SmartCarpet / Bad experience!

NJ, Staten Island and Eastern PA, US

Let's start with the good news. SmartCarpet's installers are very hardworking and detail-oriented -- it is just a shame their work is wasted. We spent $100,000 on an addition to our home to create an adult den, with a vaulted ceiling, home theater, the whole nine yards. We showed the room to the SmartCarpet Salesman, John Casale, and told him what we were doing with it. He showed us samples that were 2 inches by 2 inches. We are not in court today because, technically, they fulfilled their end of the bargain as we picked-out the carpet. Our problem is that John told us that this was a good carpet and appropriate for what we were going to do with it. And, it is adequate ' if you are flipping a house in a low-income neighborhood or maintaining a rental property, it is fine. However, for a home where you intend to live as well as entertain business associates, it is completely inappropriate. The carpet they put down was half the thickness of the builder's grade carpet they pulled up, and a third the thickness of carpet we had recently purchased from Home Depot. For another $1,000 we should have gone to a real store. As my mother-in-law so eloquently put it, 'What were you thinking, buying carpet out of the back of a van?' (While it is unfortunate that SmartCarpet has forced us to pay $7,000 for the $4,000 carpet we were looking for, at least we will be able to donate their carpet to a local charity).

D  21st of Sep, 2009 by
I agree with you on their installers. I have used them multiple times and their installers have always been detailed oriented.

I was referred to them through two people and that is the only reason why I decided to try them out the first time.

It seems as if you picked a cheap carpet and got a cheap product and now you are upset. Any store is going to sell cheap products. They have to in order to be competitive duh.

I can tell you they are much better than home depot and lowes on price. They have an even bigger selection believe it or not. Do your research on smart carpet they are a huge company I think Inc 500 magazine (I could be wrong) said they sold and installed over 100k jobs. They sell more carpet and flooring than anyone in NJ.

Hey smart carpet if you read this I want a discount on my next order haha.

John P. Slonea
D  17th of Mar, 2011 by
any store will sell you cheap carpet if that is what you want not just to sell it to you and its your fault every sample has a large top piece that you can feel and you would have been able to feel it was cheap so shame on you for being stupid