Posted:

Awful company

4.65
publishamerica.com
In 2007 I contacted publish america with regard to publishing my poetry books. After looking one book over they sent me a 7 year contract that would automatically renew for another 7 years. I couldn't alter the contract to my specifications so I emaiiled them informing them that after the 1st 7 years the contract is to end. When proofreading got a hold of my book it took 2 months for them to proofread it. they said they weren't accepting any new manuscripts, but they sent the new manuscript that I sent them, back to me for proofreading; and of course they couldn't find the errors that I suggested. They then forwarded my book to another department and they sent me a copy of the cover which the name was spelled wrong. My voice is unique and they tried to proofread my book changing the name from Black As I Ever Was keeping' It real Rapoetry to Black As I ever was Keeping it real rapoetry. They said it was too late to change it and I said forget it. 2 months later December 2008 I get 2 final proofs of my book. I look it over and there are several formatting errors. They also changed some of the words in my poems which altered the meaning of my poems. I emailed one department after another and yet nobody is taking responsibility, they can't tell me whether they've actually received the Email or not, wouldn't tell me where corporate was, and they want me to order 50 copies of my book before they can make any changes. I said again, forget it. I plan on suing them for defamation of character and false advertising. They should be stopped immediately. They take aspiring writers and change and alter their works which is not in the contract. Then they want you to spend money on buying your own book from them, that is not correct.
Complaint comments Comments (69)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Books

Comments

A  8th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
I agree with all of you. I was very disappointed in the work that Publishamerica did to my book. I am so ashamed of my book I don't even tell people how they can buy it. Publishamerica send me all kind of emails on how to purchase my own book, but when it comes time to file a complaint knowone is around to take it. When my book was getting ready to come out I told everyone my family, friends, and co workers that they can buy the book at all the major bookstores, because this is what publishamerica had told me. So when the book came out everyone was going to the bookstores to get my book, and to all of our surprise the book was not there. I contacted publishamerica, and after a week they got back to me, and told me I have to get my own book into the book stores and that was not on their website, or contract, you can imagine my embarrassment. I hate the day that I ever sent them my book.They are not the type of people you want to do business with. I have requested numerous of times to be let go from my contract, because I didn't write my book just to make publishamerica rich. Please anyone out there who is looking to publish a book, please look pass the one that will trick and scam you, I had to learn the hard way. I never got to have a book signing because publishamerica was charging to much for the shipping. One local bookstore told me that they were trying to find anther vendor to order the books from because publishamerica is a rip off. Every author dreams of having a book signing publishamerica crushed all of my dreams, and made me look like a liar to my friends, and family when they were the liars.
A  9th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
I had a fair bit of demand from my book from book in another country none of the stores were able to order my book. When I got home I tried to order my book from every book store that I can think of. None of these stores have been able to order my book. The problem is that even if they do find your book on the system (Which is unlikely) and place a back order. The order is never actually honoured because Publish America is having distribution problems which have been happening sense 2005. (Time of writing is 2010)

I do not know how things are outside of the UK but in England when I signed the contract Publish America told me that my book will be available to order from stores anywhere in the world. – This is not true and because they knew this at the time of signing the contract is not worth the paper it’s written on under English law.
A  9th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
I almost sent them my manuscript when an author on Facebook stopped me just in time. I've read all the information she gave me and I realized just how close I was to losing my book to them. This book is my baby and I refuse to let anyone hurt it in any way. Something should be done about these con artists! They can't just feed of of our dreams like leeches. Seriously, they need to be stopped.
A  28th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
Darn lost my comment I just submittted. Hope this s not a repeat but I will do it again for the good of all aspiring writers.

I love to write and can't seem to get enough. My head is constantly spinning with ideas even after I jot one down another one pops up. Yet when I start thinking about Publishamerica and I get steamed. Toot Toot!

I have similar stories. One is about the embarrasssing moment I told my family and friends to buy my book at major bookstores and ten BAM no book available on the shelves. My book also had been changed, the text. Its a childrens rhyming book. They changed some of the words and no longer rhymes. Threw off the rhythm completely. Now I dont want anyone to order it.

Have a tip for all of you:
Do a search for your book. Delete any mention or request it to be deleted. Delete any mention of your book on any personal webpages or sites. Ignore their emails. Tell everyone your book sucks or something so they dont order it or pretend it dont exist and you are just starting out. The only thing you wont be able to do is keep Publishamerica from placing your book in search engines. Its okay because their efforts to create links on search engines is the bare bare bare minimum.

After a year of no activity of my book Publishamerica offered my contract back on their own O.R.

I'm not saying that is because of my zero efforts to talk about my book or they grew a conscious.

Why should I help them help themselves?!

They knew they sold my book and gave me no royalties on it except in the beginning of my contract. I have had friends and family call me out of the blue telling me they bought my book or a friend did. I even had a friend from Alaska that told me they walked into a book store (not looking for anything in particular) and bam my book was right in front of them. I waited to get a check and got a big fat zero. I am gathering receipts from family members and friends to prove their break in contract.
N  18th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
I want to get involved in a case against Publish America can you help me???
A  26th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
PublishAmerica (PA) is a scam. They pretend to be a commercial publisher, but the company's business model is to sell books to its own authors, not to the general public. The lack of distribution, marketing, and publicity means the author is on his own in trying to sell books, and PA's ridiculous prices, poor quality, and bad reputation hamstring the author's efforts to do so. My own story of my experience with PA is on the PublishAmerica page of my web site, ChristianityForThinkers.com. I have included copies of actual documents, including many emails from PA, so you don't simply have to take my word that they are a scam. Read it for yourself.
N  9th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
Count me in on the class action suit when it happens
N  18th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes

Publish America - Theft
Maryland
publishamerica.com

This company had 14 of my books for 2 years and claimed I sold 0 amount. I know I sold many. I did not receive even one royalty check from them and they are still selling my books.
N  22nd of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
I was just getting ready to publish a book through them because I have a friend in my area who sold one through them. She said she loved them, the only thing is she only made 9% off of the book sells. So if her book sold for 15.00$ she only got a dollar maybe?
I want someone that will truly consider my book, and not charge me and arm and leg and diffiantly not rip me off... Does anyone have any suggestions? My book is almost ready for publishing. I am just wanting to make sure I am not getting scamed. Thankfully they haven't called me back. I am not sure I want to settle for 9%. When they are getting the other 81%
A  22nd of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
You do not want to publish through PublishAmerica. If you are looking for a publisher, go to the library or the book store, find books similar to yours, and then note the publisher(s). You can also check out Preditors and Editors. It's a web site that has a lot of information on publishers, good and bad. And try AbsoluteWrite.com--there's a lot of information there by and for writers (many of whom have been published).
A  21st of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
I, too, am a victim of their lies. They published my book in March of 2009. After sending me an email stating they had sold ZERO books, after my first six months, I complained. It was only then that I received a check from them for $170. I have not seen a check since. We need to compile a list of us that are experiencing this rip-off, pool our monies together, and take legal action. Please feel free to contact me captmark435@atlanticbb.net
A  21st of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
Was that check really for $170.00, or merely $1.70. If you really got a check for $170.00, consider yourself unbelievably fortunate--unless of course that was for books you bought yourself. As for legal action, I considered that once, but it is not without difficulties, including: (1) the arbitration clause in your contract with PublishAmerica, which requires that any dispute be taken to arbitration rather than to court; and (2) any lawsuit, even a class action, is likely to be costly, because lawyers are unlikely to take a case like that on a contingency fee basis. I decided not to throw good money after bad.
N  8th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I hae been a victim of publishamerica I wrote the book janet's silent prayers which is my own life story. they have not send me one dime and my book is selling. They got somebody else picture on my book. They did not correct my writing in it. I ask them to take my book off their site they told me they would not. I have been sheaching for a lawyer for a while now. I am very upset with these people because it seem like they stolen somthing from me. My book have been republish on another site with my picture on it. My name is janet Bond what can I do abut this.
N  8th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
A lawyer in Baltimore is formulating a case against them and is excited about it. It won't hurt to call him. Since they are probably monitoring this blog, contact me via email for the details. We're going to stop this. It's illegal.
captmark435@atlanticbb.net
N  25th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I too, am one of the tens of thousands of people ripped off of their work of writing a book. It took me a long time to write my book only to have it stolen by Publish America. "We are a traditional publishing firm" was their selling pitch. There is nothing traditional about them. You have to do your own proof reading and even then they won't make the necessary corrections; besides they only give you 48 hours to complete the proof reading. "You won't have to spend one penny out of your own pocket"; another of their famous quotes except if you want your book sold; you HAVE to buy it and resale it yourself. My book started out selling at $29.95 plus $8.95 s&h. It's not worth $4.95. The paper is cheap there are thousands of mistakes and it looks like they printed it in someone's garage.I signed my contract in March of 2009 thanks to family and friends I sold 15 copies of my book; but according to their records not one of my books has been sold . I sent them copies of the receipts showing the sales and have never received an answer from them. I don't have the money to hire an attorney to fight them so this is my only recourse is to try and save some one the heartache that I have been put through. It seems to me if they aren't making any money off my book they would be willing to nullify my contract and return my book to me. I receive at least five e-mails a week wanting me to purchase so many books for another one of their scams. At least I'm smart enough not to have fallen for this. If I had been told they were a POD (publish on demand) publisher; I would never have signed the contract. And as I have notified them several times; I never even received my $1.00 signing check. If I had the money I would find an attorney to take on a class action suit for all the authors who have been ripped off and sue them out of business. I have been smart enough to save every e-mail they have sent me. At this point I don't want money from them; I just want them to nullify the contract and release my book back to me.
A  16th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
It is appalling that Publish America is allowed to remain in business. I have experienced many of the same situations as noted above by other authors, and filed numerous compliants with several state agencies and government officials about this company that continues to cheat authors. I would very much like to join a class-action lawsuit. Please contact me at kradeff1@msn.com.
Thanks,
Kathryn Radeff
A  17th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
Kathryn, please contact Jan Berlage, attorney at law at the following number. He is formulating a couple of lawsuits.
410-752-1261
N  26th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
Class action Law Suit is taking place against Publish America. If you are a victim of Publish America and their scam contact 410-752-1261 they are very interested in helping the Authors of this crime that has taken place against them. Attorney Jan Berlage will be handling this case. Don't hesitate the sooner the better.
N  4th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Please read my article regarding prosecuting Publish America and/or any other fraudulant publisher. The article contains all the necessary contact information for filing formal complaints against their company and any other company in regards to Falsifying Documentation. In the article you will find the contact information for the Department of Justice, the IRS and the BBB. Please make sure that you have all evidence of their wrongdoing ready to submit to the DOJ.gov.

W. K. Hayes
A  4th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
If you have receipts showing that you did indeed sell your books through Publish America and have received a royalty statements saying that you have had no sales, please read my article as it contains the information for prosectuing Publish America and other publishers for Falsifying Documantation which is a criminal offence. You can find the following information in my artcile for prosecuting them.

W. K. Hayes