Secure Horizons / scam artists

Secure Horizons
Don't fall for this company...first of all they give you a book with Dr.'s in it. You see your Dr.'s name and think, "all is well"...no, it' s not. Your Dr. tells you, after you've signed up with Secure Horizons that he has been asking them to remove his name from their book for 10 years.

This is the response from Secure Horizons.."you should have asked your Dr. if he was in our book before you signed up with us."

So, it's my (your) fault that even though they have your Dr.'s name in the book, he's not in it.

When I called for an appointment with the Dr. I've been using for years, the secretary said, "he doesn't take Secure Horizons. He said it is a scam."

"What? A SCAM?"

"Yes, it is a scam. no Dr. will take it."

These people are nothing but scam artists. Fair warning! Do not sign up with them. YOU CAN'T GET OFF OF IT ONCE YOU SIGN UP...FOR AN ENTIRE CALENDAR YEAR.

Don't be a sucker like we've been. Beware of Secure Horizons!!!

N  17th of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I have been a member of Secure Horizons with Medicare Part C coverage since the Medicare plans inception several years ago. Since then I have had the misfortune to have several eye surgeries, kidney surgery, a week-long hospitalization for a severe infection, MRIs and CAT scans after a fall with a resulting 2 months of physical therapy, on-going treatment for diabetes, and they provide coveraage
for my durable medical equipment. I am so thankful to have this continuing coverage! I have received far more in coverage than I have ever paid in.
And NEVER have I had a MD or medical facility refuse or even seriously question my SH insurance plan and I have not had any problems of any kind with them nor has my husband.
However, my physical therapy office did question
me as to what United Health's involvement with SH is and I told them that SH is tightly regulated by Social Security through their Center for Medical Services (CMS) as part of the Medicare program and thus must pay the providers in a timely fashion. The secreatary called both CMS and Secure Horizons for confirmation of my statements and was re-assured by these calls and told me that I was right--SH Part C and United Health are NOT the same insurance plan, although they are part of the same company. Seems that United Health has been a slow payer recently and some MDs, etc. are confusing SH Medicare plans with United Health's under 65 plans. Consider that Mercury/Lincoln is a part of the Ford Motor Company, but not all Fords are Mercurys!
Maggie Keeler
A  4th of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I have personal experience with this company as my father and mother had signed up with this insurance thinking that it was AARP endorsed. After looking into this company and seeing the * after the word endorse you read the small print. Secure Horizons pays a fee to AARP to have their letters on their card and letterhead, that's it!!!
My dad had two brain surgeries and they would only let him go to a skilled nursing facility where there was not a CT scan or a doctor there 24/7.
It is a BIG SCAM, it is not better then Medicare and we should be saying SHAME ON YOU, AARP for selling out your good name to these uncaring people.
D  13th of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Susan, honey, they did not let him go anywhere... the skilled nursing facility with no CT scan. You did and the doctor, dah. Stop blaming others for what you should take full responsibility for. The doctors office should have looked into all of the details before sending him their and you should have asked informed questions of them.

AARP, is not an insurance company.that is clearly stated on the commercials. It is a membership for people over 50, but you should know that.

Medicare A and B only covers 80%, the beneficiary is responsible for the other 20%. I can't imagine what 20% of two brain surgeries, etc... would cost you with Medicare alone.

Get educated before you make comments that show that you do not know what you are talking about.
N  29th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I can understand Susan's plight because we pay for this insurance and expect them to inform us, we are the consumer and they work for us; we pay for this service, however, there is no customer service today; doctor offices are not what they use to be, the less they have to do the better they like; doctoring today is about money not about people and their illnesses. I just signed up for AARP Medicare Complete Secure Horizon and have been so dissolutioned; they don't know who there suppliers are, they do not know where to go for the supplier and when you finally get someone who gives you a phone number and you call, the supplier does not even know if they are affiliated with this program; so far this has been a nightmare, I called the salesperson who signed me up and he said "I'm sorry you are disappointed wit this health plan", and that was that.
N  29th of Apr, 2009 by
their and with.
N  13th of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
AARP Secure Horizon Medicare Complete IS a scam! It is supposed to be an HMO which is extra coverage on top of your government regulated Medicare plan (to help pay for the 20% that Medicare alone does not cover). But in actuality it's only ever going to benefit you if you have surgery. My doctor visits with medicare alone cost me $7.00 after medicare paid their part. With Secure Horizons you pay for Medicare as always plus a monthly fee to have their coverage plus a copay ($15.00, $30.00, $45.00) on top of what you've already paid out. What's even worse, they don't cover many basic medical services (which means you have to pay the total amount). You will wish you had just stayed on Medicare alone. Folks, we need to band together and file a class action lawsuit to get out of their system.
N  4th of Jul, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Re the comment of "MOS": This writer is completely unhelpful, to say the least. His second word is meant to deride the sincere writer whose comment he is answering. Please, MOS, GET A GRIP! (and you also need better grammar: in your first paragraph, you meant to say "doctor's, " not "doctors" and "there" not "their.")
D  29th of Jul, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
With just having a Stent procedure, I have no complaints with Secure Horizon. The Hospital bill was over $36000 and the Doctor fees were at $8000. I have only paid out $375 to the Hospital and $40 to the Doctor and that was for office visits. So are they a scam. I don't think so. I just hope I spelled everything correctly.
A  17th of Aug, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
My father has been with Secure Horizons for several years. Thankfully, he has had only minor health problems during this time. Aside from the referral approval process being slow, Secure Horizons has provided generally good service. However, my father now has cancer and there is not a malignant melanoma specialist in the Secure Horizons group, so his primary doctor asked for a referral to a specialist outside of Secure Horizons in order that he could receive appropriate treatment. Secure Horizons has refused this, and instead has recommended that he be treated by an oncologist who does not specialize in malignant melanoma. We have appealed this decision and Secure Hosizons has denied the appeals. Thus, the melanoma has advanced and so we disenrolled from Secure Horizons so that my father's insurance would revert to Medicare. Now, Secure Horizons is stating that malignant melnoma is an insufficient reason to disenroll and he must wait until November to disenroll becuase he can receive care from the non-melanoma specialist who has previously indicated that they cannot treat my father.

Thus, whereas several months ago my father would have rated Secure Horizons service as satisfactory, now he is desperately trying to get out of their program and they are refusing to provide appropriate treatment or let him disenroll. Cancer is life or death, my father is 89 year old and I find Secure Horizons' actions to be repulsive and reprehensible. I have called and we have talked to "customer service" and am always told to put our grievance in writing, which we do and then get denials in teh mail. Secure Horizons is the poster child for healthcare abuse as portrayed in Michael Moore's Sickop movie. Secure Horizons should be out of business and AARP should get out of their endorsement deal - AARP's reputation is being abused here as much as the seniors who fall into the Secure Horizons trap.
A  25th of Aug, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I broke several bones in my right foot in June, 2009 which required surgery and wires attached to hold the bones together to allow them to heal. Immediately after surgery my doctor ordered a "bone stimulator" to speed healing. Secure Horizon denied the request and stated that "only after 3 months, if the bones were not healed, would they would allow me the use of a bone stimulator, (cost $2, 000). My doctor has insisted to no avail. He said my bones would heal in one month if I had the bone stimulator.

I live alone, have always lived independantly, and have now been in a cast and on crutches for 3 months. My doctor has repeatedly requested the bone stimulator and some "Patient Care Committee" determined that I was not eligible until three months has passed. I have never heard of a "committee" determining patient care and overruling a doctor for necessary treatment.

I am considering a lawsuit simply because of denial of medical care and I cannot take care of my needs on crutches. Cook, clean, etc. I live on a hillside which required 10 steep steps to even reach level ground from my home. Very difficult to navigate on crutches.

I know my problem is probably minor compared to major illnesses; however, this "committe" took away my rights to medical care, a speedy recovery and has caused me months of unecessary pain and made me a "shut in" and unable to care for my necessities.

Bottom line, I don't think a "committe" should overrule a doctors orders or requests which would speed a patients recovery!

Betty Baker, Spring Branch, Texas
A  29th of Aug, 2009 by
i must say i agree to a class action law suit to obtain disenrollment from secure horizons. i don't think they should have the right to hold us against our will. why medicare will not step in and refuse to send them the part b medicare payments is beyond me, that would stop enrollment the first time they did not receive their payment in your name. where is the government on this? guess they have much bigger things to do, like bail out big business.

bob porter, ark.
A  23rd of Nov, 2009 by
I got a letter from Secure Horizon saying that they took off my medication Bromocriptine from their list of covered drugs. I was operated on tumor of on the pituirary gland and I need to take this medicine during my lifetime. I used to pay only $10 for a 90-day supply, now I have to get it somewhere for $140 for a 90-day supply. I joined SH and dropped my Aetna coverage 2 years ago thinking that Secure Horizon would be cheaper. I was sooOOO wrong. Your guys out there, BEWARE!!!. Secure Horizon will leave you out in the cold to die once your medicine cost start going higher.

Celeste, Riverside
A  29th of Nov, 2009 by
AARP Medicare Complete Secure Horizons - United Healthcare is a total scam in more ways than one. They canceled my dad because he moved. HUH? They issued him a new card and know he moved but canceled him and no amount of phone calls and letters would straighten it out. Meanwhile we're out thousands on a first, for him, hospitalization and a million mix ups without having a doctor, pharmacy coverage. AARP is zero help. Medicare says it's them, they say it's medicare - it's all a big mess and they refuse to help. Crooks!
A  12th of Dec, 2009 by
Dear HelperDaughter --

That was exactly my experience, but for me, not my parent! Fortunately, during the X months -- wait, let me see, from March, 2008, when I was put back on Medicare, till October or November, '08 -- I did not have any health problems other than needing a prescription or two: my doctors trusted that they would eventually be paid. They were paid, some a year after treatment. No wonder they hate these so-called Advantage plans! And I had the same experience with AARP: zero help.

Now, my cutoff by Secure Horizons wasn't because I moved, it was because I had difficulty getting back on Medicare after I realized I wasn't going to be called back to the job I'd been laid off from. At that point, I decided to switch from COBRA (super expensive, compared to Medicare) to Secure Horizons. I went to one of these "diner meetings, " that all the so-called Advantage plans gave in late 2007, where they fed us seniors breakfast in exchange for falling for their promised better-than-straight-Medicare deal. Yeah, right! The Social Security office clerks couldn't understand why I'd want Medicare instead of my $458/mo. COBRA. Hmmm... wonder why I'd want that? So it took some doing to reinstate my Medicare eligibility. All the while, I kept in touch w/Secure Horizons, but when my eligibility came through (eff. March 1), they didn't. Mucho phone calls & letters later -- 8 or 9 mos. -- to be exact (yeah, I could have had a BABY in all that time!) -- I got reinstated. Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I'm switching to straight Medicare in a few weeks (Jan.1) and I can't wait.
A  8th of Jan, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
As an insurance biller Secure Horizon is a nightmare. Patients have come to our office, recieved services that are clearly marked as covered under their benefits and they pay premiums for and then the claim is denied stating these services are non-covered. To no avail I have fought and fought with this company without any solution. Unfortunately for our patients they will now recieve a bill for these services they thought were covered and Secure Horizon is stating it is not. The insured will no have to fight the battle with the insurance company. This is very unfortunate for the patient and a medical practice, since it does cause the patient to have hard feelings towards the provider.

N  11th of Feb, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
My mother in law has Secure Horizon. I wonder about it all the time. I've had a foot doctor refuse it and a nursing home act like it wasn't much good, but they took it.
She has been in and out of the hospital and i have not seen bills for more than the $125/day for 6 days. I'm sure they've paid or denied hundreds of thousands of dollars for my mother in law. if they denied the claims i haven't heard about it and frankly, i don't give a flying damn. They treat my mother in law like anybody else, if they were screwed they don't discuss it with me. one thing we do... she can sign her name and not much else. we have her sign ALL paperwork. She has no money. so good luck trying to screw her. credit report? LOL!! Look out!! if you don't let me sleep with your daughter i'll ruin your credit!!! LOL you let yourself be held hostage by that ### you're crazy. the hospitals and the doctors seem to me to be the crooks in this whole business and the insurance companies seem to be trying to keep them from ripping them off.
N  11th of Feb, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Carefully reading these complaints you find SH and united healthcare refused to pay for:

* experimental treatment
* pre-existing conditions
* incorrectly billed procedures
* out of network hopes and prayers.

Secure Horizons has treated my mother-in-law according to the contract. We have spent a few thousand dollars on her care and I promise you, her care cost *somebody* at least $100, 000+

But no, our doctor didn't suggest we spend six months getting experimental treatment in a private room with the white house staff doctor. i guess then i'll be pissed too.
N  7th of Oct, 2010 by
unbelievable how all these "uninformed" people complain. They do NOT calculate the increased cost to buy medicap insurance to supplement original medicare...to cover the 20% that medicare does not cover.

That medicap policy costs me $1800 per year...so a medicare advantage plan is much better. I have just checked out AARP's plans and checked the doctors and hospitals that accept it and then I called each doctor I wanted and each hospital to verify. All said they do accept aarp medicare complete...

so with medicare advantage I save $1800 per year in NO supplemental coverage costs, the doctor and specialst copays are $10 and $20, the hospital costs is $290 per day for days 1-5 ( the same as original medicare) and 0 (zero) for days 6-90 and the max out of pocket expenses are $4750 yearly, including drug coverage.

My Cost is Zero premium...just keep paying my medicare part B premium, which I would also have to do with original medicare.

So Medicare advantage save you from having to shell out $1800 a year for supplemental insurance, it's up to you to verify that your doctors and hospitals accepts it (90% do) and that your drugs are covered.

Overall, it makes financial sense to get a medicare advantage plan...so quit the complaining.
A  3rd of Dec, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I sit here in a hospital room awaiting the discharge of my 74 y/o father. He had abdominal surgery and was diagnosed with cancer. Mind you he is a spry 74 y/o who is very active and has a strong constitution. I am not certain if we are taking him home or to a rehab facility. He is still in pain and needs assistance but some area director at Secure Horizon who has not met my father seems to think he can go home. I have also run into issues with several doctors who won’t accept Secure Horizon because they are difficult. The road blocks this company has to utilizing the coverage are completely UNACCEPTABLE. The ratio of rehab facilities that accept Secure Horizon is something like 20 to 1. It was difficult to find a place that would accept his insurance and even more difficult to find a decent facility that accepted Secure Horizon. Thankfully this is December and I can change his insurance to Medicare effective the first of January so that we can go to world class physicians for chemo and radiation treatment. I have learned thru this process that EVERYONE accepts Medicare but only a small percentage of the health care community take Secure Horizon and even then they find reasons not to pay. Pulling teeth is easier.

D  27th of Feb, 2011 by
Wow, after reading these comments it's hard to know where to start. 1. They are not a SCAM! They are a legit healthcare coverage company. 2. You can choose a PPO or an HMO. 3. You can choose prescription coverage or not. As for saying no doctors will sign up with them - bologna! My primary care physician is a member and I called his office prior to choosing which of the multitude of plans are out there. My cardiologist is a member, I also called his office prior to choosing which plan. If either had not been a member I would have asked them which plans they do take. Not rocket science here.

Their prescription plan has to cover the same medications that plain old Medicare covers so if your medication is not covered by this plan it is not covered by Medicare - there are plans out there that will but it will cost you.

As for this plan costing extra? Mine doesn't - I am on the PPO plan I pay no extra for my coverage, if you do then you chose a plan that does and again that was your choice.

Insurance is not what it used to be if you want full coverage you will pay for it - there are plans out there that cost upwards of $500.00 per month - you want full coverage pay it.

As for the people who have a family member with malignant melanoma - if the Oncologist you took them to can not treat a condition (This sounds very suspicious to me) there are other Oncologists and if there are NONE then a physicians written letter to the insurance company should take care of getting a specialist and your doctor's office IS aware of this.

So believe me, I am no fan of insurance companies, I've had horrible experiences with them in the past. I have had a double bypass, several stents, heart attack and am diabetic. I have had several hospitalizations and numerous outpatient surgeries. I know the insurance companies will deny deny deny then after you are ready to pull your hair out they will pay. Most states have an Insurance Inpectors office, if you believe you have been treated unfairly - contact them.

To date, I have been very satisifed with my choice of the AARP/Medicare Complete PPO plan. Yes, there are 2 medications I take not covered - they are not covered by MEDICARE so this plan is not required to cover then either. I could have gone on a plan that would cover them but the monthly expence of that plan was very high. If you are unhappy with this plan when the renewal period comes around again, be prepared - do your research now so you can change to a plan that more meets your needs. Kathy H