TCF Bank / Deceptive Practices
I would like to inform everyone that TCF uses deceptive practices to increase their fee revenue. We have had a "totally free" checking account with TCF for years. In Jan TCF put a notice in our statement (written in very small font) in a section they normally reserve for advertising informing us they would start charging fees for accounts that do not maintain a min balance. We normally do not check our statements often as we have low activity in that account and were surprised to find they had charged us fees (of course our luck we were keeping a low balance at the time).
It was clear to us that TCF Bank's intent was to deceive consumers by posting the notice in a way that customers would miss the notification in an effort to increase their fee revenue. This borderlines on fraud. If a company plans to materially change the terms of an agreement, it's normal practice to inform the other party in a seperate written letter to clearly explain the change. In some industries this is the law and I'm surprised it's not in the banking industry. Customer service didn't seem to care and quoted "we receive complaints about everything all the time". That doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I'm glad they are open 7 days a week so I can close my accounts there as soon as possible.
More TCF Bank Complaints & Reviews
- TCF Bank - TCF takes advantage of their customers! 
- TCF Bank - Hold on cash deposit 
- TCF Bank - Worst customer service ever 
- TCF Bank - TCF to pay in class-action 
- TCF Bank - Fraud and Customer Service 
- TCF Bank - Overdraft Fee Fraud By TCF 
- TCF - Bad Account Transaction
- TCF Bank - Deposit availability confussion! 
- TCF Bank - Fraudulent charges 
- TCF Bank - Unethical Practices