Petfinder.com / scams

1 NY, United States Review updated:

As soon as I placed a classified ad to try to find a home for a dog that was dumped at our farm, I was inundated with the "I'll send you a cashier check, you send me the change" scam" And I'm talking about 20 e-mails a day. If the freecycle sites can keep these idiots from contacting us, why can't petfinder? Lots of our local freecycles are no longer allowing the listing of pets, so that really limits being able to find homes for strays and rescues. This really ticks me off.

Comments

Te
  13th of Dec, 2007

I agree with you 100%. Petfinder has been receiving complaints about this problem for years, but thus far does nothing. Many sites like Freecycle issue strong warnings about Nigerian scams for their advertisers. Petfinder makes the deliberate choice not to act. Shameful.

Ed
  6th of Aug, 2008

I checked out Petfinder.com and the site has a warning right before you move on to create your ad. Anyone who uses a computer and has ever used any classifieds system online should already know about such scams. I have used all the so-called safe classifieds and still get the same emails. Common sense people, its the internet, its vast and anyone with access can email anyone who puts their information out there.

Ha
  9th of Aug, 2008

I got one inquiry that said nothing about money. It seemed genuine. The res seemed ... wrong. It made me angry because I need to find a home for this rabbit. I have no other place to send him. But what do these people WANT with our pets?