Starving Students Inc / Starving Students - Los Angeles, CA

1 1850 Sawtelle Blvd #300Los Angeles, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 310-572-6222

Company sold me an insurance policy offering blanket coverage for the move. The coverage was to cover actual cash value of the items.
Items were damaged in the move and the first insurance claim was flatly denied (standard practice in many insurance claims).

Second attempt to file a claim and the company started changing their definition of actual cash value as well as pointed out part of the coverage that was not explained to me when the policy was sold to me. (if i packed it and it gets broken, it's not covered).

Company has taken over six months to offer a low settlement.
Customer support and returned phone calls is non-existent.

The sales person estimated a move time based on my accurate description of the number of rooms, contents and items that was less than half of the actual time it took to move. Total cost of the move was 150% more than the original estimate.

Movers wasted time packing items in a manner that was unnecessary, costly and added an incredible amount of time to unpack. (the use of half a roll of packing tape to wrap a furniture pad around a chair - thus it takes 15 minutes to unwrap the chair).

stay away from this company

Ch

Comments

18th of Sep, 2008

Starving Students does 50, 000 moves per year and merely 2% of our moves regrettably result in a claim. We are recommended by the California Moving and Storage Association, and have more than 35 years of experience in this industry. We are disappointed that you were not satisfied. Please contact our corporate office if you would like to pursue your complaint further and we would be happy to address your concerns.

• Ba
      5th of Jan, 2010

Starving Student, LLC (Alexandria, VA/) Is Absolutely the WORST Moving Experience of My Life...and we are not the only one's who think so..

Starving Students Has an "F" Rating with the Better Business Bureau in the following areas:

Quoted from the Better Business Bureau of Washington DC and Eastern PA web site on (1/05/2010)

BBB Reliability Report for
    Starving Students Moving Company

This is not a BBB accredited business.

BBB Rating F

Source: http://dc-easternpa.bbb.org/codbrep.html?wlcl=y&id=17580

BBB RAting F Here too:

BBB Rating F Here too:

From yet another BBB web site on 1/5/2010 regarding Starving Students Movers I quote:

Complaint Closing StatisticsThe following grid displays the number and responses to complaints over the last 36 months:

No. of Cmpl Type of Response

Source: http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/Starving-Students-Inc-30182

Here's a link to YouTube video of an Investigative Report on Starving Students:

Barry

Alexandria, VA

PS I am not now and I have never been an employee of Starving Students. My only experience with Starving Students, Alexandria VA has been the following:

Part 1: Extortion and Intimidation by Starving Students, Inc.

Upon arrival, my girlfriend greeted the drivers to immediately be "informed" that they typically get a "$100.00 per person" tip.

Part 2: Rude Inexcuseable Behavior and Mud Soiled Hallways and Carpets.

To my girlfriend's horror, the "professional movers" showed no respect for our home. They walked through mud and proceed to soil our freshly cleaned carpets.

Part 3: Expecting the worst and getting it.

When I arrived to bring tools to the "Professional Movers, " here is what I discovered:

1. An extremely beat-up Starving Students, Inc., "Professional Moving Truck." The truck had both fiberglass fenders smashed beyond recognition and bandaged together with duct tape.

2. Our expensive diningroom chairs were stacked on top of each other (without any of the promised padding and blankets) like firewood.

3. Three completely unprofessional people were milling about the house and yard aimlessly.

4. One person was attempting to take apart a metal bed with his bare fingers.

5. One person was slamming a piece of the bed into the wood paneled wall and ceiling.

6. One person was arguing with me telling me that it was not his responsibility to bring a screwdriver to the job.

Part 4: Wating and Waiting.

1. When they left to go to the other house I was left to guard the item they left piled in our yard.

2. After over an hour, I began personally moving everything else out of the house.

3. After another 30 minutes I loaded ALL of the items in the yard into my personal pick-up truck and drove to the new home.

Part 5: It Goes from bad to much worse:

1. I pull up just in tme to see the "professional movers" NOT! slam our china cabinet into the doorjambs of the front door not once but 3 times!

2. My girlfriend is livid because the "professional movers" NOT! were again tracking wet mud throughout both floors of our newly carpeted home.

To be continued...come back for photos of the damage that Starving Students did to almost every piece of furniture that they touched.