Stream Energy / unauthorized billing

Since June of 2008 I have paid over $2000.00 in eletric bills. I shut off my air conditioner in September so I would have some money for Christmas. My bill in October was ok until they double it. The second amount, which was equal to original bill, was listed as energy rate correction. I called the company and was told that in July they only charged me 14% and should have charged me 19%. And I should be grateful, as I saved nearly $50 in taxes. I keep asking why I was not billed for the 19% in July and was not given any reason but was told over and over again that I need to pay for what I consumed. When I asked for a corrected detailed bill showing why I owed the additional amount I was refused. At one point she stated that they could charge me 19% every month, which I took as a threat.

I have reported this to the BBB but will have to pay the entire bill or lose my credit rating. I have switched to another company and am hoping that this is not a practice used by all.

Va

Comments

• Sh
      13th of Feb, 2009

I would try Ambit Energy.
    They are a discount energy provider.
    They're rates are always lower than Streams. They also have a program where you can get free energy. You can also quote your savings online.
    www.yoda.joinambit.com

• Te
      16th of Apr, 2009

I had Ambit Energy before but Stream Energy is little cheaper! I am happy about my Stream Energy billing. Some people talked negative because they did not pay on time or behind! So, I turn my lights off in 2300 sq ft house when I was gone. I paid average 106.00 every month. I leave 72 degree in my house all of the time so it is 106.00. I am shocked becuase I save a lot money than Ambit Energy and TXU. But, I like Ambit. Many are just competitors!

• Gu
      12th of May, 2011

I too have turned down appliances and every light bulb is energy type averaging 11 watts per bulb and continue to get high prices even though electricity consumption is down. I have the records to prove it as well.

When I first took service with them they were charging me more then the agreed price because their excuse was that I had established a usage amount and I was under 800 kw's. Then after several months that I complained that brought the rate down, and my contract will be expiring soon and I won't be going with them any longer. I live in a brand new mobile that is approximately 1200 living space and my bill is over 116.00 more then the much larger home I used live in.