Reachlocal Marketing / terrible experience

1 P.O. Box 6005, New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-205-9343

I received a letter from Reachlocal Marketing regarding being selected to be a Mystery Shopper. I had put my name in to be a mystery shopper at a web site a long time ago and thought that they finally picked me. They sent me a check for $2, 945 (bank check that looked very real). They wanted me to go to Wal-Mart, buy some items which I can keep, send the bulk of the money to someone identified in the letter thru Money Gram or Western Union and then fill out a form regarding both transactions. I called the number on the letter and spoke to someone who gave me further instructions and had me fill out an acceptance form. It all sounded real but too good to be true. I did google Reachlocal Marketing and found a company call Reachlocal who sounded good - nothing bad appeared. I then deposited the check in my bank account. Something bothered me and I did some more checking and found complaintsboard. This time I searched for mystery shopper and found lots of these scams using a different company name but the same requests. I called my bank and they got a hold of the fraud department who will put a hold on the check. They told me that they have been seeing this type of thing for the last month and the check will bounce. What this company wants you to do is not wait for the check to clear but immediately follow the instructions on the letter sending your money to them which you will never get back. Although I am writing this before the check bounces I wanted to alert others that they use different names but use the same scam. Anything that looks and sounds too good to be true is just that - too good to be true!

Va

Comments

• Da
      29th of Oct, 2008

ReachLocal, Inc. (www.reachlocal.com) is headquartered in Woodland Hills, California and is in NO WAY affiliated with the above-mentioned Reachlocal Marketing.

ReachLocal, Inc. is a provider of local online marketing solutions for small- and medium-sized businesses in more than 25 cities around the world and does not provide, nor is associated with any entity that provides, “mystery shopping” services.

If you have any questions regarding this, please call David Glaubke, ReachLocal's Director of Corporate Communications, (818) 274-0260 x1136

• Se
      9th of Dec, 2009

What about the other 20+ complaints?!

• Se
      9th of Dec, 2009

David, OK but what about the other 20+ complaints about the service through ReachLocal?

• La
      22nd of May, 2011
    Reachlocal Marketing - Fraud
    ReachLocal Marketing

ReachLocal Marketing wrote me a letter stating that I was selected to participate in becoming a mystery shopper. The wanted me to deposit the check in my bank account when the check clear wanted me to mystery shop with some and western union or moneygram money to someone . But I went to cash the check and it was a bad check.