[Resolved] Stylewe / rayon dress advertised as cotton blend - company assumes no responsibility

Guangdong, China, US

BUYER BEWARE!!!

Order #8B882208

I ordered 4 dresses. I received the items 2x later than the expected time frame (per their promises and expectations) and was only sent an email when the first package shipped out. I had to email the company two weeks later to find out the tracking numbers and status. The two dresses that had arrived the latest were, unfortunately, delivered later than when I needed them, so I chose to return them. In addition, one of those two dresses was advertised as a cotton blend, when it is in fact - per the tag and interior label - a 61% rayon, 31% polyamide, and 8% elastane blend. It is a very heavy and uncomfortable dress. When I pointed this out to customer service, this was their response:

"Thanks for your email. Upon checking with the designer: the Composition of item #121760 are correct. it's Cotton-blend.

Sorry that you are not satisfied with the item(s).

Our return center is located in Guangzhou, China. According to our return policy, customer is responsible for return shipping cost and any other related return charges (including possible custom fee). Your refund will be processed after our return center received and inspected the return package.

Since International return might result in long waiting time and incur substantial return cost on your side, we recommend some alternative methods to resolve this issue. We would like to offer you 15% cash refund or 20% store credit refund (store credit offer for USD order only ) instead of returning the item(s). If there are any sizing issues, you can use this fund to alter the cloth.

To learn more about our store credit policy, please visit

If you still want to return/exchange the package, you can email us for a return label.

You can check the return policy here : https://www.stylewe.com/information/returns-and-exchanges

Thanks for your patience! Please don't hesitate to email us if you have any questions.

Hope
StyleWe"

So I sent them a photo of the tag and interior label on the dress, and requested that - because of *their* false advertisement - they pay for the return shipping of that one dress. Here was their response:

"Thank you for your return / exchange request.

If you would like to keep the item(s) and skip the return hassle, we'd love to improve the compensation rate to be either 30% store credit, or 25% money refund.

To learn more about our store credit policy, please visit https://www.stylewe.com/information/store-credit-policy

Please let us know your decision, and we will act accordingly. Your choice of our options above constitutes your agreement to our Terms & Conditions, which MUST not be reneged on.

In addition, we welcome and appreciate all suggestions to improve our products and service.

Hope
StyleWe"

So it is okay for them to grossly misrepresent the items they are selling, to not follow through with notifications, and even misquote/miscalculate the shipping time, but there are no exceptions for the return shipping policy even if it the return is required as a result of their own error.

I feel it is unacceptable to offer $42.50 of $170.00 worth of merchandise which I cannot even use. Again, I told them I wanted to return the dresses for a refund, but requested that they pay for the shipping of that one dress that was completely misrepresented. Here was their response:

"Thank you for your return / exchange request.

For StyleWe return policy, please visit the following link:

The return shipping address is indicated in the return label attached at the bottom of this email. ( A PDF File )
Kindly reminder: Our return center is in China. To help you skip the return hassle, we offer below options to make return/exchange easy for you.

1.Return for exchange.
You are responsible for return shipping cost.
After you mail out the return package, please email us the SKU/URL, size, color of the replacement item(s), along with the original order number.

2.Return for store credit.
You will be responsible for return shipping cost.
Once the return is completed, you will receive 115% store credit to your StyleWe account.
FYI, only cash portion of the refund are eligible for 115% store credit. Store credit will be returned at 100% rate.

Please let us know your decision, and we will act accordingly.

Please read the following requirements before mailing out the merchandise:
- Items must be unused, undamaged and in original packaging with all the original labels, ensure that all articles in the package are intact ! If not, the buyer is responsible for all incurred fees and no refund will be issued.
- Please download the attached label with our shipping address and return barcode (This is NOT a prepaid shipping label), and place on the package along with the proper postage. Our return center CANNOT process your return order properly without this label
-Please send the item(s) back to us through a local post office instead of express services, like DHL, UPS, TNT, FEDEX, etc. By choosing express delivery options you might incur import taxes and the delivery might be delayed due to the customs clearance process. We can only process refund and exchange once we received your returned item(s) in our China Return Center.
- Please input return shipping details ( tracking No.& delivery company ) on order page through PC after returning the package to insure speedy process.(Log in our website and click "You-My Request-View" to input the return shipping details).

In addition, we welcome and appreciate all suggestions; and will relay your messages to our designers. Your feedback is very important to StyleWe and our designers to improve our products and service.

Alice
StyleWe"

I then addressed the issue of the dress that was being returned because of false advertisement on their end, and Alice quickly reaponded explaining to me that they do not offer prepaid labels. I will say, with all due respect, she was kind and honest about it. I then asked if I could speak to a supervisor or someone at a higher level to see if something could be done, and I received this response:

" Good day!

We indicated that the material is rayon on the item page, see below:

image (see first photo, and then next photo where it is listed as a cotton blend. Also notice how the last photo I have posted on the board shows the new listing: "Rayon Simple Stripes Dress")

Please don't hesitate to email us if you have any questions.

Medicine
StyleWe"

So this is the way this company handles their affairs. I have documented everything so that nobody from Stylewe can reply saying that they "tried to help me" in this particular thread and I didn't respond. I don't recommend doing business with them. It seems like they try to take advantage of the favorable exchange rate, and use the international barrier as an excuse to keep your money while conducting business in a dishonest way.

They ultimately offered that I keep the dress for a 100% store credit, but I wanted nothing else to do with them after this deceitful merry go round ride. I do not want a store credit that I will never use.

I went to paypal, they ultimately sided with the merchant saying that if I hadn't returned the dress, I could not get a refund, and then I went to my credit card - Capital One. Neither of them protected the consumer over the merchant, but my credit card company absorbed the expense because of the absurdity of the case. I appreciate that.

Just a note, PayPal reimburses up to $30 for return shipping fees. I returned the other dress back to China for $37.70 - the package went missing in transit between Beijing and Shenzhen. Go figure!

• Resolution statement

• Updated by Gloria Bell, Nov 25, 2017

Here is a screenshot of the initial listing:

rayon dress advertised as cotton blend - company assumes no responsibility
  • StyleWe Customer Care's Response, Jan 08, 2019

Pls noted that we do not deal with any return shipping .

If the package was missing, you should contact shipping carrier not us since we are not the one ship the package .

If you run into any issues, feel free to drop us an email and we will get back to you ASAP.
    Best regards,