TechSkills / Breach of Contract

I wanted to touch base with you due to the fact that I believe that I have been taken advantage of greatly by a local company called Tech Skills (TechSkills.com). Last August I enrolled in Tech Skills due to the fact that I had lost my job at that time and I was in search of some computer training. All I wanted was my Cisco certification. I spoke with a gentleman there name Steve Klein who had told that I should get at least 4 certifications so that I would have the all around training that I need. Well the Cisco certification only costs $2500 and the "membership" costs $8,000. He told me that I would make 65k a year at a minimum if I had all of these certifications. Well, I went ahead and took out the student loan based on this hoping to make this kind of money. I was leaving a career to start a new one. So the experience would be helpful. After attending the classes I found out that the rate of pay for a person just having the certifications would only have entry level pay (based on what the "teachers" told me.) Due to the fact that you still need experience in the field to earn the higher pay scale. Well, I decided to accept a job in my current field because I have a family to think about and I had to make at least 50k a year to make ends meet. At that point I asked if I could get a refund (which was 2 months later.) for the amount of the classes not taken because I needed to get a f/t job and I could not finish the classes in the 10 month period allotted for the "membership" that I had paid for. Well at that time Steve Klein told me to not worry about it that they would extend my membership indefinately until my classes were finished. Well, this happened for a while until my teacher Eric told me that it was up to Tech Skills to decide whether to extend me or not. Well, I was shocked by this because of the conversation I had with Steve 2 months prior. Well after that I had a conference call with Tony Hausmann (Director) and Steve Klein and Tony stated that he would extend my classes indefinately as long as I only took 4 certifications. I agreed to that and it was fine. Well on the second page of our updated agreement that I signed it stated that I had only 90 days to get a full refund which I understand was my fault because I did not read it carefully but I totally missed it. This was in Febuary. Well, since then my wife had surgery for cancer so my mind was not on school and it slipped my mind. Yesterday, I went into Tech Skill's website to start my classes again and it said I was locked out because my "Membership" had expired. Well, I would like a refund for the classes that I have not finished. I requested that in writing and Tony Hausmann basically told me that I cannot have one because I signed this document that stated I only had 90 days to cancel which he never told me about that part of the document. I feel I was completely misled from the start and I just want my refund for the classes not taken. I have requested this numerous times and the staff at Tech Skills talked me out of the refund. They would keep referring me to different people to speak with and eventually my time ran out for the partial refund. By having me sign a document that states that I only have 90 days for a partial refund is terrible. Why should I pay for “classes” that I never started??? According to my calculations they owe me $6500. That place is a total rip off and I feel everyone should know about it. Please help! Feel free to contact me. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

After further consideration I decided to contact you because I am tired of the run around that I have been getting from tech skills. I wish to cancel my student loan. I would like this portion refunded. Please seek the refund directly from Tech Skills. I am very surprised that a reputable company such as yourselves would do business with a company that is in business to take people’s money and provide “schooling” that is not nationally accredited. Most of the “instructors” are not even certified in the area that they are teaching. My first instructor was supposed to be teaching me A+ certification. Well he was not even A+ certified at the time he was supposed to be instructing me. He was taking his course at the same time I was. How can someone instruct me on a subject that they are not familiar with? What a joke. I am shocked that this Tech Skills has not been fined for this type of action. This is a class action lawsuit on the horizon. I have found that there were two better business bureau complaints this year alone for the exact same thing that I am referring to.

In closing, it is not the fact that I am trying to just not pay for classes I have taken. I will gladly pay for classes taken but I definitely feel I should not have to pay for classes that I have never started.

Ro
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Be
      4th of Apr, 2016

Any updates or Information since then? I was in there course... Unfortunately I took two :-(

• Cb
      13th of Nov, 2015

I would like to respond to Jerry regarding this bogus complaint against myself, Christopher Bryant, a past Campus Director for TechSkills LLC. I would never conduct myself in such an unprofessional manner. I care about my students success. I won't go into details as I respect my students and staffs privacy and is a FERPA violation. I will however defend myself on record, and I deny this accusation.

• Wi
      16th of Nov, 2012

Hello to you all. Tech skills had a location in Tampa, Florida that has closed. I just dial the number (813)491-1000 and no answer. I was told some of the same information about taking certain certification before going for CCNA or MSC. which is indeed and up selling tactic. My issue with the school. I'm paying on a loan in which i didn't receive the full training. if you knew or thought that the location in Tampa, fl would close then why keep enrolling students? I took the first portion of my A+ test but when i came back to finish the second part of the exam, the school closed. I spoke to a lawyer yesterday about the situation. The loan company tuition option has no answers for this problem. There business is to collect payments. A corporate office number i found on the web. (310)704-4841 Fax#(512)328-2979

5th of Jul, 2012

FYI - Companies are now looking closely at schools like this as to many of them are passing students with no real understanding of the jobs they will perform. I already had 14 years of computers with some programming skills when I went to this school. Good luck to all.

5th of Jul, 2012

I totally agree. I was told that my contract was up in February however I recently found the original contract and the end date should have been May. They told me that the first 2 basic classes for A+ would be necessary for me to get my MCSA. Long story short, the classes took longer than I was told they would. I believe I would have finished if the teaching coordinator would have done his job.
    There was only one teacher for the text portion of the classes and the teacher for the Lab portion was out most of the time due to Chemotherapy treatments. The school never got a replacement or substitute teacher and there was no teacher for the labs. I was told my time was up in February and never completed the last 2 courses as I had run out of time.
    They still have over $520 for certifications I have already paid for and the branch here in San Jose Calif. disassociated themselves with the main company in Dallas as they wanted accreditation that the main company does not have. I was told that the Main office was the one I had to contact for restitution for the 2 Microsoft Certification that were pre paid and any complaints that I had. Good luck to you all.
    If you decide on a major lawsuit towards this company count me in. This sounds like a problem that goes back to staff that is poorly trained by the corp. office as it seems to be a problem that is all over the country. I would suggest that and an outside committee have all records pulled for the last 10 years and every student be contacted for verification of completion of their classes. We are the ones who found this site and posted our complaints, probably less than .05%. Imagine the amount of people out there that had problems and didn't post them about this company.

2nd of Jul, 2012

I enrolled back in 09' at the Houston branch for the MCSA program. I completed my A+, Network+, MCP, and the 70-290 courses. Well after that they didn't wanna give me anymore extensions so I could finish the 70-291 course. So I've been trying to do it on my own cause i have all the labs. What would some of you recommend I do about it, cause I've tried calling the lady who was my advisor and she never returns my calls. Could I get a refund for the last course if I haven't completed it?

3rd of Jan, 2011

When I signed up there was no 1 year limit and it was instituted after I started. The Instructors I met there were very nice, however the lab instructor was out for Kemothearpy and very sick most of the year leaving only one instructor to cover both the classroom and the lab. The instructor that was there tried his best, but could not cover what was needed in the lab. It wa unfortunate that there was no other teacher for these classes. As a result I didn't complete the MCSE classes as I had no instructor to help me through. Complaining to the person in charge, Mike at the San Jose, Ca. Techskill only created more difficulty in me achieving my goals as he blamed it all on me. This company should be fully investigated and have all the students in the past 10 years come forward to verify if they got the training they deserved. I would not recomend this school to a friend

• Fr
      18th of Aug, 2010

If you guys think you get ripped off, then you should talk to former employees. This is a dirty company and takes advantage of students and doggs out employees.

• Ti
      15th of Mar, 2010

Any field you go into you need experience to make money. If you dont know that, thats on you. Do your homework...

It is unrealistic to think if you pay for schooling that intitles you to something that the rest of society has to work for. Experience and education are the recepie for a high paying job.

Should I go get my CPR certification and then go to a hospital and demand 300K. It doesnt work that way. If it did, there wouldnt be colleges or entry level positions.

• Me
      25th of Dec, 2009

I wanted to practice installing a C.P.U. and they didnt even have thermal paste for the active heat sink. The instructor Larry Jones was shocked that I would want to practice installation. If your looking for a cheap way to get your A+ just read a book and buy the exams.

• Ne
      24th of Nov, 2009

I'm a student that is in training. I came here with rehab funds to transfer to a non labor intensive job. I like what I see so far. Had I come across this before signing up. I bet I would have gone somewhere else. It's possible that these issues are school specific. I didn’t see anyone complaining about my school yet. I can see how these guys are slammed for being salespeople. My sales guy was a good sales person, he would move some serious cars but he knew when to stop. I'm also the type of person that doesn’t get sold on things. Even still, I'm thinking about upping to what he recommended in the first place which was the longer training and more certs. I saw value in this place and still do.

Today in the break room I came across a binder where former students have sent in letters thanking the staff and talking about how great it was. I can see how the outcome of finding a job would totally put your education experience into a certain light. I hope I get one, fingers crossed. I just wanted to throw it out there that it cant be all that bad because I'm doing just fine.

• Tr
      24th of Jul, 2009

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I have had similar experiences with TechSkills.

When I signed up, I sat in a room with a "mentor" and talked to him for and hour and a half about the school. I really liked the guy (seemed knowledegable and personable) and was excited about tackling the course load with this mentor by my side. As it turned out, this guy wasn't there during the time I was there (even though I had told him my schedule and that his passion for the course material was the main reason I was signing up). And before anyone make a comments, I'm a straight male so it wasn't a crush or anything. Haha. Anyways, I was always "pawned off" on another mentor that I just didn't get the same vibe from. Personally I liked her a lot, but she just never really seemed to have any answers. She had a TON of certifiations, but seemed like perhaps she was the book smart type and not able to put it into practical use. I mean...with the certs she had, there is no way TechSkills could have afforded to keep her there if she was proficient in all of the areas.

One example: I was working on my A+ cert and I asked her a question and instead of helping me through it, she printed off a few pages from Webopedia and handed it to me. My original mentor asked me about it and I told him that I was having second thought about the school. He assured me that he would talk to the other mentor and me more available to help me. Well, from that point on there was a weird awkwardness between me and the female mentor and the male mentor never really lived up to him promise to be around more. I became discouraged and hardly ever went back to the campus (half hour+ drive away) and tried to continue the cert training strictly online. I will say that training at the campus is easier because they have equipment that I just wouldn't have at home (although not all of it worked properly). I became more discouraged and fell behind in my studies.

After the end of my enrollment, I approached the campus director and sort of poured my heart out to him about me experience. He agreed to extend my membership for a month and another month for each test I passed. So I started again in May and within two months I had knocked out three tests. May was free, passing one test should have given me all of June to pass another. Passing the second test should have given me all of July to pass a third test and passing the third should have given me all of August. And that's what I planned on. Well, I guess I was too efficient in passing my first two tests because they lumped those into one month and I found out a week before the end of July that if I didn't pass another test that my extended enrollment would end. Well, I thought I had another month to study and needless to say I failed. I spoke with the director and he refused to honor his agreement to extend one month for each test pass. Even though it was a kind gesture on his part to extend my enrollment to begin with, he should have kept his word.

While these complaints are enough, my major complains has to do with a bundle of exam vouchers that I purchased when I signed up. Because of the troubles listed above, I didn't use all of the vouchers. I was assured that I would be able to use them as I studied on my own. Recently I contacted them about using my remaining vouchers and was told that I couldn't use them. They said that they assume that I would use my vouchers while I was enrolled and they just weren't available anymore. I asked for a refund on my remaining vouchers and was denied that as well. Basically I paid for 12 tests, used 5 and TechSkills pocketed the rest of the money. Not cool at all. I've filed a BBB complaint and I guess I'll see where that leads me.

• Oc
      10th of Jul, 2009

I AGREE TECHSKILLS RIP ME OFF TOO THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME ! THEY WOULDNT GIVE ME A REFUND! AND NOW IM SCREWED! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO AND I CANT DEFER IT DUE TO ITS NOT A FEDERAL LOAN ITS A PRIVATE LOAN AND THEY DIDNT EVEN TELL ME ITS A PRIVATE LOAN OR ELSE I WOULDVE NEVER TOOK IT! PLEASE IF ANYONE IS TRYING TO TAKE THIS ### TO COURT OR DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PLEASE CONTACT ME AT olgamarie.cruz@yahoo.com I WOULD LOVE TO HELP IN ANY KIND OF WAY AND MAYBE IT CAN HELP ME OUT TOO! THANK U AND GOOD LUCK!

• St
      15th of May, 2009
    TechSkills - worthless
    Saint Paul
    Minnesota

This school is a joke. There is no way anyone trying to find work in any course they offer is qualified to do the work needed to be successful. I think it is time for a class action law suit.

• Sc
      14th of May, 2009

I honestly do not believe that suing will get anywhere. The issues I experienced involved a lack of interest in my success and a "car dealer" mentality when it came to helping me withdraw. I was misled in regards to the withdraw policy, I was told I could withdraw at any time with my tuition being prorated. I was sure to ask this question because at the time, I was possibly moving to a new town that did not have the school. Turns out, the withdraw policy was only 90 days. And dont ask for this in writing, they can only tell you about it. My honest opinion is that there are countless online resources for the A+ tests or even technical schools that offer the course at a MUCH lower rate. I kick myself daily for the lack of consideration I gave to each of these sources. I am in the process of trying to get in contact with ANYONE at the HQ of techskills to no avail. If you choose to proceed with Techskills, get EVERYTHING in writing. know that you are responsible for the course work. In my situation, I was very limited in my ability to get assistance with questions, and finally, don't let them push you into something you don't want. If you just want A+, then just take the A+ course. They will TRY AND SELL YOU!
    Good luck.

• Sl
      14th of May, 2009

I've got a question...I see that many of the posts here are
    About suing and getting money back, but what I'd like
    To know are the reasons for dropping out. I know its online
    Stuff and there's suppose to be an instructor to help but
    How is it REALLY? I'm looking to go there just for the A+
    Certification. Oh and will be attending the madison, wi
    Campus for transfer to brookfield wi campus cuz I'm
    Moving during that time. Please respond !!!

• Sc
      20th of Apr, 2009

I have been shafted by this school as well. Long story short, I am trying to find any contact information at the schools headquarters that may be helpful. Does anyone have anything?

• Es
      1st of Apr, 2009

This School has not fulfilled its obligation to me in regards to the contract that I signed where I would receive my books and needed help in a good timely fashion. I am currently waiting for books that I should have had 4 weeks ago. I have not received a response to any of the last 4 emails that I have sent to 3 ladies that are at the school.

TechSkills also was unable to fulfill their obligation to a vocational Externship that I was to complete. I signed a contract for the vocational portion in October. I started going to school 12 hours a week and once I completed my medical terminology course I was to complete an externship where I was to work in a medical facility for 120 hours. In order to complete this I was to take time off from my then employer Wachovia Bank. It turned out that I was out on Short term disability from having surgery. I instructed the vocational director around December 2nd to let her know when I would be able to complete this externship. My former instructor let me know that she did not make any phone calls until Dec 23rd when I came in for my 2 certifications. I waited for several weeks and I finally had to let the vocational director know that I was going to be returning to work Jan 26th and would not be able to take any more time off from work. I had to take an incomplete for this course since TechSkills could not line up an externship during the timeframe of Dec. 19th thru Jan 26th

Also this past October the management staff made a decision where they felt that they did not need the instructors to be full time. TechSkills placed all but one instructor on part time status and took away their benefits. Most of the instructors that were there when I first started are no longer there which includes my former Instructor who had to leave, since she needed to work full time and needed health benefits. My former instructor really cared about her students but after she left us, the medical students were left with no one that we could really call on for any help or guidance. They finally gave us contact information from someone at the Charlotte campus but they were not at school on the nights that I attended that often.

I would not recommend TechSkills so long as things stay as they are. When you pay or go into debt thousands and commit months of your life to something, you expect to get more than a stack of books and written worksheets and tests.

I have to say that if anyone is going to take a coding course do it in a "real" class setting. Not one where worksheets and over priced books are your teachers. This was definitely something I could of done online and a lot cheaper.

• Th
      26th of Mar, 2009

Wow... I had no idea and now am thinking that I screwed myself, seeing that I'd like to discontinue my certification training. So now I'll be left to pay the balance on a loan that I won't even fulfill the full service of??? Just Crazy...

16th of Mar, 2009

I am having issues with the Nashville branch. When I enrolled of course the girl in the office sold me the moon, telling me that they would work around my schedule (I work 3rd shift), I would get top notch training, and hands on experience. First of all, I broke my hand and had to have surgery so I had to take a month off, leave of absence as they called it. I returned to school and a month or so later I started having to work overtime and could not make my hours on campus, I asked to complete the work online. I was threatened with a 60 day suspension. Keep in mind that I paid 4000 dollars up front and they threatened me with suspension?! Thats just the start. My "instructor" is completely incompetant. I had a question about Route Summarization (I was in the CCNA program) and when I asked him to explain exactly how he got his answer, I was told, "thats just how it works." Half of the computers in the class did not work, and the ones that did were slow and often did not have the required software or tools needed to complete my coursework. People would sit in the "quiet" lab and talk, extremely loudly, on their cell phones and the instructor did nothing to stop them. This was supposed to be a professional environment and the "director" of the campus often brought his dog into the "school" with him. When I finally confroted them about all of this and told the director I demanded a refund all he could talk about was about how he wouldnt bring his dog in anymore. That was not the point. This school is a total scam and ripoff. I hope someone out there will read this and think twice before giving them a penny of your money. And judging by what I have read above, it apparently happens across the country.