Reach Local / excessive charges, no customer service

1 Boston, MA, United States Review updated:

Company promises advertising on Search Engines, as stated on their website:
"Technology To maximize the value of each advertising dollar, our patent-pending technology intelligently selects media, then tracks, optimizes and reports results for local advertising campaigns".

YET DELIVERS - far less.

Company does not follow advertisers written intstructions as to search phrases to use, charges excessive rates for the ads, fails to provide minimal customer support.

Company also attempts to charge for campaigns beyond the contract terms and fails to deliver minimal customer service.

Representatives are argumentative, obnoxious and refuse to admit to well documented mistakes and over charges.

Comments

• Do
      12th of Jun, 2009

STAY AWAY FROM REACH LOCAL!!

• Sn
      14th of Jun, 2009

Reach Local have recently moved to the UK, and one of my client halted a very successful Adword campaign they had set up to go with Reach Local, my client (a cosmetic dentist) was getting between 5 and 10 enquiries per day with a spend of £1500, Reach Local advised a £2000 spend and in one month we have had a total of 8 enquiries, they ignored the campaign we had set up geared towards a specific aspect of cosmetic dentistry and launched a campaign based around the whole industry..

We have now halted dealings with them and are likely to end of taking them to court for making false claims.

I am an experienced organic SEO expert with 8 years organic and Adword experience and would advise anyone to avoid these 'cowboys' like the plague.

• Sc
      9th of Jul, 2009

they are a total scam operation! you can do more business on google adwords on a $50 a mo. budget than what they can do on a $2000 a mo. reach local budget. they raise the rates per click because their reps get a commision off of each click and their latest greatest state of the art software that takes months to figure out the best keywords for your campaign doesnt work either. they will be in court soon!

• Pa
      25th of Jul, 2009

One reason your campaign is ignored is because the same person that sells the campiagn also manages the compaign. The representive is required to spend 60% of his time selling, and 40% of his time managing his campaigns. That's after a 1 week crash course to get google ad word certified. Reach Local also does not have a set fee to manage your campaign, instead they inflate the cost per click to build in profit for the company. You end up paying alot more per phone call because of the call tracking system they have. Most times they never release the ad word list to client either so the client can see what the real cost per click is.

• Sc
      23rd of Aug, 2009

isnt recording a phone call illegal if the caller isnt informed before hand?

• Al
      8th of Sep, 2009

I agree with this, I am a reachlocal advertiser and it was working ok for me, until untried calling to change some of my keywords. I have called 2 dozen times with no response. The funny part is that my rep was a really good friend of ours too, but I have tried emails calls Even complained 2 weeks ago, threatening to quit the ad. Still no call back and my contract has expired. I am all about customer service with my company and this is not acceptable with me.
    I hope this helps. Alex C Dallas tx

• Ac
      16th of Oct, 2009

The calls are recorded after an annoucement that comes on and says they will be. The training is 5 weeks long with weekly monday 2 hour training after that, company wide. You can see the adwords used for your account anytime 24/7 through your private website. It takes 2 days to make changes. The campaign is optimized twice a day based on actions (calls, emails...)
    The deal is sealed, 2 weeks later the rep comes back out and reviews how to access your reports and discusses your results. 6 weeks after that, the rep comes back out with the Reach IT guy and a review on optimization and success is conducted. Frankly, I have been in this industry for many, many years and have never seen the tracking capability, the time alloted to a sales rep to service and account, or the training and support these reps receive. I am very impressed.

• Pr
      22nd of Nov, 2009

+++Here is how it works+++++++++++ReachLocal will proxy your domain name and replace your natural search engine listings with their own subdomain like this: www.yourportionofDomain.ReachLocal.com. Now, you are paying per click for your own listings. If you cancel, they will remove the subdomain and you have lost your search engine listings, especially in Yahoo. Good luck getting back in Search Engines.++++++++++ There are more things they do with Google Adwrods set up and I'm sure someone who used to work for them will come out and expose them. ++++++++There is now another company that runs a very clever SCAM...
    It's www.YEXT.com AKA the next yellow pages. Here is how it works with them. They target companies who have been in business for years especially. They let you track phone calls you can listen to online. About $4+ per call. What they do is create a page with your business name, their own VOIP phone number that forwards to your line. So, if you have regular customers who may not remember your domain name, who will try to look you up by your business name, now you have YEXT ad competing with you for your own name. Now, a customer calls to book and writes down their phone number, not yours... $4.00, customer calls back to make sure you are going to pick them up on time, +$4.00, customer calls back to thank you, +$4.00 ETC, ETC, ETC. You get the picture. If you cancel with YEXT, your customers now don't have your phone number. Those who wrote down YEXT forwarding number are trying to reach you to change a reservation can't get hold of you. All kinds of problems follow. +++++++++Suggestions:
    -----Pay only monthly flat based fee to those you find ranking in top 20 in search results for your keywords, get your own Google Adwords, see who is managing your competitors website (usually a credit at the bottom of a site) use them. Any SEO company that charges Ongoing Optimization Monthly Fee is a SCAM. Unless you have an extensively ever changing 100's of pages websites you don't need ongoing SEO fees. If you do, make your research on the company. In conclusion: ReachLocal Sucks, YEXT, SUCKS, YellowPages Suck, SuperPages Suck.
    +++++++YellowPages SCAM in the nutshell:
    1 Yr contract, up to $1600+ a mo.
    They ask for your Social Security Number, you ask why, they say to check your credit.
    You give it to them. You're screwed. Why did they need your SS#? So they could use it to sell your account to a collection agency for $0.50 - $0.60 cents on the dollar after 2 months that you realized you got nothing for it.
    They already paid the commissions to the sales person, and they will still make several thousand $ from your account. What you are facing is a harassment from Collection agency for the next 2 months, then they will report you to Credit Reporting Agencies, ruing your credit score.
    Now, you cannot refinance your mortgage, or get a new loan for your business, etc.
    +++++++SuperPages SCAM in the nutshell:
    Offer of a free website for a flat fee for advertising.
    Flat fee is not a flat monthly fee, it is a flat fee to replenish your account every time you have reached that limit. Ex: $500 flat fee, can be charged 4 - 7 time in a month as soon as your account has reached $500 worth of clicks. Try getting in touch with a billing department... Good luck! They fee will continue to accumulate.
    They only recourse is to call your bank and cancel your card and change your phone number.
    ++++++++Guaranteed top placement for 4 of your targeted keywords in Google Sponsored links for a flat monthly fee SCAM in the nutshell:
    Overpriced ad campaign, you never get the amount of clicks worth the money. Keywords are none competitive. Ads setting set to a limited 15 miles radius.

• Pi
      2nd of Dec, 2009

I JUST FINISHED REPORTING YEXT TO THE BBB..They are rediculious. The customer service should be shot. They over charge and stole over 500.00 from our company. They closed our account and did not tell us why. When I called back they had closed the account because WE WENT BEHIND THEIR BACKS and reported their behavior to the BBB. They never answer with customer service and you can leave as many voicemails or emails you will never get an answer. They only thing to get them to move an inch is to report them, which just makes the charge you extra and say that they "resolved" the issue. I will report on them again since I just checked my account and I have been recharged more than my amount and have all the paper documentation.

• Co
      14th of Jan, 2010

From my experience with Yext, the complaint above is incorrect. They only charge for the first time the customer calls you, and if that customer calls you more than once, they automatically flag it as not billable. I have had a good experience with them, and mostly because I stay on top of my calls and my account. If you don't monitor it, than you will have a problem. You don't turn on the faucet to fill a pot and not watch it!

• Ve
      23rd of Mar, 2010

YEXT uses high pressure sales tactics to get you to sign up. I ended up signing up. I was out and about and not near a computer to check them out while they were talking so I thought it sounded ok and went for it. I am not in need of more jobs but the reason I wanted to be a part of them is because of the exclusivity for the 50 mile radius I would have. Plus I like to be into the next thing because I don’t want to be left behind in the new types of advertising that come out. But then when I did finally get near a computer to check them out I came across this page and a couple of others. So I said the best way to see if they are a reputable company or not was to call them back and test them.
    So I did by starting off with I would like to end my account. The account manager on the phone would not end my account at all. It was like he pretended not to hear that part. He kept saying he wanted to know why and I told him that I didn’t need their services. So he asked again why I wanted to end my account. So I explained in more detail that I have enough jobs and decided not to do this YEXT thing. So he says why do you want to end your account so I said I just told you. So he repeats himself again. This went on for about 20 minutes the same exact stuff and question. Why do you want to end your account. This guy would not end my account for nothing. He was rude and belligerent. All in all a half hour goes by and I finally just said I would report them on the internet and not to worry Ill cancel my credit card and get another. I feel that no matter how long I stayed on the phone with them My account would have never have been ended. All in All that is probably a little over an hour of my life that I can never have back. They stole that hour of my life from me so Ill repay in kind by posting this complaint in as many places as I can find. One more thing, I hate typing so for me to sit here and type all of this means that I am really ticked off. I don’t lodge complaints unless I feel extremely strong about something so by me typing this it means I think this company is definitely crap. YEXT I feel for you. You're going to rip off the wrong people one of these days and its going to get ugly for you!!!

• Bd
      13th of Apr, 2010

Reachlocal is a very poor company that claims to look out for their customers.
    But the truth is they only care about selling to new accounts.
    The company looses more business out the back door then they gain.
    I have worked for them and it was probably the worst company I ever worked for.
    Shame on them and their CEO.
    They are a disgrace to the industry!
    If they call you RUN FOR COVER!

• Er
      19th of Apr, 2010
    Reach Local - No one is perfect
    Reach local
    Georgia

IVE NOTICED THAT EVERYONE COMPLAINS ABOUT EVERYTHING!

Get a life people- you cant please everyone 100% of the time.

• Er
      19th of Apr, 2010

I am reading many of these complaints and a majority of them are from the same people over and over again- competitors, or past employees. I own my own web marketing company and have used reachlocals PPC services for about 4 years- I signed on as an authorized seller back before they had a local sales force. Out of all the companies I have used, reachlocal has brought my customers the best results.

Its a shame then everyone believes what they read.

I looked up Superpages, at&t, and yodle-- and they all have awful reviews. What people need to realize it is impossible for a company to please 100% of their clientel. Its a shame that people have to go on these "complaint boards, " and try to ruin a companies reputation.

You have to ask yourself- ReachLocal is such a bad company...
    Why do they have an 85% campaign renewal rate?
    Why are they getting ready to go Public?
    Why do they have an A+ with the BBB?
    Why were they just named #1 Fastest Growing Technology Company in N America?

1st off- Reachlocal does nothing with SEO. Its SEM.
    SEO and SEM are completely 2 different worlds. In no way does SEM(ppc) affect your SEO (organic/natural listings) on the page. You can contact Google directly and they will say the same thing.

-3rdly Reachlocal has over 300, 000+ campaigns running right now. You simply cannot please 100 % of your client base. For any business owner- you know this is IMPOSSIBLE. As Im sure you have experienced-- you always have that customer here that will complain and you can't please NO matter what you do.

4th - If your pay-per-click campaigns isn't getting the call volume you would like- WHY don't you take a look at your website. If you have an AWFUL website- why is anyone going to call you??? You cant Blame that on ReachLocal.

5th- People talk about exoborant fees. They are a business- you are paying them for a service so you dont have to deal with the headaches of trying to set up an internet marketing campaign across 5 different search engines- then try to manage them all! The mark up is minimal.

Do you own your business to run a profit? How much did you make off of replacing that garage door spring or the bathroom remodel you did last week?

6th you have the ability to sit down with your rep and monitor your keywords at anytime. Are they going to disclose their entire keyword list? No, that is all of their hardwork. Why would they hand the entire keyword list over to you?

If all the keywords are correct and you are getting visits to your website-- HOw can you blame Reach local for customers not calling you????? Fix YOur website!

I don't advise The GOOGLE adwords EXPERT to switch to reach local. You know your business better than anyone.
    But if you are not a Complete expert with setting up an online presence on Google, yahoo, bing Etc then ReachLocal is the place to be. You could be wasting thousands of dollars if youre running campaigns on your own.
    They are an adwords Qualified company- they have been through the google testing.

Nothing is 100% perfect, but if you have a great product and a great website- ReachLocal will do an amazing job for your company.

Reachlocal is not a perfect fit for every single business- the business model does not work for 100% of all businesses- but 85- 95% of the campaigns run very well.

If someone is Upset they run and tell 20 people. If they are happy, you'd be lucky if they told 1.
    This is the sad thing - WHERE IS THE PAGE FOR THE 10'S OF 1, 000'S OF HAPPY CUSTOMERS???!?

• Ad
      21st of Apr, 2010

I believe they have good customer service and did not have any kind of high pressure sales. They were very nice and explained everything to detail.

What I do have a problem with is that the customer leads are 99% junk calls. I feel as if they have people going down call lists to rack up the calls. If this service was $5 per call I would feel that it is more worth the cost. But the majority of the calls are $20 and it is nothing but people asking just the right questions to flag as a "qualified call". We are very good at getting customers to come in, but our of 60 yext calls we only had 2 come in (and those were 2 oil changes).

I would stay away from this company. Unless they change it to $5 per call its not worth it.

4th of May, 2010

Interesting that you keep defending reachlocal huh reachlocal employee.

17th of Jun, 2010

I don't have much time to write what i would like to write but to be brief here i know for a fact that adwords is about the worst service if you want to call it that, i have ever used. They should provide some kind of help for all the money that they steal from customers. I have been charged for invalid clicks i tried to get help for weeks i wasted so much of my time i wont even say cause it's imbarasing, its impossible to get any help!, They must like ripping people off too in order to continue such a bad customer support program for adword service. I am sick of trying to read their lousy and pathetic help forums and other peoples problems trying to see if i can solve my own! If they want to continue to rip people off don't you think they should at least give a little rip off support!!!

• Hi
      4th of Aug, 2010

I used them for a 4 month contract in Sacramento at the end of '09. My company was promised a strong lead base and exposure for HVAC calls. I was continually harrassed by the sales agent for my monthly dues (up to 5 calls a day) and hardly recieved any leads. I paid $1200 a month and basically didn't get anything in return. The admitted that their campaign did not work well with my company and suggested that I might get a credit in form of more internet time but that never happened. I strongly advise people to invest their marketing money in another company beacuse Reach Local is a complete scam!!

• Ju
      26th of Aug, 2010

I don’t know anything about yext and I the only think I know about yodle is that they “stole” the business model from reachlocal but not the “technology”. I am, however, confused how anyone could say that ReachLocal is a scam. I’d be interested in what parts people think would make it a scam.

Reachlocal offers a scalable, measurable, internet marketing solution.
    Any program with ReachLocal is 100% transparent. Advertisers have the ability to see exactly how their ad dollars are working and exactly what their ad dollar is doing for them. They offer a ppc campaign that optimized, they allocate the budget to the keywords that are converting to calls, emails or web events, they also offer display advertising with remarketing capabilities and “coming soon” is a social product that IS GOING TO BLOW YOU AWAY!

Here’s what I think. I think there are a lot of small PPC companies that are loosing their best customers to companies like ReachLocal and they are scared because they don’t have the technology, the man power or the capabilities that ReachLocal has. I believe that these are the people who are post negative things about ReachLocal online. My suggestion to any advertiser out there is to do your own research. Call ReachLocal and have them come out and show you what they do. Remember is 100% transparent. You know exactly what you will be getting. Call Yodle and have them show you what they do. Don’t read bad reviews and automatically think that it’s the truth. ReachLocal was the 39th fastest growing technology company in 2009. They won the fastest growing technology company from deloitte in 2009. The only other internet company to win this award was google in 2004. I doubt they are a scam. Do you homework and I assure you that you will find that maybe some of the companies out there are scams or guessing but ReachLocal is NOT one of them.

Thanks!

Happy Thursday.

Oh, in case you want to research them.

• Un
      4th of Jan, 2011
    Reach Local - CREDIT CARD ABUSE
    LIGHTING UNLIMITED
    California

WHEN ASKED TO END OUR CONTRACT THEY CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD FOR AN ADDITIONAL MONTH
    OF THEIR SERVICE.
    BEWARE WHEN ALLOWING THESE PEOPLE HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR AUTOMATIC MONTHLY RENEWALS!