Ross / Racist manager who doesn't care who he hires!

United States Review updated:
I am working at a Ross store and one of the managers has been proven so many times that he does not care who he hires. He has hired so many people who barely speak English. He knows Spanish but that doesn't mean the customers or the other employees know how to speak it! It really frustrates me along with a lot of the co-workers, but they are too afraid to do anything since they're concerned about keeping their jobs.

The store is very disorganized and one time I had to stay till 11:40pm to clean up the mess. Some of the co-workers do NOT help and just mess around, talk on their cellphones, or laze around and it's very frustrating having to work with these people. I greet every customer with a "hello" and a smile, but many of the co-workers do not even care and are just expecting their next paycheck. Yes, we are working there to make money but they do not realize what they are doing is actually affecting the customers. I have encountered many rude customers but I still kept on a smile and did what I could to make them feel better.

One of the Managers, who I will name Z, does not care AT ALL! He has asked me repeatedly to come in on days that I need off in order to study, however instead of understanding that I'm a full-time student he goes on an angry rant at me... Also, I will be reporting to HR that he has made a racist comment towards me. This past Tuesday I was working and was getting off at noon, but Z showed up and asked if I could stay a few hours longer. I responded that I needed to complete an assignment that is due in a few days, and he replied with, "Well, you're Asian... you're smart and could easily do your assignment in under an hour. So, can you stay?" I had to keep my cool and not cause a scene but i was greatly offended by what he said.

I know that the store is very, very disorganized, most of the staff are very rude towards customers...

I just really wish customers wouldn't take apart the merchandise, but the only reason they do that is to make sure the items are still in there. Also, I really wish parents keep an eye on their children... tearing apart toys, boys throwing footballs at each other and hitting another customer in the head, children getting lost, etc... it's just...Ross is not a daycare.

And I really want the managers to hire people who are friendly, outgoing and just bring brightness into the store.

I'll keep smiling but I don't know how long it will last...
E

Comments

Al
  18th of Jul, 2008
I beleive that this person is completely and utterly correct. the employees that work there are usually very rude and are just there for a paycheck, but they dont realize that the costumers are how they get their paycheck. I have a very deep respect for those that work in such an invironment and still treat people with respect. Also the repect of the costumers is quite pathetic, but i believe it to be nothing more then a reaction to the respect recieved from the employees.

Ross Dress for Less Logo Ross Dress for Less