[Resolved] Pro Oil Change / rip off

1 Canada Review updated:

Sent my wife to get routine oil change on her vehicle. She returned home approx 20 minutes later and was getting ready to take my vehicle for same. I mentioned that service was quick and asked about the cost. She replied $178.00

I asked to see the bill and realized that she had agreed to an Engine Flush ($32), replacement air filter ($34) and cabin air filter ($50) - all unnecessary in my opinion. Upon further inspection of the bill, I noted that they had identified the SUV with the wrong model and installed the wrong air filter (unable to close the filter housing because it didn't fit properly)

I returned to the business and requested an explanation and to see the replaced parts where I was told by the Manager that they were in the garbage and I would have to dig thru and find it myself if I wanted to see it.

After listening to the manager try to defend the excess charges by telling me that my wife had agreed, he finally acknowledged that the air filter was the wrong one, and that the engine flush and cabin air filter were not necessary.

A partial refund was issued for the overcharges after enduring his rude and obnoxious behaviour for the better part of one hour.

Beware - after speaking to others with similar experiences at this establishment, it appears to me that this business routinely attempts to perform unnecessary services and takes advantage of unwary consumers.

• Resolution statement

"Pro Oil Change" customer care service did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the client have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and it's services are concerned.

Ri

Comments

• Do
      10th of Jan, 2010

please let us know which location/area this store is so we don't go there.

I have had similar experience with Active Green and Ross at Donmills/Steeles area in Torono

• Ro
      1st of May, 2010

next time, tell your wife not to authorize any additional services. The whole headache could have been avoided. w

• Dd
      5th of Dec, 2010

I had a great experince in strathroy they reset my check engin light for free and the top ups were free no nickl and dime like Jeffy Lube it may be a little mors expencive but the service speaks for it's self

13th of Jan, 2011

I had the same problem at the milton store. Would advise anybody thinking of having there oil change done at any pro oil change to think again. Biggest rip off ever

12th of Feb, 2011

Greatest service ever! i went in for oil change left with a oil change took 12 minutes in the Burlington location, the boys know how to do it there, fast and friendly,

Feb 7 -11

gained a repeat customer, thanks again guys

• De
      24th of Aug, 2011

you dont seam to be to smart its not hard look in your owners book for your car it tells you how often to change the filters. if they are are due change them if not dont. how hard is that and if you dont want to get some thing say no wow thats hard i go to mr lube all the time same thing they tell you what you need and you tell them if you want it or not

• Ty
      6th of Oct, 2011

All i have to say is your name is "Rick." I could not think of a dumber name if i tried. I have been taking my cars to Pro Oil Change for 9 years now. No complaints. If they recommend a service they are more then willing to open my owners manual for me and show me they are not lying. These guys didnt spend millions of dollars building the cars and quite frankly neither did you. You are angry with them because Toyota says you need to change your filters and you are too dumb to figure that out yourself? Hope you find a better shop then "Rick."

• To
      25th of Apr, 2012

I notice they do not advertize the cost of the service which makes me suspicious

• Th
      16th of Nov, 2012

These stores perform fluid changes and certain services that are manufacturer recommended...As others have stated, open your owners manual, get one or two things done at a time and if you find the service satisfactory, go back the next time and develop a relationship with the shop. For anyone complaining about the prices...go get the supplies yourself and good luck in your driveway...

19th of Aug, 2013
    Pro Oil Change - work not performed properly
    Pro Oil Change
    Ontario
    Canada

For the first time, I went to Pro Oil Change for a standard lube, oil, filter and general check. The oil change was performed so quickly that the old oil was not drained properly. Fortunately, I was watching and confronted the person doing the oil change, and had him undo the plug so the dirty oil could be drained. A fair amount of oil was subsequently drained. The door hinges could not be lubricated because they had no lubricant. I asked that the outer tie rod end be lubricated (one side was replaced and is not an enclosed unit.) It turns out they don't have the appropriate part to lubricate either the outer tie rod end or the lower ball joints. Despite not doing the lubrication, it was marked off as completed on my invoice. It turns out the computer automatically marks as completed even when the work isn't done. I met with management about these irregularities, but wasn't satisfied that my experience was an isolated incident. It appears that Pro Oil Change prides itself on doing a fast oil change at the expense of doing a quality job.

• Mi
      6th of Sep, 2013

My boyfriend took his car to the Milton location - 3 weeks later there was 0.5L of oil and the engine was dead. It is going to cost 7.5K to replace engine ... I would NEVER go back here. Now just trying to at least receive a discount for the oil change ... or lack there of

• St
      9th of Sep, 2013

I've been to the St.Catherine's and Grimsby location numerous times, excellent service, the guys there are very thorough. and am always in and out, I recommend all my friends and family to any of these locations.

• Pa
      26th of Apr, 2018

@StephenJoseph the Grimsby Pro Oil is not a good place, twice I have had issues with the ability to do anything prfessional...stay away...

• Vi
      4th of Feb, 2014

Had a problem with pro oil change at Bradford, Ont. Took advantage of a coupon for rust proofing. What did they do spray the underside with re cycled oil. No ports drilled or rust proof injected. What a rip off. Never going back.

• Sh
      11th of Feb, 2014

I've been going to Pro Oil Change in Grimsby ever since I moved here last July. The guys there are very well trained and have excellent service. It's their job to "upsell" Just like all quick lubes but the guys they got working there pull out my owners manual every time and just let me know its due for this service.

• Al
      13th of Feb, 2014

Got a Coupon from LivingSocial for a oil change at Pro Oil In Coquitlam BC, Canada. Service seems ok at the moment. The mechanic told me and shown me that my car need a differential oil change which was $68 +tax extra (seem legit). Drove back home and after a couple days popped up the hood and found out my power steering wheel fluid and cooland were at minimal, so I phone them and talked to a rep. He offer to bring it back so It will be taking care but I live in Vancouver so didn't bother for a refill that is gonna cost me more than buy it myself and do it.

Imagine if you don't know about this and you run your car for a few month like this or until your next visit.

NO RECOMMEND THIS MECHANIC

• St
      5th of Apr, 2014

Just left pro oil change. They tried to tell me my oil was dirty for a new car, , , no joke, it just drive 6000 kms I'm not stupid!!! That's the whole point of the oil change. Then trying to get me to replace cabin and air filter, , it's a brand new car!!! Service fast but I felt like I was being molested. Very creepy experience. Will not go back!!

Saint John, NB

• Pi
      28th of Apr, 2014

I took my car into the Ajax location on Saturday and by Monday my car said it needs an oil change. I had no coolant no windshield whiper fluid. So I went to my mechanic who said I have no leaks nothing. I also have no engine oil but I was charged almost $90. To top it off my brand new tire valve was broken off which caused me to go and get a new cable done so now I have paid $150 for no service at all. I come back in which it's Monday the manager told me there is a Camara and they will show it to me. Which never happened. Mean less to say my engine dip stick is broken off in the slot. Yet I get regular oil changes and only your staff touches my car.

• Po
      20th of Jun, 2014

When they saw that I was little overdue for oil change they told me that they drained only ONE LITRE of oil from my engine!
    I immediately reacted calling them scammers. Told them to just pack it up and finish. They still charged me for full service.
    Told them I will get CBC Marketplace to investigate and I will!
    This place is in Georgetown, Ontario, 341 Guelph Street.
    AVOID!

• Da
      1st of Jul, 2014

I have been going to Pro Oil Change in Ajax from the time it opened, and I don't understand what the hell all you negative people are talking about. Everything they recommend is in your owners manual, they don't make it up. You are those people that I see on the side of the road broken down blocking traffic, because your too cheep to pay for services. Nothing is free, if you get your air filter installed by someone it will cost you, unless u do it yourself . "Rick" why would you send your wife anyways? I don't see you complaining about the gas price its almost $1.45L but if u go to the Middle East its ONLY $0.05L. That means when you buy something from somewhere, you pay the price, unless you dig your own well and make your own gas.
    Everything they recommend is necessary stuff that needs to be done for the vehicle to be running in perfect condition. Every time I go to Pro oil Change I spend money. Yes they are expensive but I'm not getting my hands dirty, just like you don't want to either, so I am paying the price. So stop complaining like 2 year old's. Pro oil Change in Ajax is a great place, professional, friendly, HONEST, and quick. I will always go there, I have found my place. For all you people that don't agree, buy a donkey car, you won't need a cabin air filter, air filter, ENGINE FLUSH, or your tire valve won't be broken as a donkey car doesn't need air in their tires. That would be ideal transportation for cheap people. The one thing you will need is grass, from your backyard to feed to the donkey, which you can produce yourself and not complain about prices. Be happy and live long.

• De
      7th of Aug, 2014

I'm just writing to let you know how disappointed I am in the service that I received from pro oil change in London Ontario on Ernest Ave today. I went in for an oil change. I asked for the basic package. The whole time I was waiting for my car to be finished they were trying to upsell me. First, they tried to tell me that I needed a new air filter (impossible, bc the one in it was BRAND new... I just put it in the day before) then they tried to say my battery was bad... Also IMPOSSIBLE. It was just tested. Then she said I should get an engine flush because the fluid looked sludgy...

After everything was said and done, it cost me 60.00 for a BASIC oil change and after I left I had to reset my own oil reset button and it said on the paper that they topped up my windshield washer fluid and the warning light came on in my car that said low washer fluid. I popped the hood and looked and it was almost completely empty. Will NEVER go back