Playstation 3Refusal to repair PS3 under warranty

1 Review updated:

I am a retired Police Officer and now reside in Kefalonia, Greece. In December 2017 I bought a Sony Playstation 3 for my 26 year old son. I bought the playstation from an electrical/computer shop in Argostoli, the capitol of Kefalonia. After 4 months the PS3 would not read any discs so I took the playstation back to the shop where I bought it, and the manager packed the PS3 into a box and I took the playstation to Speedex couriers in Argostoli.

On 16th may 20008 the PS3 was sent to the Sony Playstation Service Centre on mainland Greece. Their telephone number is [protected]. Roughly five weeks ago I had the manager of the shop where I had bought the PS3 speak to the service center and they told the manager that a would receive a new PS3 to replace the faulty one but I would have to wait until the end of june, or beginning of july 2017 because they were out of stock.

On 4th July 2017 I again went back to the shop where I bought the playstation and the manager again spoke to the sony service center but this time they said that the security seal on the Ps3 was broken and had invalidated the warranty.

This machine was not interfered with in any way by either me or my son, and I am outraged that nobody has made any attempt to speak to me about this. I do not intend to let this matter drop, and will take the matter through the courts if necessary. On one occasion when I tried to speak to someone in the Service center myself, the person simply hung up the telephone because they had difficulty in understanding me.

I would like someone in authority to make the service center repair my sons playstation, Sony is a big company and should not want to receive negative press about their goods. Its taken seven weeks for someone to come back to me with what amounts to awful customer service, and a deplorable end to something that should have been put right weeks ago.

I suffered six heart attacks two years ago, and quite frankly I could do without any unnecessary stress caused by issues like this.

Yours sincerely, Ray Benson.

Little Buckland,
Keramies. Kefalonia. Greece. Tel [protected].
Mobile. 0030 [protected].

More Playstation 3 Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ad
      Apr 01, 2008
    Playstation 3 - Sony Dtole my Playstation
    N/A
    Cardiff
    Wales, South Glamorgan
    United Kingdom
    Phone: [protected]

this is a copy of a letter i am about to send to sony.

the basis of it is this, i had a faulty ps3, i called the consumer line and they replaced it via parceline courier, then all of a sudden weeks later parceline come back while im not there and harras my 13 year old little sister for a ps3 there meant to pick up, my sister not knowing any differant gives them my perfectly fine ps3, now i cannot get it back, both parties are passing liablity for the mistake. please can you help me.

Sony Computer Entertainment UK Ltd

[protected]
    [protected]@projectdaniels.com

1st April 2017

Dear Sir - Madam
    Today my 60 GB play station 3 was taken from my house without my consent by a parceline courier following a mix up by you customer services team. When I contacted Parceline they told me that I could go and collect it, however when I arrived at their depot I was told that Sony told them not to release it to me. I contacted the customer services line and was then told that parceline would be releasing it back to me within the hour, however then parceline told me they could not give it to me as your consumer service team told them not to release it. On every occasion today the 1st of April 2017 that I spoke to either the customer service line or parceline, each party was passing the responsibility back and forth, four different phone calls with consumer services I was told that there were going to release it, and that a mistake had been made by some one, in fact I was told by the Sony consumer support line that it was meant to be a delivery instead of a pick up. Wires have been crossed some where along the line and I am still without my play station. Today I have lost over £70 in work losses phone calls and petrol also the distress my 13 year old sister has be caused by this as she was the one confronted by the very rude parceline driver in this incident. If I was at home when he arrived this would never have happed but unfortunately I was in work at the time, besides I was not even contacted by any of the parties to be told that someone was coming.
    Finally I was contacted by a MR Richard Allen from the consumer support line for Sony who told me they were investigating the matter and he would get back to me ASAP,
    Firstly I would like to know what the hell is going on and where the hell is my ps3, I want it back including the game which was inside and the 8 GB memory stick that was in the front. I am going to take legal action as effectively Sony or parceline has stolen my property, I have spoke to my solicitor and the South Wales Police and have been told the a mistake made your consumer services have made you both liable. A copy of this letter will be sent to the south Wales echo, the daily mirror and the sun news papers also to citizen’s advice and my local labor councilor.
    I have been a valued Sony Customer for many years purchasing brand new consoles every time they are released and never had a problem like this. I am furied at the lack of communications and unprofessional courtesy I have received from both parties involved. I would like this matter dealt with right away as the stress and problems this matter has caused.
    I’m not sure what mistakes you have made ordering my perfectly working Play station 3 to be taken away but it’s totally unacceptable. I would like to be contacted by email as soon as this letter is read, so a phone call can be arranged with someone of higher Authority.

Contact details for parties

Bill (parceline)
    [protected]
    Parcel consignment number [protected]

Richard Allen (Sony Consumer Support Line)

Regards
    A. Bishop

Nov 08, 2008
    Playstation 3 - did not recieve charged my charge card
    Plaistow
    New Hampshire
    Phone: [protected]
    consolesforless.com

08/29/08 charg e card charged for product I have not recieved yet would like the product or money back.

• Da
      Dec 03, 2008

Hi There

I am also having a hell of a lot of trouble getting my PS3 back. Mine was delivered when i was not in as no-one contacted me about a delivery time so it went back to Sony.

I have spent 3 weeks now speaking to variious people including supervisors, who have told me I would get a re-manufactuired unit the next day on over 4 occassions now.

I have spent hours on their phone line, no one ever rings me back despite promises to do so and my emails remain totally unacknowledged as when I ask about them it is clear they do not even read them or assign them to my case.

Its a total joke and I still haven't got my PS back. I rang this morning and they are now saying that the courier has had my original PS3 for 3 weeks and they will be sending it backl to me when agreement for a re-manufactured unit (Which I was told was as good as brand new) with 6 months warranty was agreed.

For such a forward thinking company they will not even give me an email or number to call a complaints line. By the way Andy Barker is still there Head of Customer Services so if I find his email or contact details then I will post them here. Maybe he cares for his customers, although i wouldn;t hold my breath!

Dave

• Er
      Jun 15, 2009
    Playstation 3 - faulty goods
    harvey norman
    Ireland

the computer has stopped working afetr a year with very little use and thet want me to pat 149 euro yo get it repaired when the goods are faulty

Jun 30, 2009

Did you get the extended warranty that they offered? if not then its your own fault...thats why they offer it, to garantee the working life of your computer to a certain period...why dont people learn...TAKE IT ON STUFF YOU DONT WANT TO BREAK DOWN!

• To
      Aug 18, 2009

im sorry but to offer exteneded warranty does not mean an customer can be ignored due to fault. Consumer advice states that a product must be of fit use regardless of any warranty that is offered. the only thing to be learned from this is not why people do not buy the overpriced rip off extra warranty but why people do not keep fighting for the right to have something that last for long enough to justify the the price

• Ld
      Oct 24, 2009
    Playstation 3 - No Refunds
    Sony

Purchased Games Online but for wrong Game System by mistake. Called Sony Customer Service but will not provide refund because it is in terms and conditions. I understand that they need to do this to protect them, but customers do make mistakes and we just paid over $500 for the game system and another $50 for games that we now can't use. Very upset and now going back to the store to return the game system. So upset... it's like going to the movies and buying to many tickets and them telling you can't have a refund for the ticket.

Mar 27, 2010
    Playstation 3 - Bad service
    Sony

In 2017 I purchased a PS3 in Panam. A few weeks ago, the console presented some problems. As a Sony consumer, I took it to the Sony Repair Center in Panam. For my surprise, Sony Panam told me that they cannot repair this console in Panam and I should send it to Europe (Italy or Spain). I sent several emails to Sony Panam without any answer.

I believe that Sony believes that I should throw away my PS3 and buy a new one, cause the support I had was totally terible!

No solution from Sony USA, Japan and Panam. Think twice before buy it!

• Wh
      Jul 09, 2010

I'm curious about this - you bought games online for a different system and complained to Sony about this?

Why not return the games to whatever online retailer you bought them from, explain the mistake, and then just get the correct versions from them?

Seems like you're returning a video game system for no other reason than you don't want to go through any hassles, even though returning a system after it's been open is going to be nearly impossible in itself.

Playstation 3 - PS3
    Wisconsin

Purchased a PS3 when it first came out: 550$
    Purchased several games, controllers, and various accessories: 150$
    After 2 years of use the graphics module malfunctioned making games unplayable repair cost: 130$
    1 Year and a half later blu ray disc laser malfunctioned no warranty: 130$

After all this and speaking to various customer reps and their supervisor explaining to them I am unhappy, will not buy another Sony product, and 2 repairs in less than 10 years is unacceptable the attitude I received was: WE DON'T CARE!
    This and hearing that Sony's software patches or the video game designed for ps3 called Blackops might be causing this latest malfunction in my ps3. Still the attitude received by Sony is they do not care about their customers and do not stand behind their products.

DO NOT BUY BAD QUALITY SONY JUNK! ESPECIALLY THE PS3!

• Oh
      Feb 19, 2011

I'm going to respond here two ways.

First, this is way I always get the extended coverage plans when I buy game systems. I've had my PS3 since launch, usually use it a couple of hours a day between watching blu-rays and playing games. I've never experienced an single issue. I know the graphic module malfunction you are talking about is a result of the unit overheating and the damage that comes from the overheat. I have my PS3 in an open air space, so mine never gets overheated. Did you have yours in an entertainment center? Also, did you make sure to dust your PS3 every couple of days to avoid dust build up, which is one of the main things that cause faults in the units?

Now for my second way to respond. Please go back to the game forums you Mircosoft fanboy.

Feb 19, 2011

First I do not own any Microsoft gaming products, but that's irrelevant and would probably reveals that you are a Ps3 fanboy.

Second, I'd like to think a unit made to sit in an entertainment center would be designed to handle a moderate amount of dust. Speaking of dust another person had issues getting Sony to honor their warranty on a ps3 concerning dust. Furthermore, I've owned Nintendo products since the beginning and have never had issues with dust INCLUDING the ps1, and ps2.

• Oh
      Feb 19, 2011

Okay, you take care of your electronics. That is good, they will last longer. However, the PS3 is basically a super computer, much more powerful than any other home gaming console. It needs to be treated like a PC tower. I believe it is even in the manual that the PS3 should be kept in an open air environment because of the amount of power it uses, especially to play intense graphic games.

If you ever hear your PS3 fan running loudly, it is because it is trying to cool down. Originally I had mine (along with my 360 & Wii) in an entertainment center. Once I heard this and read some thing on the Playstation blog, I moved the unit (along with the 360) to on top the center, where there is plenty of open air. After that, I never heard the PS3's fan run loudly. If you don't want to take my advice, then so be it, but I would keep it out in the open so it gets the air it needs to perform at peak settings.

Also, the Sony warranty is a joke, I totally agree. When I talked about the warranty I meant one like Best Buy offers where they just give you a gift card for the amount you paid for it.

Finally, the last comment I made about you being a Microsoft fanboy was a joke. I apologize if I offended you.

Feb 20, 2011

Yep. Totally agree with you. I should have taken out a rip off Best Buy warranty on this one.
    After I get back my newly refurbished playstation 3 III, I'm going to take your advice and put it high up on my entertainment center.

Feb 20, 2011

UPDATE:

Found out its the blu ray laser that took a dump. After researching a little I found out this is a recent problem with the PS3 and one which Sony might have even created! The PlayStation forums on Sony's website is bursting with new complaints everyday about this to no avail.

I see now why Xbox 360 is doing so well. I guess I picked poorly out of the 3 competing game counsels.

Oh well:(

• Ky
      Jun 06, 2011
    Playstation 3 - country
    sony
    United Kingdom

my playstation 3 says i live in bulgaria and i cant click on it to change it and i didn't right that i live there. it automaticly comes up

•   Jun 06, 2011

From what i can find out you cant without creating a new ID

Jun 02, 2012

You are lucky that the item arrived at all if you used Speedex!!! Useless people. Don't really seem to understand what the job of a courier is!