Spokeo Online Servicedeceptive advertising and ripoff

B Review updated:

A newish service out there that takes your email address and shoots it
to anyone who is in your contact list with messages — no matter how old
those contacts are!
As I havent had my own computer since fall since the little lappie
gave out
I have been using someone else's unit

First off this spokeo thing grabs your contact list which I have
connected to my email and notifies everyone on it — right down the
line!
I have years old contacts I never have used and dont want notified
they are on any LIST — for #'s sake!

But even worse is the company policy
They advertise with a BIG BALLOON she said with their cost per month
and a small asterick
You click it thinking it is a one month charge with free trial and they screw you for a year
They are on the [redacted] but not much her credit card will do

Avoid this slimey outfit

SPOOKIO they are!

RESOLVED

• Spokeo's response · Jul 03, 2019

Hi Robert!

We're sorry to hear that we did not provide you with the most up to date or accurate information. Since we don't originate or create data, our data reflects that of its original source(s). Due to this, we cannot guarantee data accuracy, our data should only be used as a reference. However, we are constantly working to expand and improve the data available on our site. If you need additional assistance, please contact our Customer Care team via email at [email protected], or via phone at [protected]. Our team members are available 7 days a week, from 5am to 8pm (PST).

• Spokeo's response · Aug 17, 2018

Dear Brenda,

Thank you for your comment on the ComplaintsBoard.com website. We're sorry to hear about this. It sounds like there is an active subscription on your account. We want to be sure you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team at [email protected] or by calling [protected] and explain your concerns. Thanks!

Best,

Customer Care

• Spokeo's response · Mar 17, 2015

Hello BC,
    We're sorry to hear about this and would like to rectify the situation. Please contact our Customer Care team at [protected] or email [email protected] so we can better assist you. We are available from 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM PST.

• Spokeo's response · Mar 09, 2015

Hello,
    We're sorry to hear about this and would like the opportunity to make it right. Please contact our Customer Care team at [protected] or email [email protected] so we can better assist you.
    All the best!

• Spokeo's response · Nov 15, 2013

Dear Spokeo User,
    I'm sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Spokeo showcases the power of information aggregation, as the data is gathered from a multitude of different sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. We also organize the information so that it makes sense for you, as a user. However, machine aggregation has its limits. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.
    Please contact our support team at [email protected] with mention of this complaint, and our representatives will be happy to resolve any issues you may have.
    Sincerely,

• Spokeo's response · Jun 21, 2012

Dear Steven,

We would be more than happy to assist you through the refund process, you can simply contact us through our contact page. I have also privately messaged you with further details.

Sincerely,

• Be
    Bernice pearson Jan 11, 2020

I started a 7 day free trial n thought it was cancelled n they still charged me for January I need my money back they charged me for the 7 days n then again on Jan 3 this is not fair since I never used it but once during the 7 days

Spokeo Jan 17, 2020

@Bernice pearson Dear Bernice Pearson:

I received your comment to the ComplaintsBoard page for Spokeo on January 11, 2020 regarding our service and charges made on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain the charges associated with your account. Since all Spokeo subscriptions automatically renew to prevent service interruption, trials that were left unchanged, were charged on the service's renewal date until disabled.

I apologize for any inconvenience, or hardship this matter may have caused. Please contact our Customer Care team through our contact page, http://www.spokeo.com/contact where we are available by phone, email, and chat 7 days a week from 5AM to 8PM PST so we can assist you further with this matter.

• Ci
    ciera woodard Nov 18, 2019

So i woke up to a charge of 24.95 & I HAVE NEVER USED THIS CRAP! Called them, they found some account. Long story short, all they refunded me was 9$. FOR ALMOST 25$. Dont make any sense. Im mad. That was the rest of my money.

Spokeo Nov 25, 2019

@ciera woodard Dear Ciera Woodard,

I received your comment to the ComplaintsBoard.com page for Spokeo on November 18, 2019 regarding our service and charges made on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

Please allow me to explain the charges associated with all subscriptions. All Spokeo subscriptions automatically renew to prevent service interruption, trials that were left unchanged, were charged on the service's renewal date.

To discuss further about these charges and any other questions, please contact our Customer Care team through our contact page, http://www.spokeo.com/contact where we are available by phone, email, and chat 7 days a week from 5AM to 8PM PST so we can assist you further with this matter.

• Wi
    Wilwil Ng Nov 09, 2019

I have Fraudulent charges on my credit card since 3 August 2018 till 3 October 2019 of USD18.90 charged by www.spokeo.com every month on my credit card. I only discovered it in October 2019.

I have written to spokeo but they went missing after 1 email.

I have also called my bank to raise dispute against them.

Spokeo Nov 11, 2019

@Wilwil Ng Dear Requester,

I received your comment to the ComplaintsBoard.com page for Spokeo on November 9, 2019 regarding our service and charges made on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

• Ka
    Kayla Isam Oct 15, 2019

I paid $.99 cents for a background report and did not realize I was entered into a subscription until I was billed $25 yesterday!!! I would like my money back but have not received a response from customer service. I didn't even use the background report or receive the info I was expecting to receive! Hopefully they can make this right!!!

Spokeo Oct 23, 2019

@Kayla Isam Dear Kayla:

I received your comment to the ComplaintsBoard.com page for Spokeo on October 15, 2019 regarding our service and charges made on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

I apologize for any inconvenience, or hardship this matter may have caused. You are more than welcome to contact our Customer Care team through our contact page, http://www.spokeo.com/contact where we are available by phone, email, and chat 7 days a week from 5AM to 8PM PST. Please feel free to contact us directly should you have any future questions or concerns regarding this matter.

• Ro
    Robert A Smith Jul 02, 2019

I got this screwed up company in a pop up as with most unwanted things. I entered in one number and it couldn't even give me a positive match now they want to charge me for services they can't even provide. It's a RIP off stay completely away from this company I'm going to go post all over social media if I can't get answers

• Na
    najr Nov 04, 2018

This co. Offered a one time chg. To find my mother in law's new address, in the amt. Of $4.95 . Using my direct express soc. Sec act. Approx. 1 year ago I called to consult a few months later charges showed up again my computer was down so had no way of knowing I'm requesting a refund

• De
    Deirdre Murphy Oct 15, 2018

For the last 3 months I've noticed you have been taking a unauthorized direct debits from my current account I want a full refund or I will be going further about this I've have no idea what these charges are for and have never subscribed to this website and I want it stopped immediately

Spokeo Oct 24, 2018

@Deirdre Murphy Dear Dierdre,

Thank you for your comments for Spokeo's services on the ComplaintsBoard.com site.

Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by performing a name, reverse email, reverse phone, or reverse address search. Searches can also be performed to obtain court records, historical records, or business information. Our database covers social networks, public records, marketing lists, and other sources to reveal demographic details, public profiles, and more. Our memberships provide exclusive content to subscribers, which is activated immediately after payment is processed. Payments for Spokeo services will appear on your billing statement as SPK*SPOKEO.

We're sorry to hear about this. It sounds like there is an active subscription on your account. We want to be sure you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team through our contact page, http://www.spokeo.com/contact, where we are available by phone, email, and chat 7 days a week from 5AM to 8PM PST. Thanks!

- Spokeo Customer Care

• Mo
    Monicaromani Oct 02, 2018

Monica Romani account
    [email protected]
    Hi I've been trying to cancel for 3 months !! The charge in my credit card is for 19 dollars supposed to be 9 !!!
    But after trying to cancel several times you still charging my card

Spokeo Oct 04, 2018

@Monicaromani Hi Monica!

Thank you for your comment on the ComplaintsBoard.com site. We're sorry to hear about this. It sounds like there is an active subscription on your account. We want to be sure you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team directly by calling [protected] and explain your concerns. We are available everyday from 5AM to 8PM PST. Thanks!

• 2s
    2sides2everystory Aug 17, 2018

This company is really coming up with words to try and save itself. They would outsource the commenters and social media monitoring no doubt but to say the statement (below) is just laughable:

Resolution statement

- There are many Similar stories from many different people
    - the approach by this company is underhanded
    - the response is meerly a cut and paste and generic reply.
    - people reply when pissed, theyve wasted enough time. If they have gotten out, made comment, why would they want to keep engaging with this company. A leopard doesnt change its spots to begin with, why did SPOKEO have to lower itself to this level in the first place. any replies are just token face saving gestures.
    - MUST NOT .. lol. Thats kind of like a directive to everyone else when the complaints, not just on this site clearly deminish the company to the level as the revues have highlighted.

Absolutely, do not - do not deal with this company.

• Br
    Brenda VanNortrick Aug 14, 2018

My debit card is being charged for several unknown purchases I did not authorize and I want my money back.

• Ki
    Kimmy Pay Dec 06, 2015

I want to cancel and get refunded

• Bc
    BCnmoney Mar 11, 2015

Company offers reverse phone lookup for provided request. Charged 95 cents, yet did not provide requested information and then charged for a monthly fee for a continuing service despite cancelation requests.
    BC

• Sn
    Snehita dey Mar 08, 2015

I opted for spokeo free trial. Mistakenly i did a wrong transaction. They deducted money from my accnt. I want my money back as i m nt using it. Their contct no r also unreachable.

• Do
    Donald Wallace Aug 21, 2014

Billing for "people searching" was done twice, $14.95 on 8/12/14 and $19.95 on 8/20/14 without explanation. The only return e-mail was form letters which didn't explain anything. I want answers...Don Wallace

• Gl
    Glodene Jul 04, 2014

Has been taking money from me since October, 2013 without prior, proper authorization.

• So
    So Ruth! Nov 09, 2013

Spokeo is a complete fraud. I have been receiving someone else's email and when I tried to track them down vis Spokeo I was informed the information was available, but that I needed to subscribe to retrieve the data. I had used the service once in the past - and cancelled it because it was as useless then as it was now - but logged in with my old account info since my I'm still active until the subscription expires. Same results - zarro - ### service that ought to be ashamed of itself. Buyer beware. What really makes me laugh is that Spokeo is advertising on this website, though I suspect it's via re-targeted ad serving. So not only is their service a sham, their marketing tactics are equally as lame.

• Pi
    Pierstere Jun 21, 2012

Joined, run searches on well-known to me people - to check if data are correct. got bogus results for 9 out of 10 people. canceled. how can I get my money back?

• Au
    aurora1 Jun 17, 2012

After you initially find the person you are looking for, you are directed to "join" for more detailed information. I am usually very good at checking out complaints about sites before committing any money, but this was a heart-string think - I was attempting to find my son who disappearance 10 years ago.

Needless to say, the name came up with a city I knew he HAD lived in, but when I "joined" for more information - you guessed it - there was not one more piece of information. Under family - it list he had a mother and father - DUH!?

I entered my other son's PREVIOUS city of residence, and up came all of his information, very accurate - as if he still lived there. Unfortunately, he now lives 2000 miles away - but you would never know it from his profile.

I then entered my deceased husband's name (he passed away 10 years ago) and got all the pertinent information as if he was alive and well living very well in an expensive home. Must be nice, I had to really downsize when he died. Guess their information isn't quite up-to-date.

At least I already know where that son is living so it isn't a big deal to me - but certainly won't help anyone else who might be looking for him (maybe a good thing).

At least I only took the 3-mo. $14.95 plan - so I could have lost more. Thanks to the gentleman on a complaint site instructing how to REMOVE yourself or anyone else from the records. I guess it helps a lot to look for someone who has taken their own profile off the list. I took all SEVEN of mine off.

I found much more information about my son from the WHITE PAGES than I did from Spokeo. Really a rip-off. Like I said, more of an emotional impulse than well thought out decision. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON SPOKEO. I learned another lesson in cybelife - think with your head - check out sites wanting $$$ - look for complains - BEFORE to commit to ANYTHING. As we most sites, the print you NEED is REALLY small.

One more complain to the iist. Thanks for reading; I hope it helps at least one person.

• Sj
    SJK2011 Jul 28, 2011

Great post, thanks for sharing.
    Although Spokeo claims their mission is to "help people find and connect with others" it seems like their goal is to allow you to peek into the private lives of others- which can only be done by paying them for the info. Even more interesting is the original home page of Spokeo.com, which clearly displays the twisted ulterior motives behind the site:

stalkersneedtogonow! Jul 27, 2011

Entity Name: SPOKEO, INC.
    Entity Number: C2789488
    Agent Address: 818 W SEVENTH ST
    Agent City, State, Zip: LOS ANGELES CA 90017
    See how they like it!

stalkersneedtogonow! Jul 27, 2011

Oh and they are located in Passadena California, you can look up too see if they have a business license by going to the Business license search of the California State by going here http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/ and look up their business license, the file your complaints with all authorities, if they choose too ignore it then they just contradicted all their laws claiming too protect you.
    its a shame we are all ranked in as criminals because of other psychotic people and their issues, no wonder this world is so messed up. Abuse of power at its finest, this is sooo WRONG!

stalkersneedtogonow! Jul 27, 2011

identity theft is a common crime with websites like this
    report them to ic3.gov, send ALL info they use on u, most people use a P.I. to collect info on someone if they need court procedures, this company along with others, throws what ever info is out there putting your life at risk!

• Do
    doreen mc Jun 23, 2011

I'M REALLY UPSET WITH SPOKEO. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET YOUR INFORMATION OFF THEIR DATA BASE. THEY ARE NOW PUTTING UP PICTURES AND VEHICLES WITH DRIVER'S LISCENSE'S AS WELL. THIS IS NOT RIGHT. WHO CAN PUT ME IN THE PROPER DIRECTION TO STOP THIS WITH THEM. DON'T THEY HAVE A PHONE NUMBER?
    WHAT IF SOMEONE IS A VICTIM OF ABUSE/WHAT ABOUT PROTECTING OUR CHILDREN AND THEIR INFORMATION/WHAT GIVES THEM THE RIGHT TO PUT ALL OUR STUFF OUT THEIR.

• Ba
    Barab Dec 25, 2010

I visited the Speakeo.com website, and at the time saw I could subscribe monthly for $4.95 a month. So I did and then 2 weeks later saw they charged my credit card for $59.40, a full year.

I complainted to them it was deceptive advertising and requested a refund. They replied "no refunds", that's our policy. They ripped me off! I strongly recommend no consumers use their service based on how they operate as a company.

• To
    tonkass Oct 30, 2010

spokeo.com i am surprised should have a lot more consumer issues or complaints by unhappy users. I am of course unhappy member of spokeo.com website and want my money refunded. I made request for a refund on my spokeo.com account very soon after joining. Another person posted the email address [email protected] as this company is VERY VERY DECEPTIVE in that its hard to get information on REFUND PROCEDURE. My complaint lodge against this company is that they use DECEPTIVE CONDUCT into thinking their service is as good as it sounds. The service is no better than http://www.pipl.com for instance which is free. I felt really ripped off. The telephone search is in America, i have to grant access using my user name and password for a friends search (for that part) which i am uncomfortable about giving. The biggest issue is i paid for a 3 month membership and there IS A LIMITATION on the number of searches that can be performed on the premium spokeo.com account. THIS IS A SCAM. They do not ANYWHERE DISCLOSE anything about having a limitation on the number of searches you can do and 20 email address searches in a 3 month period is a JOKE. This service is downright deceptive especially my last point. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY if they will have deceptive practices like that.

• Ti
    timothy.mcneil60 May 12, 2010

Their subscription is done in a one-time payment, not monthly. Personally, I prefer this method, as I don't like surprises withdrawn from my bank accounts every month. They offer a minimum of a three-month bundle, which is a good deal still considering you can look up a greater number of accounts over this period. They offer multiple disclaimers, like many websites do, regarding their price. The problem is that people don't really read disclaimers before they click, and immediately get angry because they are being charged for something they have already agreed to. I suggest that people be more careful about how they choose to spend their money online. Moreover, it makes sense that they don't issue refunds immediately since they are providing a service, not a good - once you've gotten your paid information, does it seem right to demand your money back? A buddy of mine signed up in error and reported it to their customer service, and they referred him to their Dispute Resolution Team who checked his account and resolved the issue by issuing a refund. So, they do take your inquiries seriously, and in my experience, they are doing what a legitimate business providing a service would. TM.

• Cl
    clrgamer78 May 05, 2010

I have been investigating spokeo for about two weeks.First off, they are full of ###. they say they get their info from public data bases, but whatever.Myspace is the only site i ever had my picture on, so i know for a fact that they got it from them. so what im saying is, what the ### did i even check the privacy box for? and just for the record, sharing your personal info with certain websites does not give spokeo or any other right to sell my personal data without my permission. im not a criminal, so my life is my private matter, and spokeo offers money for my information? whats next? craigs list selling my identity?

maxien78 May 03, 2010

I am going to be contacting all of the websites that i ave signed up to asking them why they have shared my information with other comanies. Whenever i sign up to a page i always ALWAYS tick ot untick the box that says i DO NOT want my information shared with 3rd party companies, the same goes for any forms i fill in.

Once i have contacted them all and got their reason in writing i will be contacting my solicitor, i am taking these people to court, they have broken soooooo many laws by putting my information on this page, any good solicitor will be happy to take this up for free. I will let you now how i get on!

John Keene Apr 11, 2010

Spokeo is a complete scam. If they have no information on an email address, they will fraudulently use your own geo-ip location to lie and say that the person you're requesting information on is in your city. Then they will sell you a "full report" with NO INFORMATION... since they did not have any to begin with. I have reported them to the FBI's Cyber / Internet Crimes division. I recommend you ALL do the same. http://www.fbi.gov

• Ha
    Harrison Tang Is A Criminal Apr 11, 2010

If you've got a credit fraud claim against them, or if they're posting pics of your kids, or if you're being harassed or stalked or blackmailed by people viewing your results, call the local police in Pasadena, where Spokeo Inc. is based: http://ww2.cityofpasadena.net/police/contactUs.asp (You might note that the chief of police's home phone number and address are available on Spokeo. As are his wife's or daughter's. And the mayor's.)

You should also report any internet harassment to the local office of the FBI: http://www.fbi.gov/contact/fo/fo.htm

Even if you're not being harassed, stalked, blackmailed, or bullied (yet), you can still file a complaint with the California Office of Privacy Protection: http://www.privacy.ca.gov/contact_us.htm

And with the FTC: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

And, if you've got photos showing up on the site, e-mail [email protected] to complain about the copyright infringement. (dyndns.com is the ISP, so they should want to investigate claims that somebody using their network is infringing your copyrights.)

Also contact Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=privacy_settings_feedback to let them know that Spokeo has been harvesting personal data from Facebook, in blatant violation of Facebook's policies.

You can also click the little "Block / Report Person" link on the CEO's own personal facebook page, and ask facebook to ban him from the site for selling your info on the internet for profit. That's over here: http://www.facebook.com/man4prez

You can do the same thing on Friendster, at http://profiles.friendster.com/thedoodinthedood, by scrolling all the way down to the bottom of the page and clicking the "Report" link (which has an option to report people for using your photos or harassing you).

And you can click the "Report Abuse" link at the bottom of his myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/139118283

• Je
    jennifercoble Apr 07, 2010

They compile this information in one place and although I have my facebook and myspace accounts set as private they still have pictures of my children on here!! I also don't advertise the number of people in my house or our income or home value. This information is able to be found by people who are motivated by looking in multiple places on the internet however this is a site where everything is in one place and people could use it for malicious purposes. They will remove requests supposedly for names to be deleted but not email addresses. Most people can't look up my email and get my address and phone number.

• Ou
    OutJedi Apr 07, 2010

Spokeo is sweet! I just found a bunch of stuff on my ex, and my old boss.

I don't really care if people want to know my credit score. It's 719.

• Jl
    jlprcb Apr 05, 2010

Shouldn't we get the money for letting them access our information? Where does this Spokeo get off receiving money to give out our information, then trying to get money from us to delete our information. Of course how many other websites, that we aren't aware of, have our infomation. This is an infringement on our rights. I think a class action lawsuite needs to be brought to Spokeo as well as any other site that gives out any type of personal information without our full consent or without us being able to block certain information with security measures.

• Happy 88 - thats not true. I don't put my credit score up, I don't put how many people in my house, nor did I put ANY FINANCIAL information, and I DEFINITELY don't put my SSN UP ON THE NET!

********READ THE FINE PRINT! IF YOU ATTEMPT TO DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT WITH THEM, IT ONLY DELETES YOUR PUBLIC PROFILE, ALL YOU INFO IS STILL AVAILABLE TO A PAID SUBSCRIBER!*********

• Mh
    MHFP Apr 04, 2010

Happy88. You are WRONG. I have not posted my address anywhere on the web. This info is available from government sites. Here is a clip from the Privacy information of one of these search sites:
    "Public records are available from the official public records custodian or repository to anyone who requests them. In order for any database of public records to be useful, the databases must contain all of the information in the public records offices. If you have a compelling privacy or security issue, you may wish to contact the official custodians of those public records that contain sensitive information about you, such as your county's land records office, to determine how to remove your information from the public record. (The process of having public records sealed typically requires a court order.) This process will ensure that the information is not available to the public, to us, or to any other public records information provider.
    In addition to public records, personal information may be publicly or commercially available. Publicly available information consists of online and offline information that is generally available but is not maintained by a government agency, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers of individuals and businesses, professional licensing and trade organization information, press releases and newspaper articles and content from blogs or social networking sites. Commercial records consist of information that is maintained by enterprises and is available for purchase, such as marketing and telemarketing lists, phone connect and disconnect information, and business profile data."

As you can see, it is not easy to have this information removed from the Government sites. The problem I have with Spokeo is how easy they make it to access a person's address and personal data without having to pay any fee or go through multiple steps to obtain this privileged information. As noted, they give you the address and link directly to a Google picture of the house. One can obtain this knowledge without identifying themselves.

Of course, if someone if motivated enough, they can find this info elsewhere, just not that easily or anonymously.

• Ha
    Happy88 Apr 04, 2010

SPOKEO only shows YOU put and made readily available on the internet. They in no way invade your privacy, the goal is to show you what YOU'VE put on the internet so you can take it down. Anyone with a little knowledge of Google-Fu can find all the information Spokeo shows you.

Again, YOU are the one who posted YOUR personal information on the internet. Use Spokeo to take it down, like I did...

AngelaR Apr 03, 2010

Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998

AngelaR Apr 03, 2010

What Spokeo is doing is extremely dangerous.

• Mr
    mrs.nicholson Apr 01, 2010

I was told about this site and the morning after when I left for work, I got a call frantic phone call from my 13 year old niece (who lives with my husband, daughter and I) because "2 men are in the house!" She called 911 and it was determined that these 2 men were looking at my "page" on this website the night before the crime. My TWO YEAR OLD daughter AND my 13 year old niece had pictures of themselves on the page. I have NO idea how you people got their pictures but I am SERIOUSLY considering pressing charges.

• Al
    Alkamist Mar 30, 2010

I just found this site out through a friend, I looked up my name, and also my wife's name it had our address, and everythign else, but the worst part was when you enter your email address, and all your pics come up with it, it has my kids pictures and they are underage, and we gave no consent for these pictures to be posted so some perv can come on this site to see where we live and to watch us and to kidnap my kids, im ready for a lawsuit this is my life not there's.. please let me know, i would put my email adress on here but someone might just take that as well. But i will give you another email that i get junk for, [email protected], this is totally uncalled for.