real insurance

2.75
real insurance
Brisbane, Queensland
Australia
This company who's adds are presented by Foxtell as well as real life cover is a con company and will not pay out on claims also bump your preamiums up 50% for no reason the TV AND FOXTELL have a duty of care to ban this company from the air but dont care as long as they get paid, read the reports on this site please before you get taken http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=54826§ion=REVIEWS&next=4

and they are proud to have assosiats like Amway and more these are the mob of ratbags that made the economy what it is today and if your too dumb to see this then you maybe better off not reading things you dont understand, i personaly know victims of the floods and fires who will never get paid because this company has some ### to cover it, they have been sued many times and are still in court as i type many have waited 4 to 5 yrs and are still waiting the customer service is crap they are rude arogant and often hang up when asked relivant questions please help stamp out these com merchants send emails to foxtell and your tv stations now, it's the battlers get hurt by these con insurance companys

tell
Complaint comments Comments (31)    Updated: Complaint country Australia Complaint category Home Insurance / Warranty
More real insurance Complaints & Reviews
real insurance - Car Insurance [3]
real insurance - Customer service

Comments

D  9th of Jun, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Hello,

My name is Magda and I work at Real Insurance. I assure you that we are not a "con company" but a reputable Australian insurer licensed and regulated by APRA (the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority) and ASIC (Australian Securities and Investments Commission), the same bodies that regulate the other insurers Australians know and trust.

I'm very disappointed to read your negative review of our company. I really wish I had come across it sooner so that I could address your complaints. It sounds like you have had a bad experience with us and I would like to help correct that if possible. I urge you to use our contact form to get in touch with me. It's located here http://www.realinsurance.com.au/About/TellUsWhatYouThink.aspx. Please mention my name in the body of your email.

I'm very proud to say that we have countless satisfied customers at Real Insurance. Many of them volunteer to share their experiences on our website and in our ads. We know that we're not perfect, however, so if you do have a complaint, please tell me what it is and we will resolve it.

Sincerely,

Magda
A  17th of Aug, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I am still with REAL Insurance however I am actively looking for something else. My wife rolled her vehicle last year so naturally we contacted REAL immediately. We were contacted by a representative to assist with the claim. We submitted everything required and as time went along Iwas hoping to be informed as to the progress but nothing. So I contacted the rep both by email and also phoning. Emails were never answered and phones calls always went through to her message bank which likewise were never answered. I was very lucky at one stage where she picked up the phone finally but gave no explanation as to why nothing had been answered except that she was busy. My wife went without a vehicle for four months before they finally paid the claim as they had written off the vehicle. Very dissapointing and obviously they work their staff hard to the point where they are unable to service their clients. Oh by the way they are very attentive in sales and are quite happy to take your money. My recommendation, steer clear of these guys and go with a reputable brand name ! These guys do things on the cheap and you get what you pay for.
A  8th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have same exprience as Mikz had.
I contacted the case manager both by email and also phoning. Emails were never answered and phones calls always went through to her message bank which likewise were never answered. I been called few days latter but she gave no explanation as to why nothing had been answered except that she was busy.
the customer service is really crap they are rude arogant .
Do not go with this insurance .
N  27th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
I too have recently have had a bad experience with real, my car was stolen march 2010 and it took 8 weeks of investigations questions forms filled and treated like a criminal basically only to find out they declined my claim on the basis of myself having a criminal conviction ( non driving related) and they used that to decline my claim stating that it was my fault i didnt disclose this upon obtaining car insurance now tell me how does having a non driving conviction stop you from aquiring car insurance? they were quick to take my money and to continue taking my money for the insurance every month with no car which is still listed as stolen but refuse to pay out? I also had another policy with real which I quickly cancelled as I'm not happy, my mistake was to go with real insurance and sticking to what I knew best and use a reputable insurance company like NRMA, this case is not over as i will fight this to the bitter end, it has left me and my 6 children with no car and no payout to buy another.
N  27th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
Hi Bounce,

I am sorry to hear that you and your family are currently without a car. However, when you bought your insurance from Real Insurance, you were advised of your 'duty of disclosure': that is, you need to be honest when you answer our questions or your claim may be denied.

We asked you if you had any criminal convictions, and you were not honest with us when you answered this question.

Because of this, we denied your claim.

We have received your written complaint and have sent a letter confirming this. You will hear from us regarding the outcome of your complaint shortly.

Regards,
The Real Insurance web team
N  5th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
I am absolutely sick and tired of waiting and wasting my precious time waiting for REAL insurance to answer the phone. Indeed whilst sitting here waiting for my 16 minute wait time, which is now 23 minutes, I have found and registered with another company for my car insurance!!! This happens every time I try to call and I feel this is absolutely unacceptable
N  22nd of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
Hi Real,
I have been a "Real" customer for Home insurance for 5 years now, and have not had any issues, thank you.
But then again, I have had no cause to make a claim, thankfully. You will need to start answering your phones, emails, claims, etc, or I'll will be moving rather than waiting for this to happen to me too.
Thank you.
A  25th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
I was with real insurance for less than a month and i will NEVER go back.
I was given a quote of $400 to put myself as a main driver. When the day came that i was ready to do this i was told the lady on the phone gave me the wrong quote and the real quote was $400 more, a total of $800. After being put through to the office manager she listened to the call when i was first quoted and agreed that the other lady had indeed quoted me $400 but again the actual quote was $400 and (total of $800) and she couldnt do anything to help me and that all the other managers above her would make the same decision that she had, not to honor the quote and that they were too busy to speak to me anyway. She suggested i write a letter and wait 15 days for a reply from someone, but that in the mean time, on top of the money i had already paid i would have to pay the $800 dollars to be covered. After explaining my frustration and the situation they had put me in i asked if i could put the woman on hold so i could collect my thoughts. I was using a headpiece so i put her on mute. I was in the middle of asking my collegue what i should to when i started hearing the manager talking to someone else in the office. She started saying that i need to 'shut up', that i had no idea what i was talking about, that im only 19 and i need to grow up and other salacious things about me. I took her off mute and told her i could hear EVERYTHING she had said and that i wanted to speak to her superior IMMEDIATLEY. I was put through to another lady and again explained my whole situation including the 'conversation' i had overheard. She told me she would call me with a solution.

She called me back the next day saying that in light of everything that had happened, the wrong quote and the overheard conversation, she could give me a small discount but it would still be more then my original quote.

I asked for a refund right away, after the way i was treated and the other things i had heard about real insurance i was not willing to stay with them a moment longer. In the end i was not even given a FULL refund, i ended up losing $100.

I never got a formal apology and it sounded like there were no repercussions for the terrible behaviour of the manager who i dealt with.

I would have taken it further but i didnt feel it was even worth it. Clearly i was never going to get any real help or be given access to anyone who would have taken me seriously. I was treated so poorly and all becuase i am 19. They were COMPLETELY in the wrong and admitted that plenty of times.
Maybe they should have read my policy properly, my dad who is 45 was also on the policy, maybe if he had called he would have been shown a little more respect, but after reading all the bad comments about real insurance, i highly doubt it.
N  25th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
After being put through to the office manager she listened to the call when i was first quoted and agreed that the other lady had indeed quoted me $400 but again the actual quote was $400 more (total of $800)**
A  31st of Aug, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I think REAL insurance should be investigated by the Better Business Bureau. My father-in-law, who is elderly and on an extremely tight fixed budget, was paying REAL insurance for a funeral plan and after a year they more than tripled the monthly cost with no explanation or justification, making it completely unaffordable for him.

In my opinion they scammed him because he would not have started a policy with them in the first place had he known they would increase the rate by such a ridiculous amount after a year. I think they lure people in with a low initial rate and later bump it up figuring that the person will either drop the policy in which case REAL get to keep all that money the customer paid over the year - or the customer just gives in and pays the ridiculous increase because they don't want to lose all the money they already paid. Either way people end up getting ripped off and REAL make a profit out of it. Why are they allowed to get away with this?
A  13th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
I am also going through the same as most of the people who have taken the time to complain about the treatment from the "so called case managers at Real Insurance". I have emailed nearly every day last week for a reply at least to all my emails and phone calls. The ads on Foxtel are really a joke as my claim is now into the third month and in all that time Real have only bothered to reply to two email, they never return my calls and I can only find out how my claim is progressing if I call Real which is shameful. This is all the response that I have had.from Real Insurance since I put forward my claim at the end of August. I have also been on the receiving end of a rude customer service person and when my policy comes up for renewal next year I will NOT renew with Real and all my work colleagues and friends are aware of the treatment I am receiving from Real so the bad vibe will radiate out and hopefully stop potential customer from taking on a policy with Real because they are a Real Joke. Elaine
N  29th of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
Real Pet Insurance, my wife brought a dog and got vet insurance via Real Pet Insurance. Six days short of a month after she had taken out the policy, she took the dog to the Vet and was informed that the dog needed an eye operation costing between $800 to $1200, She duly contacted Real Insurance to make a claim and she received a letter from Real Insurance indicating that because the condition was diagnosed six days short of a month after the policy had been taken out, it was a preexisting condition and they would not cover the operation. This is the behavior of this dirt bag company, I would recommend everyone to avoid them. Anyone who has to advertise as much as they do, has to be dodgy, because no one recommends them.
A  23rd of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
Sadly I have to agree with most these comments. Three months into the claim and I have no repairs carried out, with the damage getting worse. Countless emails have been initiated from my side as well as phone calls. Nothing from their side. They finally contacted one of the two people that provided a quote, my kids could spell better than that in 2nd grade by the way. Not satisfied with the answer (that it was nature that caused the problem) they contacted the trades-person via phone again and supposedly got a different answer to the effect that it was a maintenance issue. The poor tradie was probably severely harassed and had his words twisted. Why wasn't a written explanation that they requested and received not good enough? I am also being addresses as "Hi there", rather than by my name, which really annoys me, as it shows a clear lack of professionalism. Mr Mendes, the Chief Executive Officer for Real Insurance states in a press release that they strive for, I quote:" A continued and intensified drive around truly exceptional customer relations and service." He might want to start by teaching them how to use "spell check" and enrolling them in a course called "Business Etiquette"
A  17th of Sep, 2012 by    +1 Votes
6 years I have being paying House and Contents Insurance. Lots of dollars. Today I went to make a claim for contents that were theived from my house whilst I was in it. I was awake watching tv or playing on my lap top in the Lounge. The Thieves came through my kitchen door and took the opportunity to snatch my handbag and computer satchel. In my sunroom they took, a TV and a few other small electrical goods. REAL will NOT PAY because I can't prove that I owned any of the above. My minor claim would have been less than $1000 with an excess of $300. My integrity was questioned. 1/ I can't prove that I owned these older items because I have no receipts. You must keep receipts for EVERYTHING YOU OWN. (As if!!). 2/ Did I have the alarm on? 3/ Why were my doors not locked? HALLO... Where in their small print does it say that while you are at home, awake and going about your business that you must lock yourself in and set your alarms. My integrity was questioned that I even owned a handbag and wallet, tv, computer sachel, portable grill and a pair of sunglasses. The police did not question my integrity but they did?? They certainly did not mind taking my premiums. I not sure what they were insuring because when I tried to make a claim, they said I could not prove that I owned these items. Since my wallet and credit cards were stolen they will NOT be advised of my new credit card number and therefore they won;t be stealing any more money from me. They are worst than the low down robbers. BE VERY CAREFUL BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE WORST REPUTATION IN THEIR OWN INDUSTRY. I will be taking this up with the Ombudsman. REAL INSURANCE WERE THE LAST PAYMENT FROM MY CREDIT CARD (DD) BEFORE IT WAS STOLEN. I advised them that I was cancelling my policy and they then refused to refund my latest payment (pro rata). I had a win in the end but they then told me it takes 7 days for their bank to clear my DD payment and they would refund me after that. I checked with my bank and my bank told me that that was bollocks. My DD payment always clears in 2 days and they had my money. REAL ARE ROBBERS AND THEY WILL TRY TO DRAIN AS MUCH OUT OF YOU AS THEY CAN and give you nothing in return other than parroting their rights. Not yours. How dare they be the judge and jury when the real law (police) can verify everything that happened to me in my house. I can only be glad that the thieves did not have the opportunity to steal items of higher value and that I came out safe and sound. The only knife if my back is the one REAL INSURANCE stuck in. BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE. Sharon C. NSW
A  17th of Sep, 2012 by    +1 Votes
Dear Magda,
Real Insurance
I would like to respond to your comment at the top of the page. There is NO COMPLAINT FORM on the link that you say that we should contact you on. Dodgy as usual. I won't be wasting my time hanging on the phone to speak to you or track you down. You should hang up your morals with REAL INSURANCE and go and work for a reputatable Insurance company.
SHARON C
A  19th of Dec, 2012 by    0 Votes
I had a guy pull out of parking spot from a main road and hit me as I went past. He would only give me his business card. When I went to the cops they told me that this all they needed to provide. Name and phone number nothing else.

The policy states that a home address is required to avoid excess costs. The police do not have the address of the person apparently. It's a minor matter and they won't help further.

On top of that after 3 months waiting they now tell me that my personalised plates had not been added to my policy after I bought my new car and swapped the plates. The claims officer even went so far as to tell me bluntly that I obviously never contacted them to adjust this. Which is absolute crap. They are just wiggling out of my claim to force me to pay the $800 excess.

I totally agree about these guys being con men. I will be changing companies and putting in as many bad reviews in every location I can find on the internet. I may just create a few dozen sites and SEO the hell out of them so that the entire world can bare witness to how dodgy these people are and what a joke this is.

I just can't believe this is happening. I think at the end of the day I will pay $800 and I think I am going to make it my lifes mission to get the word out as much as I can. I work for an SEO company and I am sure I can spend my free time enhancing my SEO on some of my new dedicated websites aimed at how I have been handled and treated by these guys.

I am absolutely disgusted and angered by what has happened. Now I know why they are so cheap. I barely drive and figured it would be a good deal to go with a cheaper insurer based on KM's. What a joke. Worst thing is if the police would provide the guys address this may be resolved. But I am thinking they are lying and are just trying to get out of this. The fact they are accusing me of not contacting them to update my plates is a joke. I took the policy out on the premise that it would be an issue and I contacted them as soon as I got my personalised plates on my car.

Very strange that after 3 months of waiting they pull this card about my plates. Why didn't they notice this when I made my claim, or during the 3 month wait.

Disgruntled Dave
N  26th of Dec, 2012 by    +1 Votes
Do not go with real insurance for anything. They are not helpful at all and just take your money and tell you to piss off.
A  25th of Jan, 2013 by    +2 Votes
I am so appalled at being inundated by all the Real insurance Ads on TV, they are EVERYWHERE and run constantly.
Everyone I speak to says the same thing, they are SICK of all the Real Insurance Ads, either for Funeral, Home/Car or Pet insurance, WAKE UP REAL INSURANCE, you are LOSING business with people boycotting your product due to saturation.

NO ONE wants to see Ads for Funeral plans on TV every 5 minutes on EVERY channel... Just STOP for the love of God... STOP!
A  2nd of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
Real Insurance are ###s. 3 months into a claim and they wont return any calls or respond to any emails, damaged roof is leaking more than ever after every additional storm it has to suffer through while they mess around doing god knows what. They clearly don't care about their customers needs just snatching their money and doing a runner. Con Artists. Ombudsman here we come...what does it take to get these ###wits to call you back - no customer service ethos at all. My poor Mum's phone bill has skyrocketed from all the time on hold she has been spending only to be told by the operator when they pick up that the current wait time is 8 minutes when she's been on hold for 20! NICE!
A  15th of Apr, 2013 by    +1 Votes
Do not do it to yourself Real insurance are ###. On the 17 /09 /2010 My poor wife came out of the shop to find that some drunken ### had smashed his 4x4 into her parked car pushing it into 3 other parked cars next to hers.The police came and found the 4x4 driver at fault, so we organised the towing to a smash repair shop and it was quoted as a write off that week. Real insurance did not send an assessor out at all but instead choose to find anyway they could not to pay, the whole experience was horrible we had to have the car towed home while Real stuffed around as the panel shop had no room to store it. Real ins cancelled our claim and policy because a few years ago my wife was in a hire car when a kangaroo jumped out in front of her, she thought that this was a not at fault claim on her behalf or relevant to disclose. Real insurance used this reason as a loop hole to get out of paying. We were stuck without a family car for three months over the school and Christmas holidays while we fought with them, the customer service was so bad they are just down right rude and arrogant. In the end we gave all the information to a lawyer who sorted it all out at a cost of $4500 TO US. Real insurance finally sent there assessor out in late December to our house. Over 3 months later from the date of the accident on the 30 December 2010 we were payed out, and they made it clear that the wrecked car is now there property. To this day 15th April 2013 yes 2013 after many attempts have been made to contact them, that wrecked car is still sitting at our house. The amount of stress and time that was wasted with Real insurance does in no way make up for there so called cheap insurance.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree