Target Stores / bad service

1 2331 E. Lincoln HighwayLanghorne, PA, United States Review updated:

On the above date, Target Asset Protection Personnel handcuffed my minor child to a bench in their security office, and accused him of shoplifting. He was not allowed to contact his parents, and was dictated a "confession" to sign, as well as an acknowldgement that he was never to set foot in a Target store again. Target then used this "confession", which was extracted under duress, to obtain a conviction for shoplifting. They also later made a report to a clearing house for employment applicants that they were in possession of this confession, causing my son to lose at least one potential job which he had applied for. Is this Target's Corporate policy, to handcuff children to a bench and not allow them access to their parents, in order to obtain a confession, or was this the act of some rogue security employee. Target's Corporate Headquarters has ignored my requests for an explanation of their behavior in this incident. People need to be aware that this may happen so they can stay out of Target stores, lest this happen to them!!

Va

Comments

• Va
      8th of Oct, 2008

This complaint spans several weeks.

My employer is closing, and Target sent a representative to talk to us about going there when the store closes.

The rep they sent was the head of thier Human Rescources department. They had arranged a "job fair" in our store to tell us about working at Target, pay, and jobs available. She came totally unprepared and had no information to give out - keep in mind this meeting was planned WEEKS in advance.

Despite that, I filled out an in-store application anyway. Several days later, another HR worker called my home and asked me to come in to talk to them. When I came in, they made me wait for 15 minutes to get a hold of her; and all she had to say was that I needed to fill out an application (she couldn't have said that over the phone?). I told her I had filled an application out already - so she put me on hold for another 20 minutes to look for it. She came back on the line and told me my application wasn't finished and I needed to fill out the last part. I told her I had already filled out the 'entire' application - she put me on hold again to look for that! She returned and asked me to come to the office to fill out a paper version because they "lost" mine.

I filled out the paper applications and waited another half-hour for my first interview (1 of 3). After the interview I waited for the second one. Both interviews went very well and the interviewers (not HR employees) where very nice.

After interview number two, the HR girl told me that my third interview would be done by their head of security, but he wouldn't be back for a few days. I waited a week and called back - they corrected the original "few days" to "he's on vacation for two weeks".

After the two weeks I called back to talk to HR about scheduling the interview. The first four times I called, no one answered the phone at all. I kept trying and got an operator to answer twice. One of the times she transferred me to HR and HR just plain hung up! The second time, the operator (again, not HR dealing with it) told me that there where no openings in their interview schedule, but I could leave a message and they would call me back later.

I didn't feel the need to leave a message. If these people treat you like ### after offering you a job, how badly will they treat you when you actually work there?

I talked to my co-workers who had considered working there and ALL of them expressed similar experiences. HR had either been openly rude or simply avoided talking to them all together.

6th of Jun, 2009

Did you son steal the items?? If so then it is justice. I know how target AP works and they will not apprehend your son unless they have solid proof.

• Da
      9th of Jun, 2009

I am sorry about your experience. I (sadly) work at Target, I am not AP though so do not worry! I have never heard of anything like this. And like the person above commented AP cannot "hold" anyone unless they see someone steal.

• Ti
      4th of Sep, 2009

Chances are he's just lying to you, remember like you used to do to your parents when you got into trouble?

• Qu
      12th of Dec, 2010

That is not an acceptable way to treat children. Target treats
    bad people and they want people to buy stuff from them and
    look at the way they treated your child. I think you should contact
    immediately the Better Business Bureau and file a formal complaint.
    Target really went out of the line and should give you and you
    child an apology.
    Good Luck.

• Me
      8th of Feb, 2011

Being target AP I can tell you that bad stops happen, however if your son signed a confession and was entered into esteem then it was a legit apprehension. Further your son was probably being a little punk which is why he was handcuffed, dont try to solicit sympathy by saying he is a minor. Theft=Handcuffs adult or minor.