Silverleaf Resorts / Fraud and scam

My wife and I are Silverleaf timeshare owners since 2006, and I regret the day I signed the note.I would like to express how Silverleaf has managed to basically strip my family of thousands of dollars. I have to admit that it was partly my fault for letting this people "*** in" into buying one of their properties. I should have taken the time to think things thru, but that's just it, once you're in the closing booth, you don't have a chance against their very well put together sales pitch that they use to confuse even the smartest buyer.At first I was really reluctant to sign, but i was reassured by smiling faces and sound explanations that there was nothing to worry about. I thought I asked all the right questions [or so I thought]. So, It all started when we received a letter in the mail saying

that we won won a free vacation of 1 of three presents including a brand new car. They say all you need to do is come for a free 1.5 hour presentation on their resort. They also promise a $40 gas card from Spirit Incentives. These guys are a total scam. The presentation is a high pressure sales job preying on what appeared to be uninformed and unprepared families. Our sales rep was so eager to close the deal that he offered to drive back with us (a 2 hour drive) just to pick up a check for our down payment. Feeling pressured by this "army" of sales people that kept coming to the desk, we finally cave in. Just 24 hours after we signed the documents we drove back to the office, and asked to talk to the sales rep that sold us the package, after waiting for 3 hours this person finally showed up. After we told him that we wanted to cancel the whole thing, he told us that that wasn't an option, and the only thing we could do for us was to downgrade the initial package he had offer us, so of course we accepted ($200 for 7 years, how stupid was I).

We bought the "deluxe package" with access to over 13 different resorts, but every time single time we wanted to use the resorts, everything was taken. Its been almost three years and I was only able to use the resort three times, both times for only a couple of nights. On top of my $ 200 a month I had to pay an extra $ 50 / night to stay there, a small detail that wasn't disclose at the time we signed the contract. Not to mention, that the resort where we stay in Galveston, TX was dirty, the customer service people extremely rude, the room was dirty, the bath tub nasty, there was hair all over the bathroom sink and bath tub.

Their customer service people are plain rude and sometimes they get belligerent on the phone when they we try to get some explanations regarding our membership, and we always get the same answer.. " read your contract". In order to use some of the amenities inside the resorts we are asked to pay extra. another thing they forgot to mention during the sales presentation.

To recap, we got so fed up with this company, their poor and rude customer service, their lies, etc, that we decided to pay them off. We called twice to let them know that we were planning to pay off the account and we need it to know the exact pay off amount, instead of just giving me the pay off amount they transfered me to another sales rep. who tried to sell me an upgrade instead of paying them off. After i said no, they simply hung up. I specifically told them not to take any more money from my account as I was planning to pay them off. They told me "no problem". But, right after the check for $ 6400.00 cleared to took the monthly membership of $ 200 from my account, which I had to close afraid that they would try to take more money out. I was right, and they cost me an extra $ 70 in NSF charges. It took me 2 weeks and several phone calls to get my money back. Just today i got a call from the billing department saying that i still owed them $ 77 to pay off the account, this is 2 weeks later after I received a letter from them telling me that the account was paid off and the lien released. They tried telling me that that letter was mailed by mistake and that if i wanted the lien released i had to pay the remaining balance. So, after 45 minutes on the phone with them they finally agreed to credit my account the $ 77.

I just want to warn other people about Silverleaf resorts, and to do their "homework" before they rush into buying any properties from this company. I recently researched this company and across thousands of complaints.There are hundreds of complaints posted on the BBB website alone, and lots more all over the internet. Let this be a warning to everybody not to buy from this company, unless of course you don't mind throwing your money away and having to deal with a company that cares nothing about its members.

Va

Comments

• Pa
      13th of Oct, 2008

We have been upgraded I can't even remember how many times. I am now in arrears by 3mtbs and they are calling us wanting to downgrade and I'm telling them to just foreclose. With the economy and Hurricane Ike I can live with have these timeshares on my credit. It is better to foreclose on these worthless units than to lose my home. I just talked to Tim at the corporate office and told him I was trying to get my brother or someone to assume the note but he was adamant that it is not assumable. I HAVE THEIR BROCHURE WITH THE "INTENT TO SELL" FORM WHICH SPECIFICALLY SAYS IT IS ASSUMABLE...What a bunch of hulligans!!! The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing or saying.

• Da
      11th of May, 2009

I totally agree. I bought in 2000 and I regret the day that I did. They keep telling me I am behind because they refuse to change my due date which is on the first. They keep telling me I owe all this money and I know that I dont. Iam in massachusettes, is there any out that wants to start a class action againast them, some thing needs to be done.
    thanks dawn moore

• Pe
      16th of Sep, 2009

I think there has to be a way to start a class action suit. I would love to recover at least a portion of the $25, 000 I have paid them over the years. All of you that in for it, respond. The more names we have the better it is to find an attorney to take the case pro-bono. I will need real names (not email names). Sorry but that's the only way. No addresses or ss# but just a list of real owners that can be presented to an attorney.

I say lets go for it and if anyone knows an attorney interested, let us know.