Sports Authority / failure to honor offer

Towson, MD, United States Review updated:
3.35
On 12/13, I went to check out a 60 dollar purchase with a coupon Sports Authority had mailed to me for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more. The coupon listed several exclusions, but not for anything I was buying. When I got to the register, there was a sign saying that as of 12/12, coupons could no longer be used for purchases of Under Armor, so since the UA sweatshirt was $45, my coupon did not work. The cashier was nice but firm, as was the manager I spoke to. I pointed out that the coupon listed several exclusions but did NOT list Under Armor, but they refused to honor their offer - 'company policy.'

I told them I had been looking forward to making this purchase, and had received great customer service in the store today, but when they refused to honor their offer, I left the items at the register and left the store.

I have four kids who are or will be playing sports, and Sports Authority is convenient to our house. But I will be making sure to go out of my way to patronize Dick's Sporting Goods and Model's, in hopes of finding a reputable, trustworthy company.

Comments

Bw
  14th of Jan, 2009
I'm confused about this one, so the item was only $45, and you expected them to honor a coupon for $10 off $50? That is the most ridiculous complaint i have ever heard. Were you expecting the tax to count?
Mi
  17th of Apr, 2009
She states that she was purchasing several items, INCLUDING a UA sirt that was priced at $45 so the total before tax would have been more than $50. What she had an issue with was a sign that was posted that indicated that UA products had been added to the exlusion list just the day before she went in. She apparently felt that because UA wasn't listed on the coupon as an exclusion, she should have been able to use it on her purchase.

As far as I know, certain UA products have been excluded from coupon eligibility since at least 2006. That is a vendor directive from UA and Sports Authority has to follow that.
In
  5th of May, 2009
You've obviously never worked in retail before...
It's not Sports Authority's fault that item is excluded, it is the fault of the manufacturer.
They don't allow Sports Authority to discount certain items.

Stop ### about 10$ there's plenty of other things you could have bought to avoid that.
Oh
  8th of Jun, 2009
If you read the coupon it says ask associates for details. like the person above said it is the manufactures fault and if u look around sports authority stores u'll see UA is hardly ever on sale that can also be annoying. the cashiers do not have the power to change anything but when ur in a situation like that u can always make the purchase and contact the store or district manager and they will definitely take care of you
Vm
  7th of Aug, 2009
I agree with the two people above me...i just quit sports authority about a week ago and it's true, it is NOTTT sports authoiritys fault..it si THE MANUFACTURAR's fault. if Under Armour tells us that we are not to honor cupons on their products..well then sports authotity CAN NOT EVEN PUT IT THOUGH AT CHECK OUT. THE COMPUTERS ARE INCAPABLE OF ACCEPTING THAT CUPON IF UNDER ARMOR APPEARS ON THE SCREEN. i can not even tell you how many customers compained about it..and i thought to myself...you have not worked in retail before or didnt even look at your cupoun, it spacificly says ask associate for details..and did you? no. its not sports authoritys fault...you just made a fool out of yourself LEAVING THE STUFF AT THE REGISTER. you didnt even have the decency to put it back on the rack. nice.
Sa
  6th of Nov, 2010
90 percent of customer "complaints" would go away if the customer just took the time to actually read the coupon, or sign. They are never wrong, everything is misleading, and would never to think about apologizing for behavior that if it happened to me on the street would get them flattened.
Li
  19th of Feb, 2011
I have to inform you, UA has always been on the list. TSA just honored those coupons until the corporate office said ENOUGH and they no longer are allowed to honor them on Under Armor because that company refuses to reimburse the company for the price reduction of the coupon. Sorry, but your beef is with UA not Sports Authority.