Park West Gallery / My bad experience

I bought a painting aboard one of our Carnival Cruises out of Tampa FL. My wife and I decided to go to the auction aboard the ship and I bought a Peter Max. Price was around 3K. When I got home, I decided I didn't want it so I called up Park West to cancel. They hadn't even received the invoice. They said they wouldn't be able to cancel because they said "All Sales are Final, " which is something they didn't tell us when making out the invoice. I didn't discover it until I got home where it said this on the back of the invoice. They told me to fax a letter to them and they would see what they could do, but didn't promise. I ever NEVER bought anything I couldn't return if I decided I didn't want it. Not in the case of Park West..

If the decide not to refund, what is my next step to resolving this problem?

Va

Comments

24th of Aug, 2008

Get real. Have you ever attended an auction before? Did you look at the bid card? Everything is explained by the auctioneer and is documented on the bid card and invoice. When you buy at auction, you win. Enough said. Enjoy what your purchased. If you change your mind after you get off the ship, you deprive who ever else was bidding from what they wanted.

• Ge
      4th of Nov, 2008

Get more real responder!!! Park West Gallery is being investigated by every federal agency for fraud. Deprive who what --- they are selling multiples!!! Park West Gallery is a rip off. Period. Fake art all over ships and auctions. Stay away.

• Ha
      10th of Nov, 2008

Let's think about this - if Park West sold fakes then why would they have initiated a lawsuit against the website (FAR) making this outrageous claim? Obviously Park West will have to produce evidence supporting the authenticity of their artwork during litigation. When they were attacked did they crawl away into the night? No. They sued. Park West has been in business for 40 years and aren't going away just because an extortionist website decides to attack their reputation. Enough said.

• Pa
      2nd of Dec, 2008

Contact the FBI They are investigating along with other governemnet agencies,
    Park west is a scam and has vilated RICCO satutes and broken many laws. They have a presence in the USA and at land sales.
    They wil lbe held accountable to USA laws.
    They are ripping off people and will be stopped.
    Research teh class action and more lawsuits.
    They do give refunds with gag orders.
    I have documented proof .
    All art work I purchased is fraudulent and they are thieves, .
    Get the word out there and post!!!
    Help others to klnow not to buy from them.
    All park west victims UNITE.
    We can slay this monster, get them out of business and win!!

• Re
      7th of Dec, 2008

They have refunded others in same situation.
    IN any other contract sale you have 3 days to rescind or change your mind.
    I actually was told by one of their autioneers that everyone still does have the same 3 day period ( at least) because they have a presence in the USA and must conform to uSA laws.
    So what progress have you made in resolving this? Did PW make you sign a confidentiality agreement??
    Basically a gag order which is really not enforeable cause the info is already out here, everywhere!
    Regrading class action suits and investigations, it does appear as though progress is being made in certifying the suit.
    That is good news indeed.
    So if you have not as yet joined the class action suit, google it and join!

• Ab
      4th of Feb, 2009

I have purchased some art from Park West on 2 cruises and am not thrilled about the allegations and lawsuits that I have been reading about. Maybe I've been taken by them. However, I do want to point out that I could just as easily walk into a reputable art gallery in San Francisco, have someone give me a song and dance, and proceed to pay too much for a piece of art. It's no different than paying too much for a car or a house - buyer beware.

• St
      4th of Feb, 2009

It seems that all complains that have been made including Law suit have never been successful again Park West. We would have to condider why does the law fail win any claims against Park West Gallery or Park West @ Sea.
    I would concider the fact that the gallery have a great product that the offer at great prices. How ever any complains that i have read are compairing Park West Gallery to Ebay to name one. You would have to concider when bying from Ebay, you will be getting yourself into a byers remors once you found out that there is little paper work that goes hand in hand with Art works sold on the net. But do remember if you are collecting art work for investment reasons, take in concideration that investments takes time.
    You can never by a painting today and expect to sell it a year later for double that. If that is what you are thinking, you can be descrip as a idiot.

A fact in the world we are living in: Art works has always cotinued to gain value over years.
    My advise is when collecting art for investment. Know that the $ 10, 000 you are spending today, you should not need that monies over a number of years .
    Only use your monies that you can afford to life with out for 10 years or more.

Art Colector

24th of Apr, 2009

Park West is a ripoff. They do not sell legitimate art - they tell you the art is of great value but it's all worthless. They refuse to issue refunds, tell lies and try to force you to sign a gag order to give you your money back. This is a terrible company and do not deal with them. Most reputable art galleries will refund your money if you're not happy. The really good ones will let you take the work home, hang it up and see if you like it. If not - you can return it and get every cent back and you don't have to sign a gag order. Park West should be put out of business for good!

• Vi
      9th of Jun, 2009

If you see a positive post about Park West... well they have admitted to hiringa PR frm that gets people to post all over the internet, nice things about themselves to cover up honest complaints. It appears they dont just have shills during auctions but also on the internet. Some it appears have shown up here! And yes they are under government investigation. I have been questioned. The cruise ships got a percent of their ill gotten money and are also being sued.

I have a relative who has now discovered he bought hundreds of thousands of near worthless art from them... of course his appraisels from Park West say its worth hundreds of thousands more than he paid.

You can buy what they claim to be valuable art for 9 bucks and up on Ebay. its poster art for the most part. They wil sell a Picasso for 50K, say its worth $70K and yet at Christies or Sothebys ... its worth 5K! Those are real numbers... And thats the prints of an artist with some cache... of course sometimes its found that not only is it overpriced, but its fake and worth nothing. Then there is their crusie ship artist they call Modern masters... that stuff is now almost worthless... If oit comes from Park West.. no one wants it!

Regards

• Sp
      18th of Oct, 2009
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

Park West Gallery at one time WAS a respected gallery. At one time Park West Gallery represented very few works by Dali, due to the all the controversy surrounding his work. We, at one time prided ourselves, it was part of OUR montra.

Then, things changed, mainly from GREED, around the time Park West began on board ship auctions. All hell broke loose. Albert Scaglione wanted a bigger piece of the pie. "We can all live better on a bigger slice of the pie", I can still hear him say!.

I was forced out of this inner circle, for reasons too numerous to mention. I guess Albert Scaglione felt I WOULD have called him to the carpet on his poor business decision(s) .

This company OWES me, and so very many people, hundreds of million of dollars
    bar none. Not to mention the pain and suffering involved in his IDIOTIC choices!

I for one, know that old perverbial saying, and await his fate. The many stooges that make up this organization, who had the ability to shape and mold this company SHAME ON YOU!!! from Albert, to Morry, to Bill, to Nicky Yankee you should ALL BE ASHAMED to be a part of this life eroding corrupt organization!

I, for the time I spent with you all, set an EXAMPLE you where, and still are, TOO BLIND TO SEE ! And yet, you know, I can still forgive you!!...

• Pa
      22nd of Oct, 2009

I unfortunately bought some fake Dali art from Park West. I am lucky to live in a city where several Dali experts reside, and when the rumors questioned the legitamacy of the art, I had mine checked out. When presented with this information, I chose to fight hard against Park West, and eventually got a 90% refund. So, it is possible.

Why are they counter suing? It is a tactic that they are using to outspend anyone who questions them in hopes the suits get dropped. However, a tsunami of suits are pouring in across the country to the point where I believe they are going to have to show up in court.

Also, in most states, it is illegal to be the auctioneer and the appraiser at the same time. If for nothing else, it is an obvious conflict of interest.

• Pw
      23rd of Jan, 2010

My, My, Dave Teeman, the Arrogant ### that he IS, has rejoined Park West Gallery. Goes to shows you what desperate people will do for the almighty dollar.

• Ha
      1st of May, 2013

I have attended several are auctions at sea, most conducted by Park West Gallery. In EVERY auction I have attended they have clearly stated at the beginning of every auction several things which include: ALL SALES ARE FINAL, SAY IT WITH ME, ALL SALE ARE? FINAL. ANY QUESTIONS? ALL SALES ARE? FINAL. Also they say (in short) there is a confidential minimum bid, that means until the bidding reaches the minimum bid I cannot sell it. I will tell you when the minimum bid is reached. (and they always have done that).

• Ra
      19th of Oct, 2013

Harshmanda
    I make my living buying and selling and deal frequently with auctioneers of all stripes. A few are very honest, a few more are crooks and the vast majority just play the game of saying as little as possible and letting bidders assume what they may. Over the last 25 years I have learned the meaning of "Buyer beware" and also that there are deals to be had when others are timid.

What struck me in my recent experience onboard a NCL cruise was the exaggerated claims of the auctioneer and his apparent ignorance of the normal auction process. He understood the use of the gavel, but used a bidding structure that was overly complex with tiered "bids", some of which he called pre-bids, but which were in fact house reserves. He seemed to be trying to create an auction fever without giving the audience much of a chance to bid... and he sure enjoyed slamming that gavel and saying "SOLD!" regardless of actuality. What was disturbing is not that he was necessarily under any regulation as he could have probably claimed we were in international waters, but that he actually claimed it was a live auction when there were virtually no competitive bidders. More importantly his stated objective appraisals or valuations were far from objective and the authenticity of the limited prints by Picasso, Rembrandt, Dali and other masters really was questionable. As "all deal are final" and some of them were in the $10K to $30K it would seem reasonable to expect some sort of guarantee that what was presented was in fact real. The small print on the proposed contracts I saw did not offer this assurance. This coupled with the class action and private US based law suits should be a firm indicator to all customers that not all that is as presented. Technically because regulating transactions in extraterritorial waters, the Park West Gallery cannot not be said to be doing anything criminally wrong. That they have settled with individuals and found culpable in other cases, would suggest that their integrity and honesty might be considered at the low end of the scale. In my opinion they seek to lead their patrons to false conclusions or assumptions which result in purchases at inflated value. This is not unlike any auction, except that here auctions are just the bait; the follow-up meetings and VIP invitations to identified "marks" are where the real action and pressure techniques are applied.
    I bought one piece at auction which was the actual item, not something that was to be framed and delivered when we returned home. I was satisfied with the value or at least can live with the fact that I raised my hand knowing that it was not to wave hello. This put us in the sites of the PW people. When we were subsequently the winners of a house draw (100 participants) for a "free" high quality print, my spidey senses went off, especially since we were VIP seated in front row. Normally when I have time I check out prospective purchases on the www, but of course at sea this can be relatively expensive and being the somewhat cheap SOB I am, I never bought a package. On shore, between responding to emails and sight seeing, I also didn't get any researching done. Left to rely on my gut, there were three basic rules that came in handy:
    #1: Why is the seller selling?
    #2: Why do I want to buy it (for me this is profit)?
    #3: What pressures are behind the opportunity... are they real or created artificially?
    Obviously PW is in business to making money. However they claimed that the works they were selling had values (via sales records) of several thousand dollars above what they were asking. If this was true it would be bad business to sell them at less than market value. Their business is based on driving the market upwards, not downwards, so the WHY, was probably because they could get more on board ship than elsewhere. This left me with a reason for buying which would have had to have been that I liked the art more than what else I could do with the $10k (+)... I didn't. Lastly, the pressure thing was continually in the background (TODAY ONLY!) and there was no negotiating a due diligence or performance clause into any contract... the deal had to be done, the paper signed, before port was reached. The only reason for this pressure is to ensure the money is irreversibly in-hand before research or second thought might lead to buyer remorse. Any quality deal is worth negotiating and sleeping on.

Perhaps my distaste for this business was best illustrated when the "free" print Eileen had won and decided to have mounted in a gallery quality mat, glass and frame at a $300 price was delivered. The 30x24" piece came with Plexi glass, damaged matting and a dense plastic frame. I guess the question should have been asked as to which gallery the "gallery quality" was assigned. Obviously it was Park West Gallery's quality, which is in our experience looks good until looked at closely.

The bottom line with Park West Gallery is that they appear to be less interested in what they are selling and more interested in maximizing profit regardless of the impact this may have on the people they target. The cruise lines with which they partner appear complicit in this as they allow them to set up shop prominently and provide access to guest lists and room locations. It would be interesting to know if the cruise lines take as much a share of their profits (40%) as they do of the on-shore vendors and tour providers they work with.

• Ni
      9th of Dec, 2014

I have for years tell people to avoid cruise line auctions. Being an expert Fine Art Appraiser, I tend to avoid them whenever possible. If you want some information this article is worth the read. http://www.travel-golf.org/t_cruise_art_auctions_scam_fraud.htm alot of your question will be answere3d.

• De
      6th of Feb, 2015

My First and Last Experience with Park West Gallery…

I was on a Princess cruise in February 2014 and had my first and last experience with park west gallery.
    I went to all the shows and bid and won a few pieces of art. Alfred Gockel, Itzchak Tarkay. On the 2nd to last day a piece of art came up it was a ship nautical chart with the captain and his staff signatures from Princess Celebrity Silhouette.

The female auctioneer stated that this nautical map was worth several hundred dollars and a great add to anyone collection, being a scuba instructor this would look great in my office the starting bid was $200.00,
    I ended up buying this piece of art. It wasn’t until I got home when I had my art apprised the other pieces were fine however the nautical map was not, I was told from the appraiser that this nautical map was worth $ 0.00 it was worthless.

I called park west gallery and got the runaround from the management stating that they were not responsible for the nautical map that the ship was, Calling Princess Cruises informed me that since park west gallery sold it I would have to go to them.

So the end of my story is Be careful on what you bid on and don’t truly believe the auctioneer I was left with a $200.00 piece of paper with signatures that could not be verified

• Fl
      17th of Apr, 2016

Parkwest Gallery they are big scam artist the top news CNN nightly news doing a big investigation they will be exposed on television top 10 multinational law firms are going after Parkwest beware.

• Na
      1st of Apr, 2017

The Federal Trade Commission invites complaints from victims of Park West Gallery and cruise line shipboard art "auctions" at ftc.gov or by calling 202-326-2222. Please file your complaint to join others like myself who have been victimized.