Swinton Insurance / bad service

I have car insurance with Swinton and it's amount to expire. I got the usual renewal notice from them, then I got another, then another. Cant blame them for trying I guess.

Today I got a call on my mobile asking if I wanted to go ahead with the proposed renewal. I told the girl that if I did, I would have replied to one of the letters that they had sent me and I hung up. A few seconds later she called again, so I put her to answer phone, she rang 4 more times within 5 minutes so I eventually answered and told her very clearly that I was not interested and hung up again. She called again a few seconds later. By now I was getting annoyed so I answered and asked her why she kept calling me when I had already made it very clear that I wasnt interested. She said 'but you havent listed to what I have to say' - I told her that I couldnt care less about what she had to say and hung up again.

She called 3 or 4 more times so each time I answered the call but just left the phone on the table and didnt respond to her.

Eventually I got so wound up by her that i decided to do the same to her and so i called her several times and asked if she wanted to buy a dog. she very quickly became annoyed with this (mission accomplished) and then said that I shouldnt do this to her because she has all my personal info on the screen infront of her...Basically, she was threatening me (maybe she will send the boys round later) anyway I decided that enough was enough and called the swinton head office to complain. I told the complaints guy what had happened and he said he would look into it and get back to me. Sure enough, 30 mins later he called back and said that according to the girl I had called her and was abusive and as such he rejected my complaint. I told him to listen to the recordings of the calls and he said 'unfortunately we only record a small % of calls and yours have not been recorded'- very convenient!!!

Anyway thats enough ranting from me. Swinton lost a customer forever and hopefully a few more because of this complaint.

The girl's name is Louise and she works at the Hitchin branch of Swinton.

Va

Comments

• Cl
      10th of Nov, 2008

I agree totally with your complaint against Swinton. I too have had bad dealings with telephonists in this company. Also elsewhere, they think that they can treat you anyway they like they called me a liar saying i had not asked for temporary insurance and then charged me for a whole year. Conveniently for them they could not find recordings of my conversations which I pleaded for them to listen to. In my experience these people (managers) of call centres are only sticking up for their co workers who may or may not have had a bad day or a period.

I have reccommended to all myu family and friends to boycott Swinton and my friend who has had negative dealings with them has also done this too. We are sick to death of being CONNED via telephone. In future I will be going into an office and arranging with someone face to face so that I can actually have them bloody well sign what I am buying from them as the BUYER appears to have no say in what we ar in fact buying.

They have now lost a good few customers and I will continue to advise people against them. Also read the small print.

23rd of Jul, 2009

After buying a new car in Oct 08 I couldnt transfer my insurance with Swinton but had to take out a new policy, which I did. On taking out my new policy I gave them my new bank details and new payment date to coincide with my wage payment. The first payment came out before the agreed date and when I went to compain, looked at my insurance details and noticed I had breakdown assistance... I had never took out breakdown assistance or even spoken about it when taking out my cover. I had previously spoken to the Oldham branch to complain and a member of staff pretended to be the manager, so I decided to go in in person. This was in November 2008. The manager was not concerned that someone had pretended to be her and told me the person who had added the breakdown insurance without my knowledge no longer worked for them. I was promised a refund on the bank charges from them taking an early payment out of my wage account (which never materialised!) and was told that the breakdown cover would be cancelled, although I could not be refunded for the cover that I had already previously paid for!! I agreed to this and have continued to make my monthly payments.
    Today I received a letter telling me that my breakdown insurance is up for renewal and I immediately rung the Oldham Swinton branch. I have been told that when I took the cover out that I only had 14 days to cancel it and after aguing that I never took the cover out and had spoken to the manager in November regarding this was told I could have a £30 refund off my car insurance renewal!!
    I have tried to phone their complaints line, as I did in November but again to no avail, as I cannot get through... no surprises there then!
    How can a company get away with adding extras you dont want, refuse to refund you when you complain and then carry on charging you for the very thing you have complained about.
    I have phoned a number for the FSA only to hear a message that they do not deal with complaints!! So have no idea where to complain!
    Needless to say I will not be renewing with Swinton and would advise others to be wary of this company. If they advocate lying in their staff, including managers how can they be trusted??

• De
      27th of Jul, 2009

My 1st year I can't complain about that part you at Swinton go right because it was online, but this year I've found cheaper quotes ells where & now I’m have trouble getting my no claims from them, they keep saying that they will send it out 1st class but it never arrives in the post, sad thing is when I 1st set up the 1st years insurance this was online the problems only start when you need to renew you have to go through your local branch and as stated by all the previous commentators the staff at Swinton are all liars I hope this is not with out exception, hey Swinton Head Office you need to sort this because I will be tell every one I know to stay well clear fix up or you will hear more people like me.

• Da
      29th of Aug, 2009

My friend was visiting from Belgium at same time purchasing my father's car. He needed car insurance for 3 weeks. We went to Swinton. We were told we'd have to take out a 10 month policy but would be no trouble as long as we cancelled before the new month and there would be a cancellation fee of £60... £10 to Saber and £50 to Swinton. It's cost £179! for 1 month so it wasn't cheap but we had no choice (payments coming from my bank account because he had no debit card for UK).

Well the time came when we should cancel on the 3rd week. We called to cancel but was told we'd have to cancel it with the person we opened the policy with; which I thought was strange. Tired to call all that week to cancel with same story that the person was not available. Finally my friend lost his patients and said he wanted cancelled NOW. He was then told there was a cancellation fee of £165!!! Not £60 like we were told. I then took the phone as my friend isn't from the UK and doesn't speak fluent English, and asked what on earth this man was talking about. He told me the same thing, I said "No we were told by Andy C**per it was going to be £60. He then said "He made a mistake" I said "that's not my problem" He then went on to say "It's your word against ours" Which it wasn't because my sister-in-law was there also and there were two other employees at the branch at the same time not preoccupied I might add. They should have corrected him if he made a mistake.
    I said "were is Andy C**per? I want to speak to him." He said "He no longer works there." I said "OK, so if I come into the branch everyday then he shouldn't be there?" He then retracted that statement and said he was actually out sick. Now this man just accused me of not being truthful and he just blatantly lied. I asked to speak to their manager as he was also absent too????
    I then finished that conversation by saying send me the bill and I'll sort this mess out on my return to the UK and that I'd already cancelled the direct debit.

When I returned I had two letters one saying the policy had been cancelled and the second threatening that if I didn't pay (which was now £152???) in 7 days my details would be passed to their debt collection agency! These letters were in a space of 13 days!
    I write to them in complaint then I received a copy of their complaint procedure. Then I received another letter saying they were going to collect the fee of now £156.86 from my bank account in 7 days. I went to the bank and made sure the direct debit was cancelled. I also received another letter from their customer assistance team saying I needed my friends signed authorisation to put forward my complaint even though they were attempting to dip their fingers into my bank account.

So I sent the same complaint with my friends signature. Also I said if you take anything from my account while I am disputing this then that would be breach of the OFT 2003 guidance on debt collection (unfair business practices) and could also be breaching codes of practice to which they are subscribed. (Which I copied that from a Martin on this forum, thank you)
    And that I had complained to the Ombudsman and would also to the FSA.

That must have done the trick; I received a letter saying the debt in question had been closed.
    Didn't receive an apology though??? Tsssssssssk
    Still going to complain to their CEO (Peter Halpin) on this matter and the FSA.

I want to warn everyone NOT to do business with Swinton. And if you have and are going through same thing then don't yield to their threats.

• Pr
      7th of Oct, 2009

They charged me extra £38 for some minor changes to Policy Schedule and Statement of Details which I felt was due to their fault. Sending them a letter of complaint as they also sent the Policy Documents on badly printer paper, ink had run out, and not all documents listed on letter was included in the pack. How unprofessional was that?

Will update to see if I get a refund or update on their customer service.

• Dr
      5th of Feb, 2010

I cant believe that Swinton get away with as much as they do they are and absolute disgrace!

I had a company car for many years so had no no claims bonus, so decided to piggy back on my ex wifes policy with Swinton.

Last year when the policy was coming up for renewal after 3 years, we decided to ensure my car through a different broker.

My wife was as previously reported above was bombarded by sales calls and on each ocaision told the Swinton sales person that she was not going to renew the joint policy for both are cars and would be taking out a much smaller one just for hers.

She subsequently did decide to buy a policy from Swinton for her car at the end of October 2009 and I went elsewhere for mine at the same time.

Low and behold she gets a letter a couple of weeks later from Swinton saying that she has defaulted on the premium installment for the RENEWED policy for BOTH cars !!!

She calls the writer and explains that she had told several sales callers that she was not renewing and had taken out a new policy just for her car, and is told that she had to tell the local branch!!

Swinton then demand proof that alternative insurance has been taken out for my car otherwise they will charge a cancellation fee.

I duly fax them a copy of my insurance certificate, and 2 weeks later my ex gets another threatening letter saying that further costs have been incurred a they have not received a copy of my insurance (even though I have a Fax receipt). I then send it again to another Swinton drone, who assures me that if he gets it the matter will be closed, and I call him after I've sent it and he confirms he has received it.

A couple of weeks later another letter again advising the costs are still outstanding, and a few weeks after that a call from a firm called TNC Legal Services threatening legal action.

Again they ask for proof of alternative insurance to be faxed to Swinton and this time with a copy to them.

I duly oblige and even the TNC guy cant explain what the basis of Swintons continued claim is.

But none the less a couple of weeks later my ex gets another letter from TNC which arrives on the 29/1/2010, dated the 21/1/2010 and giving 7 days notice of legal action unless she pays £179.29!

See you in court boys !!!

• Bi
      12th of Feb, 2010

I came to get a new car from work so called Swinton at Oldham to cancell my policy I was told I would need to pay £50 to cancell the policy, Ok i agreed as you have just had a direct debit payment the same day for £61 you can refumd the £11 and keep the 50 as they collect payments in advance the snotty nosed girl then went on to lecture me that the direct debit was theirs and that i had to pay £50 extra I disagreed and asked to speak to the manager, she said she was the manager but I knew this was a blatent lie as I had spoken to the manager the week before when I told her she was lying and that I knew the manager she said she no longer worked there! Isaid ok i'll come in to see you in person and was about to hang up, She became flustered andstarted shouting down the phone that Iwas using abusive language and making threats!! I asked what she was talking about but she was in full throttle defense mode stating If I came to the Oldham branch she would call the police! I started to laugh becuse I presumed correctly that it was a ploy to get a co worker to listen in, So I waited for herr to take a breath and told them in a cool calm voice that I RECORD ALL telephone calls with all companies I deal with for my protection!

She then went on to say I was breaking the law that I was not allowed to record her voice, I pointed out that they do the same and that it is not illegal but cannot be used in court except to defend myself and as she was accusing me of making threats then I had every right to record the call, I also pointed out I'd be at the shop within 30 mins, I turned up at the shop which had 3-4 customers present, I was ushered quickly into a back office to be faced by two red faced women whom went on to regale me with stories about how the girl was stressed and suffering personal problems but both failed to apologise until I demanded one! I told them lying to customers is the ultimate insult and to lie to a solicitor was a BIG mistake!! I then went on to demand a business cheque for £11 and a letter typed out and signed before me to say that I was clear of any debts.

Imagine my surprise 2 days later when I recieved a demand letter from the same manager for a £50 cancelation fee!! I knew straight away what was going to happen and so I ignored that and the following 5 letters. I then recieved the letters from TNC and 3 phone calls all of which I answered and informed them of the day at the Swinton Branch and of the letter she signed each time I was asked to forward a copy to them which I declined to do as their client was instructing them and it was up to TNC to make sure the demand was not spurious! The demands were now for £125 after 2 months of further letters and increasing costs I recieved a summons from Northampton County court for £370 I filled in the summons to ask for the case to be heared at my local county court having denied thet I owed anything and returned it. I recieved a call from TNC asking why I asked for the case to be head before the court and not just paid it!! I told him if I sent him an invoice fo £370 that he did not owe he said and I quote "I would if it stopped a court hearing" I explained I was a solicitor and wanted a hearing so I could claim expense for the day he laughed and hung up.

Well the hearing was moved to my local court and I attended with a close friend who is a Barrister, We found that TNC sent a clerk to the court and when he realised I was a solicitor and my friend was a barrister hr went through the charade of offering me a discount If I paid there and then, it was our turn to laugh as he turned beetroot red when we said not only were we going before the court but we would also be presenting evidence that proves our case signed by the branch manager! So we would request an adjournment and a summons to be issued to have the manager and her friend attend the court! Well the Bright Young Thing scarpered to make a call he came back to say they no longer worked at Swinton!!! Funny I said as she answered the phone this morning! I then warned him most judges take a dim veiw of people lying to them in court! He disappeared again and came back rather flushed to say the company stood by it's decision to proceed.

So into court we go The BYT had his say and twice had to be told how to address the judge! I then gave the judge my address (opening speech) and handed over to the barrister whom asked the judge to accept into evidence my recording, the letter and the fact that the BYT had just lied in open court about both women no longer working there, and to accept the recording taken that morning of my call, The BYT went ashen and looked pyhsicaly sick, The judge looked and listened to the evidence he looked at the BYT and said he would deal with his contempt after the case was heard, poor lad he had pained look on his face! So the judgement was in my favour as follows

Dissmissal of claim.
    Awardment of expenses :
    Visit to Oldham 1 hour @£200
    Dealing with letters and calls 8 hours @ £200= £1600
    Day at court 8 hours @£200= £1600
    Barristers fees 8 hours @ £1000 per hour= £8000

Total expenses against TMC £11, 400 awarded to myself and he made the judgment final so no appeals could be lodged in court!
    The BYT was summond to appear at magistraites court and was find £150 and given 20 hours community service for contempt of court and attempting to pervert the course of justice but best of all he can no longer take the BAR and will never be a solicitor!

I recieved the cheque within a week with a letter of apolgy from TNC and one from Swinton which stated they had dissmissed the girl who took the call and demoted the manager, I don't know if they did but I presume they will think twice before lying again!
    In the 4 years I was with Swinton I paid £3489.90 in premiums so I enjoyed aHoliday to Dubai with my windfall Thank you TMC and Swinton.
    P.s Do not take what they say and don't be afraid to persue the matter further!

• Li
      3rd of May, 2010

I have currently commenced the process of making several complaints directly to Swinton for poor sevice, mis-information and deliverately misleading the customer, among others. Each time you speak with a sales consultant or branch staff, you are lied to and bullied into letting the complaint or disagreement drop. This is unethical, but it sadly must work most of the time if they keep doing it.

I was only insured with Swinton for 10 days, and I paid £130 for the privelage. I knew about the £50 cancellation fee which I was just going to have to deal with, but at no stage was I told that there were finance charges let alone that I was entering into a finance agreement. I first of all queried the premium and the guy tried to evade the question. I persisted, asking the question several times before getting a rushed answer from which was not said to be comprehendable. I have requested a written itemised statement but have yet to receive that. Unsurprisingly I have received notice that I have to cancel in writing, despite asking the direct question and receiving a no.

I was offered free accident cover for 4 months, only to find when i cancelled the car insurance, and the accident cover, I was sent a letter telling my my premium just dropped £4 a month because I no longer have accident cover! It is not free, it is apportioned as a discount into 12 months insurance. And dont forget, you are paying interest for borrowing the full amount for 12 months.

As mentioned in one of the earlier comments, they will only use voice recordings if it is to their advantage. When I explained I was not informed I was entering into a loan agreement, the guy offered to listen to the conversation, more as a threat than as to help my case. I said please do as I would like to get to the bottom of it. I havent heard more about the phone conversation. I have written a letter of complaint, and will send it to their complaints department (if I can find their postal address on their website aside from another branch) by recorded signed for as proof, and in the letter I state that all further phone conversations shall be recorded for consistency in advice and service. I dont expect anything in the next month, bu I will persist, and from what I am reading that is the key.

DO NOT USE SWINTON!

• Ez
      5th of Nov, 2010

I've had a very what seems to be common problem with swinton, My partner this year recieved a letter stating swinton were cancelling his insurance and demanded a £220 cancellation fee. So he phoned up the Leek branch and spoke to a very abusive, arrogant woman who refused to even speak decently to him, He eventually got out of her that ONE £35 payment hadnt been recieved. SO, We tried to make the payment and apologised for "one of those things", she refused to take the payment, refused to continue the policy and threatened him with debt recovery agents INSTANTLY! Thoroughly unimpressed my partner switched insurance companies and I cancelled any further payments from my card until the matter had been delt with in a business and adult like manner. My partner then phoned up SEVERAL times requesting his no-claims bonus, Swinton agree that if he pays 3 sums of £36 they will give his no claims over and the matter will be over with (agreeing now that they had not sent notification that the direct debit hadnt gone through for one payment, a complete condradiction of what the woman at the leek branch said before). SO, the payments are made and we and the new insurers await proof of no claims, no word from swinton, Swinton after even more phone calls from us refuse to deal with us entirely and refuse us the no claims. Finally our new insurers chase swinton and they refuse to deal with them, we call swinton back and demand they deal with the matter THEY have caused. New insurers phone swinton back and FINALLY after 3 months of phone calls the no claims proof is sent through. End of matter????? Nope...

My partner recieves a letter saying that they are demanding a £156 cancellation fee roughly 2 months after the matters end. I called my bank instantly and instructed them not to pay a thing to Swinton. My bank agree they cannot take anything without my authorisation and the fact that it was an old card that the direct debit was attached to, so HOW ON EARTH did they have my new account details without me giving them over, they didnt have authorisation so they didnt have the new account details either. I've signed nothing instructing them to take funds and they knew this when I told them the direct debit was cancelled way back in june. This morning, 4th November 2010 My partner recieves a letter acknowledging payment of the outstanding £156.76, I contact my bank asking them about it and they tell me there's nothing THEY can do, but I can cancell it with Swinton. I phoned Leek branch and got a nice guy called sam who instantly called collections in manchester and called me back. He tells me that the manchester office wont agree to a refund until I phone myself just incase he was lying to his employers???????????? I phone manchester myself and speak to a woman called Theresa Churchill. She is again rude, and reasonably threatening to me, telling me if I didnt make my partner phone them by 5:30 they will send out debt recovery. I then demand my refund telling her she has had no authority to take from my card at all. (At first she ebbed around the subject and I wasnt even sure if I was going to get a refund at all by the tone of her voice and refusal to discuss it). Eventually after the threats and crappy attitude she tells me that the money will leave their account tonight and its up to my bank to get the funds to me within 5 working days. I'm now £148 overdrawn, no money coming in and £5 charge per day until the debt it cleared off. Thanks swinton, christmas is coming we have children to provide for week in week out and you've just wrecked all of it. Be lucky to get an apple in their stocking at this rate.

Lets just see if the refund goes in or not...

DO NOT USE SWINTON THEIR THIEVING COWBOYS WITH CRAP INATTENTIVE STAFF!! They -KNOW- their breaking the law when they do this why on earth doesnt someone stop them!!! Watchdog here we come????

• In
      29th of Nov, 2010

None of these complaints surprise me at all.

I just arrived in the UK from abroad for many years. Bought a car and using the Internet web site gocompare.com got SUCKERED into buying the cheapest ... fool that I was.

I'd not had a claim in decades and had the proof from the US based insurer.

Premium? £700.

Got a web based cover note from them in addition to my dealers first week car insurance. Then Swintons letter came asking me for proof of No claims bonus so I email it over. First Wendy in their Windsor office tells me they have NO email! I sent it over and every question I answer results in a threat of cancellation. They tell me I am canceled as I am not allowed to leave my car unattended in a secure car park for more than a reasonable holiday time.

I am told to wait for their Manchester office to ring me with a special risk policy which might take lay up cars and US no claims bonus.

Very rude cancellation letter arrives and in 5 days not w rod from Manchester. Instead I ring Wendy and ask WHERE in their policy it excludes laid up cars? No where! So they rescind the cancellation stil awaiting Manchesters phone call AND a 700 rise in insurance premium.

I give up and go to a local broker in Maidenhead, sit down with them and they treated my like my ADVOCATE not adversary. I secure within an hour new insurance for 900 with a well respected insurance carrier who honoured my US no claims bonus and DISCOUNTED my laid up car ... for FAR LESS than Swinton.

Cancelled Swinton flat and got a refund of £150 less than I paid due to cancellation fee and 3 days coverage. They tried to cancel on me and could not provide a policy. And it's my fault?
    Called their customer service department, what an oxymoron. All they did was told me I was at fault and LIED when applying for insurance over the web site.

DO NOT BUY THEIR COVERAGE. ABSOLUTE CROOKS. If they are breaking the law, why indeed have they not been put out of their misery? I am contacting the ombudsman and hope to get relief there.

• Dm
      28th of Jan, 2011

i recieved a quate from swinton after thry cearched they sai thet were the cheapedt quatewich was £536.84 they charged me drivers legal protection £54.00 wichi never asked for thenbreakdown polisy i didnt ask for intrest charge £57.52 while ipaid by direct debit and this wae for a citroenzx leader1.4 hatchback im 40 yr old with no claims held licence for 17yr then after 6 payments theyd realised theyd made a mistske and dropped my payments to £30 per mnth i have now got a ford focus ztec 16 valve 1800cc and my quate from e, sure was £363 around £38 per month i feel i was given disonest and false info how do i get my complaint across and take action /michael brannigan 84 tudhoe moor est spennymoor co/durham dl16 6ha mob 07522626034 /michaelbrannigan11@hotmail.co.uk thank you m.brammigan

• Dm
      28th of Jan, 2011

i took out insurance with swinton ins they trawled ins companies and said they had the best offer £536.84 then they charged me for breakdown policy£15.00 service charge£15 although i paid by direst debit /intresy charge£57.52 all of wich i didnt want i paid monthly instalments of£50.00 foe a citreon zx leader 1400 cc im 40 yrs old with no claims bonus held clean licence for 17 yrs then theyd realised they made a mistake and dropped my payments to£30.00 per mnth after around 6 payments /i have just recieved a quate from e, sure for a ford focus 1800cc 16 valve a much bigger engine and newer car i feel swinton gave me false and disshonest information where and who do i see about this complaint the insurance omnbudsman maybe could you offer any advide please thank you m. brannigan 38/1/11

• As
      30th of Jan, 2011

This is a copy of an email I have written to the underwriters for swinton insurance mean as its pointless talking to the children on the phone who don't listen and who are arrogant and rude.

Dear Sir/Madam

I write to you today because I'm sick to death of contacting Swinton Insurance and them messing my policy up which I believe you are the underwriters for?
    Bike Reg: ...
    Policy Holder: ash

PLEASE Please can you or someone deal with what I have to say I'am getting nowhere with the complete fools at swinton insurance from start to finish I have had problem after problem, not only did they charge me a cancellation fee when I never even cancelled my bike insurance all I did was buy a new bike and I ended up being sent to a debt collector where my wife paid a fee!! but You have sent me a letter out with and my insurance certificate out in 2 totally different address's for about the 3rd time now???

Please forward this to Swinton as for some reason I can find an email address for them, and since they have for the second/third time sent me insurance certificates out with my wrong address I thought I best right and spell it out to them!!

Since all this I have now moved in with my wife so as a gesture of good will from yourselves I expect no charge for the address I'am about to give you that needs to go on my insurance certificate that is underwritten by yourselves, and a Formal apology and money off my policy for Swintons Admin errors and advisor errors on so many occasions, they have such a laid back attitude to all this its unreal.

New Permanent Address is as of 28.01.2011:
    23 blah blah
    sweet
    sweet
    Bpp ppp
    Please can someone who knows what they are doing put my insurance certificate and covering letter/welcome pack into this address only
    My Bike is now kept under cover on my driveway at night as apposed to on the main road.

The 2 addresses I have on my documents but the most important being on the motor insurance certificate itself that by LAW should be correct by yourselves and swinton is: 12 blah blah street, I did used to live there but then moves temp to flat blah blah ... which is the address you have on my covering letter.

You have my address WRONG on the motor ins cert anyway, so may aswell put it to my permanent address that I have just moved to above in Red Thank you.

So to recap please forward this to Swinton Bike insurance, apologies you have had the brunt of this email but I have been messed around so much by swinton I can not wait for my insurance to be up, in fact I am thinking of writing to the consumer watchdog about the problems I have had from start to finish and that they passed money I supposedly owed to a debt collection agency! I only told them I would be buying a New Bike, never did I say to cancel my policy! I'm extremely annoyed about this whole situation.

We were bullied into breakdown cover also, offering free for a few months, we dont want itm bullied into paying the debt collector money when swintons advisor obviously had no interest I was getting a new bike which I got within 2/3 weeks of selling my apache 125cc, all over google are swinton and how awful they are treating customers, so prove us wrong and correct all this please.

Again apologies you have the brunt but you are the underwriters of Swinton and I am sick of speaking to the ignorant people on the phone who only seemed interested in taking my wifes money than listening to my address.

This is the address we have on our policy certificate:

Brentwood (Registered Office and Head Office)
    Library House
    New Road
    Brentwood
    Essex
    CM14 4GD

and swinton who we went with is:

5th floor

meadow house

medway street

maidstone

me14 1hl

0845 0131632

This is a copy of an email I have just sent to the underwriters of swinton, as I can not find any email address for swinton themselves and we are sick of calling them, waste of space and money grabbers. I have changed the address's in the email above, but everything else is what we have a problem with Swinton Insurance with, I could go on with how bad they are because they would only take off the £50 cancellation fee (which I never cancelled to begin with) if I took out the new policy there and then and paid a deposit then they passed me through to there debt collection where my wife paid the remaining £18 for what I dont know! they are bullies. DO NOT INSURE WITH THEM.

If it helps anyone I sent my complaints so far by email to:
    underwritingcomplaints@equitygroup.co.uk
    because the underwriter on my swinton certificate is red star equity group and I also emailed the next stage up if you still remain unhappy to : complaints@Lloyds.com

• Ev
      3rd of Feb, 2011

I have had a nightmare with Swinton (Cardiff Office), not only did I find my car insurance £200 cheaper, but I was offered 150 cashback!!! After repeatingly telling them I was interested in bribes...I didn't want re-new with them. So what did they do??? renew it without my consent. I called to protest and was told that they couldn't do anything because their computer system was down and to ring back in the morning. (convienient) I rang back and was told simply 'return the policy'. They had already debited my account. When the policy turned up I also had onther 2 policy outlines with individuals personal details on!! I have rang the office because of my concerns and the office manager was on the telephone and was told he would return my call. I'm still waiting after 40 mins. Surely this is an urgent issue for them? I wonder who has my personal details??? So...Do I contact their head office or the peoples who's details I have gotten hold of??? Answers on a postcard here...

• As
      3rd of Feb, 2011

Hi,

I have Bike Insurance with them, see my comment just before yours, my Wife wrote an email of complaint to the underwriters who set out the charges with a stern complaint, and it was dealt with immediatltly
    you may not have the same underwriter as me underwritingcomplaints@equitygroup.co.uk
    but it will be on your car insurance certificate, and then google them to find there email address, its almost impossible to email swinton, well I coulod not find an email address for them so I went over there heads as speaking to swinton there are only interested in your money total idiots.

let me know how you get on, my wife cc in the email complaints@Lloyds.com, that is the next stage of complaint if your not happy with what the underwriters have to say, I do not mind if you want to use some of the email I have copied and pasted above to them, if your underwriter is the same as mine they are really friendly and helpful, I will post they reply on here if it helps you

• Sw
      28th of Feb, 2011

Swindle is what they should be called, i have just been taken for £47.11 9 months after i closed my policy from them. i had motor insurance with them for 6 months and after finding out that they had been taking £15 per month for home insurance and life insurance that i did not ask for or indeed want, and after the horrid and insulting customer service i received from them in response to my requests for my money back for insurance that i did not know i did not ask for, i decided to cancelled the policy, as i thought better just cut my losses and go somewhere else, i cancelled the police and paid the cancellation fee of £50. i have just learned from the snotty little nerk in the stretham office called roanne, that this is because i have underpaid on my policy and and still owe on the premiums even thought i cancelled it along time ago and as far as i was concerned had nothing to do with this bunch of con men and women, they have taken money out of my account without my permission and basically stole my money, i am furious to say the least and as i have got nowhere with the complete fool i was dealing with who just kept saying the say thing over and over again, that i owed the money from my premium, , , WHAT 9 months ago!!! i paid the money they ask for, and as far as im concerned every penny of it. i am the victim of a crime here, i in noway ever gave them permission to take any monies from my account, and i cant even prove that i dont owe them any money as i dont have any of the insurance policy details or any of the money paid or anything, , so im basically up the creek... this company is blatantly plying loop holes to steal money from your hard earned pocket, if you have a policy with them and decided to get smart and cancel it would be wise to change your bank details as well, , they will steal from you.

• Tq
      13th of Mar, 2011

Swinton are completely incompetant! I called up a few days ago to add someone to the policy and change my address, Charged £25 for the change of address, then got an excuse of "I can't add anyone to your policy as it takes a few days to update". My reply was "look luv i told you i needed to add someone to the policy at the start!" anyway she told me to call back saturday and i will be charged another £25!
    Stuff em seriously! I have only been with them since October and have sent an email saying i want to cancel, I dred to think how much they are going to try and sting me! NOONE SHOULD HAVE SWINTON IN THERE LIVES! corperate conartists!
    Oh and another thing, as soon as i gave them my new contact number- i recieved allot of marketing calls- Co-insidence? i doubt!
    i think i might go back to Zurich

• Te
      21st of Mar, 2011
    Swinton Car Insurance - Demanding money and refuse to answer basic queries
    Swinton Car Insurance

My parents are pensioners and were due to collect a new car. They rang Swinton and told them they needed to transfer their insurance and wanted a quote for the new car. Swinton, knowing the date they were due to collect the new car, said they’d ring them back. Three days later Swinton hadn’t rang them back. So I had to quickly get them insurance for their new car over the internet (which was probably a lot cheaper anyway).

We didn’t hear anything from Swinton until a month later when they wrote demanding a cancellation fee of 50 Pounds. They now refuse to even tell us on what date they cancelled the insurance. I suspect it would have run out by then anyway and this is just a way of obtaining £50 from us as they lost the business because they couldn’t be bothered returning a phone call.

I will be complaining to their head office, then FSA and possibly asking Age Concern to help, the customer service is non-existent, they are very aggressive in demanding money and refuse to answer basic queries. They certainly shouldn’t behave in this manner towards pensioners.

• Te
      21st of Mar, 2011
    Swinton Car Insurance - Demanding money and refuse to answer basic queries
    Swinton Car Insurance

• Da
      22nd of May, 2011

swinton insurance they lie cheat steal your money its not right they dont send your no claims when they should have, 12 phone calls later a phone call to the underrighters think i have paid too much to cancel just wanted to get rid of them.