RM Williams / Terrible company

1 RM Williams 180 Collins StMelbourne, Victoria, Australia Review updated:
Phone: 61-3 9662 9126

1.On Feb2 08 at the Collins st store of RmWilliams we put in a pair of boots with perfect custom handmade tapered elegant heels to be re-soled(the heels were perfect and unworn). The heels were ADMIRED by the staff in the shop as they were put in. The staff was interested in how we got RM's to do this special heel on them... ($100 for resoling). Weeks later the resoled boots came back, with the heels replaced with standard harsh craftsman heels.

I traveled into the store again, asked for the heels to be tapered as were the original. Weeks later, boots came back with a minimal taper at the center back, not the proper tapered & minimally higher heel as I described and as were on them originally. THIS HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED. The boots are spoiled. Fine for farm work but not for the city. The shop blames the factory. I believe the shop did not do the paperwork properly nor bother to listen or note what we clearly asked for. The shop has NOT helped in any way or taken responsibility.

2.On 2 feb, at the same time, ordered and paid in full($100 EXTRA to do it it person!) for boots to be made and the heels to be copied from this pair of rmwilliams boots which we were putting in to be resoled.

IT is now 4 MONTHS SINCE I PAID THE $100 PREMIUM TO COLLINS ST and my boy has not got his new boots which RMWilliams told us would be made with 3 or 4 weeks. This is appalling. The shop has been arrogant and lazy in not specifying what was needed for the 2 pairs of boots.

We are return customers to Collins st. RMWilliams and long term customers of RMWilliams. We have been treated very badly. The shop keeps promising the boots will arrive. I have spent a lot of time complaining and driving in there and so on, also major complaint to the company in Adelaide and was told that I would be phoned by the factory which did not happen.

I dread how the new boots will be heeled. I do not want to go thru the whole episode again. Be warned. Get something better in writing from the shop if you order, give minimal deposit. The ordered boots were the most expensive an d I paid for it all in advance.

We have been ripped off!

Va

Comments

• As
      22nd of Sep, 2008

I have been a customer of this company for over 50 years. Any one who puts in a pair of boots for a resole and heel should know that it involves replacing the sole and the heel- as the heel is attatched to the sole component.
    I have experienced nothing but good service from this company.

• Sh
      30th of Jul, 2009

Some chinese boot makers are coming out with boots far superior to RM Williams. I found the quality of leather was far far better and and the craftmenship was superb. Times are changing...

• Qu
      19th of May, 2010

Chinese boots far superior to RM Williams.! What a joke. The Chinese have made a big mark in many textile areas where price is more important than quality but RM Williams boots are legendary the world over for their quality - they are never likely to be beaten.

• Wo
      27th of May, 2011

RM Williams make fine boots, but not at the same level as R.E. Tricker's, Alfred Sargent, White's Boots, West Coast Shoe Company, Viberg, etc.
    I've had custom made shoes from all these brands, and RM Williams was by far the most difficult to work with:
    They were unwilling to do most customisations which were easily accepted by the other factories, including two-tone options, different rubber sole options, mid-sole layering, boots height, etc.
    The staff at most stores also had little idea of boot anatomy or building, and couldn't comment much on the tannages of their various leathers.
    Would love to keep supporting a local company, but they really must pick up their MTO and custom-made game!

• Ne
      23rd of Nov, 2013

RM Williams need to get their customer relationships to a new level. Their level of communication is very very poor and harsh replies are often the norm. My RMs had a lot of the surface leather come away, apparently a common problem, but they will never acknowledge this. I submitted my boots to one of their stores it and months later after they went in for assessment they wanted $150 to change them over. Dont get that?? The so called quality failed to last, the product was substandard ( they had only been worn a few times), the damage was not due to overuse or wear, and then they refused to change them over unless I came up with a huge amount of folding. Very Verry poor customer relations, and verrry very unhappy. I will never buy RM Williams boots again. I agree totally with the poor followup by this Company. One pays $425 now for a pair of boots and once you walk out the door bad luck if anything goes wrong.

1st of Mar, 2015

I purchase a pair of craftsmen from RM Williams Robina March 2013, less than 2 years later the leather has torn, when I went back to RM Williams at Robina I was told by the surely idiot there that "its just one of those things and there is nothing you can do about it" so to my mind if RM Williams was manufacturing high quality for their very high priced leather goods there would be something that could be done about it. Not impressed with eithe product quality or the poor service.

• Er
      22nd of Jan, 2016

I have to admit that I love their boots and will always buy them as I have not had issues with them HOWEVER their new range of jeans (made in Pakistan) and other products are absolute rubbish. Save your money and go else where. I have spent thousands of dollars in the past for R M Williams products and have a wardrobe full of "Australian" made shirts, jumpers, moleskins and jeans. If you are lucky enough to find any of these products with the Longhorn logo, it is safe to buy as it is a quality AUSTRALIAN made product. The rest would be better displayed and sold in Target or Lowes. Come on R M Williams. Don't ruin a proud AUSTRALIAN brand by selling cheap sweat shop rubbish at ridiculous prices