Ross Dress for Less / poor customer service

1 5353 Almaden Expy San Jose, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (408) 978-2555

I lost a hand-made Navajo bracelet in the Ross Dress for Less store on Almaden Blvd. in San Jose, California this afternoon. It is sterling silver with turquoise and coral stones, and has great sentimental value for me because it is one of a kind. After looking on the floor all over the store and checking the fitting room myself, I ask the loss control person to announce on the store intercom that I had lost the bracelet and that I would pay any customer who returned it a $20 reward. The Loss Person paged the store manager for permission without success. After an extended period the loss person went upstairs to speak with the store manager. Some time later, he returned to tell me that the store manager had refused to make an announcement on my behalf. I then waited in a lengthy line at Customer Service to let them know that I had lost the bracelet and to leave my name and number in case it turned up. As I waited in line, the assistant manager appeared nearby. I spoke with the assistant manager myself and again he refused to make the announcement. So much time passed between my initial request and getting an answer that any customer who may have found the bracelet had probably left the store. I do not feel that my request for an announcement was unreasonable. Nor do I feel that the extended period between the time that I asked for help and the time I got a response was reasonable. In the end, all I could do was leave my name and number in case the bracelet turned up. As a result of this lack of cooperation and the "who cares" attitude of the assistant manager, Ross lost a sale this afternoon that was worth far more than the value of the bracelet. It also lost a customer for life. I told the assistant manager this, gave my shopping cart full of clothing to the loss control person, and left the store. This lack of courtesy and customer service is unacceptable.

Comments

• Ig
      15th of Mar, 2009

You lost your bracelet, not Ross. I wouldn't want to be bothered by such a confusing announcement if I was shopping there. Get off your high horse.

• St
      15th of Sep, 2009

Seriously making that announcement would've been a waste of time. Customers do not listen to the overhead intercom. They just tune it out. I mean we page people to customer service and to the office all the time. Plus when we close we announce 3 or 4 times that the store is closing. The customers do not listen. We have to still walk up to people who just keep shopping, andtell them personally that we are closed. So sorry but that would have been stupid.

• Ro
      18th of Mar, 2010

I have been a Ross customer for 10 years, have shopped in many Ross stores.
    the store you have at 12690 W.Sunrise blvd . in Sunrise Fl. has very poor
    service. Every time I go there, they only have 1 line open and it"s very
    long. I've complained to the store manager serveral times that they needed
    to hire more checkout clerks. There"s 3 checkout lanes and the 2 customer service
    counters. I don"t understand why only 1 line is opened. I don" know if others have
    complained, but everybody that" s in line complains when i"m there. I told one of
    the managers yesterday that I was going online to the corporate office to make
    a complaint, because complaining to him has not changed at the check outs.
    I love shopping at Ross and know serveral other people who love shopping at Ross.
    Could someone please fix the problem at this store?