no more delivery after that. The shipment should take 5-8 days (working days I suppose) but now it has come to more that 20 working days!!

This was my 2nd order. The 1st I ordered 2 books & received all 2.

What is more disappointing is that the customer service is unable to provide the shipment/consignment note number or anything as proof of shipment, & they are in fact asking to check with local postal service!! How in the world can you track a lost/undelivered mail without any reference number?

I should have seen all these reviews before buying so many books from book depository.

• Ci
      11th of Oct, 2018

Yup same experience here. They got my address wrong. Didnt offer an alternative other than "please check back weekly." And when i do, they copy and pasted their replies from previous emails to me. No enthusiasm and zero effort to solve the problem. It has been about 2 months, if not more. I have ordered from them for many years with no issues. But now they treat my customer loyalty like trash. No offers of apology nor ownership of the mistake in address. They asked me to check with my local post. And when i told them my local post has no records of it. They said it cannot be traced by my order number nor do they provide a tracking number. So what rubbish are your customer service people sprouting out of their mouths? Are they bots??? You have lost me and you know, word of mouth is a marvellous way to either make or break a business.