Radio Shack / their service center destroyed my turntable

On March 6, 2008, I took my Lafayette professional grade turntable to the Radio Shack store in Casa Grande, AZ, and paid a $20 deposit. I later received a phone call from the service center in Murray, Utah, and was informed the phono cartridge replacement would be about $51, in addition to the deposit.

Some time later, I got a call from the store in Casa Grande that my turntable was back. I went in to pick it up and almost had a heart attack. My $200 to $300 turntable was a jigsaw puzzle. The plastic dust cover was broken, the counterweight had been removed from the tone arm, the turntable itself was off of the base, and the tone arm was under the turntable.

The manager of the store told me how he had packed the turntable for transport to the shop and it was reasonable. The manager of the shop claimed the unit had arrived damaged. Not from the way it was packed, it wasn't. The manager of the store was fantastic, he did everything he could to try to get the unit to work, but it would not play a record.

It was sent back to Murray, UT, and here it is, April 21, and still no word from the shop. All the turntable needed was a phono cartridge, and I trusted Radio Shack, as there is no other electronics service shops in our county. A phono cartridge and a foot. They said they could not find a foot, but I said that is no biggie, I have a few ways I can go on that. How hard is it to install a phono cartridge? Is it necessary to tear a machine to pieces to replaces a cartridge? I think not.

Va

Comments

• Xs
      5th of Dec, 2008

Correct me if im wrong... You claim the service center which you sent your broken turntable to (to be serviced) broke your already broken device...

Crack is bad mmmkay

• Po
      29th of Dec, 2010

Actually that has happened to one of my customers before. I sent off a camera that was in good condition. Just needed the lens cleaned out because it wouldn't stay open long enough to take pictures...it came back to the store. I called the customer and we opened it up together and saw that the screen was completely cracked. We contacted the repair center and was told to take one off of inventory and replace it with hers. That's how we fix things in my region.

• Ro
      19th of May, 2011

I just sent a hand held ham radio to Ft. Worth repair center today. Will surely let everyone in the world know how the service was. It just needs a battery replaced. Ron in Tucson