Sawnee EMC / Unbielievable

I relocated to an area whereby Sawnee EMC is the only power provider. My credit rating is average and I have a history of paying bills, especially utilities, on-time. Georgia Power was willing to provide Sawnee EMC a letter of credit stating that. I was charged 150.00 ("bases on credit report from Equifax) connection fee... only to be payed back in 30 (yes, that's right 30 months)months! Wait, there's more. I went online to set up "paperless"billing (saving them, plus the environment:-)) and a message populated stating that "due to drastic increase of credit card payments, there will be a $3.50 fee for every transaction.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Va

Comments

• Ha
      1st of Jan, 2010

Sawnee EMC stinks. We'd do anything if some competition would move in and give them a run for their money.

• Hz
      20th of Jan, 2010

Please anyone give SAWNEE EMC a run for their money. It's disgusting the way they are taking advantage of people with their high rates and polices. New policy states anytime you change address locations they are to re-run your credit for any additional deposit amts. huh? I have been your customer paying my bill for over 2yrs and now you are telling me that I must give you an additional $200 deposit before you can change my service to my new address and you will be holding that deposit for an additional 30mths. WOW. Their rates are twice that of Georgia Power if not more.

22nd of Jun, 2010

Horrible company! I hate this place with a passion! Firstly I’ve never had to pay a deposit anywhere but when I moved I had to obtain services with Sawnee EMC and not Georgia Power. My deposit was $300 and they will NOT credit your account until you lived in your apt. or home for more than 30 months! This place is a joke and the customer service reps are rude and racist individuals in my humble opinion. Try asking for budget billing, ha, even more hilarious because it was the same amount as my ridiculously high monthly bill associated with them. When I was with Georgia Power, I never had a monthly bill over $60 during my 4 years with them. With Sawnee EMC, I’ve never had a monthly bill less than $60 and I live alone! The rates are horrendous and I give anything if I could be switched back to Georgia Power! I hate this place!

• Di
      18th of Sep, 2010

Sawnee EMC are scamming their customers. Yesterday I return home with my power off. I paid last months SawneeEMC to Scana and Scana to Sawnee EMC...I have overpaid Sawnee occasionally in the 15 years I have been a customer and no complaints. They now have a mailbox in Alabama and has changed the box umber around a few times so it takes extra time for the money to get there...why you ask more late fees generated. Why a local comapny in metro Atlanta need sto go to Alabama for banking is obvious.

The banks in Georgia would love to have their account and they(Sawnee EMC) would get their money faster. The worst part it was beginnig a religious holiday which with the wait time for the call made me late for services. On top of everything else the shutoffor turn on blew my circuit board on my fridge.

Sawmee EMC is a coop so they are supposed to be consumer driven not driving the consumers away. They need
    realize they are a utility with a special status that is a coop.

THEY NEED TO REALIZE THAT MOST CONSUMERS ARE PAYING THEOR BILLS THEY DID GET A PAYMENT FROM ME JUST THE AMOUNT WAS WRONG, AND REALIZE THAT SHUTTING OFF PEOPLES ELECTRICITY IS POTENTIALLY DEVASTAING FOR A CUSTOMER AND INCURS MANY INCONVENIENCES AND COSTS.

24th of Sep, 2010

My sons lights were cut off because he could not pay his light bill in this time of hardship with no work so he moved to a friends home for 2 weeks trying to work and get the money to have his lights turned back on. His bill was $400 and some dollars when it was turned off 2 weeks later when he called to have them turned back on they told him that he would have to pay over a $1000. to get his power back on if this is not highway robbery what the hell is it.

24th of Sep, 2010

this so much [censor]
    Sawnee EMC rates lowered
    By Staff
    CUMMING - Sawnee Electric Membership Corporation announces a rate reduction averaging $15-a-month for the average residential bill.

It's the result of action by the EMC's Board of Directors lowering the Wholesale Power Cost Adjustment (WPCA) billing factor effective October 4.

For the remainder of the year, the power bills of about 130, 000 members whose bill includes this charge will be reduced. Officials estimated that this reduction should save Sawnee members over $6 million dollars in lower power costs over the next three months.

“This is great news for our members; especially after such a brutally hot summer that contributed to above normal energy bills, coupled with the fact that so many people in our area are struggling financially” states Blake House, Vice President of Member Services. “We know that many of our members are seeing challenges and we want to do all we can to assist them.”

• Fo
      2nd of Dec, 2010

i am being charged a 450 dollar deposit to get service. I told them i could not afford it and was willing to make payments. I also mentioned it's 32 degree's outside and i have an infant. They have refused me service and i am sitting in the dark with my children and no hope for power for the next two weeks when i get paid. They don't care apparently. I offered to make payments or switch to GA power or something... This is a monopoly and i am sure it's illegal to deny a person service outright. If my child falls i'll pay anything to sue them and get my pound of flesh !

• Di
      15th of Apr, 2011

Sawnee EMC is THE WORST Service... Unfortunately I dont have an option where I live..to switch to a different service provider... I am sooo soo unhappy customer with them. They just take advantage of the customers.. This is Monopoly..

• Ri
      6th of May, 2011

Sawnee is a bully and a rip off just because customers dont have a choise to move to another electric company.i recently got disconnected due to being out of town, got back and paid the $90 and all the other payments the same day to get my power back on. now on my next bill there is a $300 dollar connection charge..this is so not right.they are thieves..i am moving as soon as i could just so i would not have to give that company another cent.oh and their customer service is very rude.

• Ti
      5th of Apr, 2012

I have the same problem with SAWNEE EMC, they are thief.
    Just send a message to the CEO of the company.
    Michael A. Goodroe
    President and CEO
    Sawnee EMC
    Kristi Sheriff
    Assistant to the President & CEO
    email your correspondence to Mr. Goodroe to
    kristi.[protected]@sawnee.com
    and I will make sure that he receives it.
    Sawnee EMC

543 Atlanta Hwy.

Cumming, GA 30040

(678) 455-1387

Description: Description: cid:image001.[protected]@01CC9493.857C4900Description: Description: cid:image002.[protected]@01CC9493.857C4900

• Ti
      7th of Apr, 2012

Re: Electrical Meter Relocation for 3440 Sharon Dr. Cumming, Ga. 30041

Dear Mr. Goodroe

On November of 2011 I contacted Suwanee EMC to relocate my meter to a new meter box. After a few days, an engineer by the name of Mr. Serge Gagnon was assigned to contact me. After days of waiting and leaving messages on his phone, finally Mr. Gagnon appeared at the house.

After a long discussion between Mr. Gagnon, my electrician, the carpenter, and I, Mr. Gagnon came up with the idea to put a new pole in the middle of the yard and an underground cable connecting it to the meter box. After he quoted us a price of $250, we all agreed to go ahead with his plan. He then started marking the ground and putting flags for the new service cable. Based on the quote he gave us we went ahead with new wirings in the house.

Few weeks later, I made several attempts to get in touch with him, but with no success. He never answered the phone nor returned any of my phone calls. My last attempt to call him was last month, again without any answer. After this last attempt, I sent a message to customer service by e-mail and also contacted them by phone and issued a complaint against him. A few days later he stopped by again and marked the ground and put new flags and left without any attempt to speak with me about the service.

Last week I applied for a temporary power connection with Forsyth County Planning and Development. After this, Mr. Serge called me and left a curt message on my phone, in which he simply gave the price of the new connection of $1959.32. This price was four times higher than the original quote he gave us. I called him back right away to speak with him regarding the price, but again he did not respond or return my calls.

Mr. Gagnon has been dishonest, rude, and unprofessional in my entire experience with him. I feel that he changed the price of the service out of spite for me. An employee like Mr. Serge will seriously damage reputable companies like Suwanee EMC.

I have two witnesses who were present when he gave my original quote who can back up my claim and testify in court if necessary.

I am only asking for fairness and to be charged for the service with the original quote that I was given. I will consider taking legal action if this issue is not resolved in 10 days.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

• We
      27th of Feb, 2013

Sam wilbanks,
    I am planning a petition for removal of wholesale power cost. Sawnee emc is stealing money from consumers. Please email me [protected]@AOL.com to sign this petition. As stated on the constitution, we the people... We can fight this company together!!!

• We
      27th of Feb, 2013

I am planning a petition to remove wpc wholesale power cost from all bills, email me [protected]@AOL.com we can fight this evil company with our federal rights, sawnee emc is no more than common theifs with a manopoly!

• Cu
      9th of May, 2013

Sawnee EMC is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Their Customer Service folks are the worst in the Industry. They are rude, could care less and their Business practices make no sense! Example: I have been with Sawnee in my same house since 1998 (15 Years) my Billing cycle has always been due in between my pay checks and I would end up in the 2 months on a bill each time so you have to carefully monitor the disconnect dates. I called them numerous times over the years and they will not change a Billing Cycle unless you are completely current on your bill. At the time I could not afford to pay both months at once so I would pay the prior month but thereby never in their definition was my account ever current. Then they started some process where if you paid on the final due date on the bill you would occasionally get a $35 Charge they defined as Step 1 of Disconnection. We may have to turn this guy off so we better hit him with a $35 Charge. That charge is not consistent by any means which is funny also. I am very busy and not that I'm saying that as an excuse but I have found myself in the situation where I always know what day I had to pay Sawnee to avoid any of their additional Charges and keep the power on because they JUMP at the opportunity to shut you down first and foremost. They supposedly have a callout system and an email that goes out but that is complete BS because just last month I was disconnected because I did not make my payment of the prior month before date X and I cam home to find no power. I never got an email, I never got a call. They refuse to ever consider their processes are not perfect. I called in that evening to of course pay the bill plus the $125 reconnect fee and it was still 2 hours before anyone got their to turn my power back on. I have been through that scenario with them multiple times and hey that is me I'm not saying otherwise but I am saying that they have processes to remind folks of possible disconnect that are not consistent by any stretch of the means but that is never an issue for them. They want change the Bill Cycle until you are completely current. They completely love setting folks up for Failure and more Fee's.
    Having been with them now for 15 years and they have never lost a dime on me and they have made a boat load with add on fee's off of me over the years. But they now decide after 180 months of service - slap a $300 dollar deposit to my current Bill?????

Folks I have been their 15 years, paid you every frickin dime you have billed me and you have made a fortune on me with your Fee's could someone please EXPLAIN to me what a good a deposit is at this stage other than just another petty way to add insult to injury. There are no words.
    End the Monopoly !!

• Fi
      5th of Oct, 2013

I agree, Sawnee EMC claims to "care" about their customers but they will cut your service off, add a large deposit and they know that you have no choice but to pay the deposit because there is no other light company in their district. They cut off our lights when we're a month behind and they do not try to make arrangements. Either you pay or you have NO LIGHTS. They don't care about embarrasing you and they tack on an extremeley high deposit after being a customer for over a year. Please send me your emails. I plan on starting a petition against Suwanee EMC to the State of Georgia. you can send me one to [protected]@gmail.com. Thanks

• Ke
      4th of Mar, 2015

This company is heartless! I have been with them close to 10 years. We fell behind this month and asked for an additional 4 day extension pass the 7 day extension they normally give. Keep in mind
    they only give 3 extension a year and those can only go out 7 days! I had this problem once years ago and they did the same thing luckily then a family member helped out looks like we will loose our power this time. There greediness and rules make it a horrible electric company to have your service through. I talked to the supervisor `and she did not move an inch I practically begged. I really do not want to be with this company, all my other creditors worked with me except for this company. They say they are non profit but it does not help us the customer bit there rates are higher in some cases and they are simply not flexible with their rules. There is absolutely no human element with this company. Thanks Georgia State Legislator for allowing monopolies where companies can treat customers however they wish. They must of paid the right people.

• Al
      14th of Dec, 2015

I have had Sawnee EMC as my power company since 2001 when I moved to Alpharetta which is their monopolized territory where they can do whatever the hell they want without any interference of the authorities.
    In those 15 years my street lights were out a few times and each time it took them 2-3 months to fix the problem.In those 15 years I always paid the bills on time but I missed two payments, both times because of not receiving the bill and I got charged $15 late fee each time . When I called their office both times the agents were rude and abrupt, having answers ready just not to credit the $15, saying they are not at fault, like they really own those fees and they are entitled to them. That is highway robbery to me. A company with a lousy service department should not expect the customers to be so perfect. especially they should not treat a customer who has always paid his bills on time so terribly. But they do not care. As far as I am concerned they should all go to hell!
    THEY ARE THE WORST. I can not wait for the day that we have more than one power provider and the day that companies compete for the business.

• Ep
      5th of Nov, 2018
    Sawnee EMC - Electircal Service
    Cumming, GeorgiaCumming

Unfair fees, charges, disconnections, and rude to customers