[Resolved] Spokeo.com / billing nightmare

Pasadena, CA, United States Review updated:

Do not give your credit card number to Spokeo. They will bill it, bill it again, and keep billing it till you cancel your credit card. Your credit card company will take seriously Spokeo's contention that they have the right to keep billing you because they provide a "service." Think about it. It's tantamount to saying they have the right to steal because they want to.

• Resolution statement

• Spokeo Customer Care's Response, Nov 15, 2013

Dear Poster,
    We are very sorry that you have been inconvenienced and are aware of the potential dangers at stake when processing online credit and debit transactions.
    Spokeo is a people search engine that allows you to search for people by name, phone number, address, email or username to get more public information on that person.
    At Spokeo, we make sure that unauthorized payment submissions are minimized by employing a multi-step payment process. To prevent unauthorized subscribers, customers are required to enter their personal email address (which serves as the customer's login) and select the appropriate subscription package (3-month, 6-month, and 12-month). Lastly, the customer is asked to enter their credit information, including the 3-digit CVS code (only the cardholder has this information) and check a box indicating that they are aware of our terms, subscription costs and plan specifications. As we do require the CVS code, unauthorized charges generally can only be possible if the card has been physically stolen.
    Please contact our support team at [protected]@spokeo.com with mention of this complaint, and our representatives will be happy to resolve any issues you may have.

• Spokeo Customer Care's Response, Feb 02, 2016

Dear InstantKarma,
    We understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this issue. We are more than happy to comply with our customer's wishes to cancel, or opt out of Spokeo at anytime. Please allow me to explain, in order for a Spokeo subscription to be created, a user must navigate to our website at www.spokeo.com and either click on the "Sign Up" button or perform a search and click on the "Get Full Results" button. The user would then be required to enter in a full 16 digit credit or debit card number along with the card's matching security code, cardholder name, card expiration date, card billing zip code, and enter a valid email address that becomes the username associated with the account. Once this information has been entered, the Terms of Use agreement must be checked and agreed to and then the "Purchase" button must be hit. Once these actions are completed and the information is verified as valid and matching, the user must then fill out a brief survey and set an account password to begin using the subscription. A purchase confirmation receipt is also sent to the account's email address. Please contact a member of our customer care team at your earliest convenience by calling 888-906-0850 so we can assist you should you have any further subscription related questions.

• Spokeo Customer Care's Response, Jun 27, 2016

Dear K Alemany,

We are sorry to hear about this. It sounds like there is an active subscription on your account. Please contact our Customer Care Team so that we may assist you further with this at 1-888-906-0850 or email [protected]@spokeo.com.

Spokeo

Comments

• Jp
      Apr 06, 2010

I only discovered spokeo when a friend told about 7 of us about it last Saturday. They are outrageous in their postings of address locations, photos, credit information, religious affiliation, etc.
    Is it possible to take them to court in a class action suit?

Nov 05, 2013

they started charging me 19.95$ every month. This was the first time I heard of SPOKEO. I never visited their site before this. They are stealing card information from third party. I have credit card statement with their phone number to validate my claim.

• In
      Jan 31, 2016

Spokeo did the same thing to me. I never contacted them. They had numerous charges within the same month from several email addresses. I intend to pursue this under federal and state law, in a court of competent jurisdiction, whether that be civil or whatever., They need to be stopped. They are harming people. Would love to subpoena their books. I would consider bringing a class action suit IF warranted.

• Ka
      Jun 02, 2016

Totally Agree with complaint!!! Same thing happened to me, charging my debit card over & over again. The response from Spokeo is bogus! I have received a new card w/ different 3 digit CVS code & was recently charged again.