Northern Leasing / Smart Card Merchant Service / Fraud - misrepresentation on credit card processing service and terminal lease

1 United States

I got a call from Smart Card Merchant Service stating that we can save about 40% to 50% on credit card processing service and was forced to make appointment to meet with local sales rep.

They said there’s NO obligation to sign up and this is just simply to compare current rate and theirs.

Then the local sales rep., Michael Lee was assigned to our business and offered me great deal that no one would refuse.

He mentioned that in order for them to find out whether we are qualified for those great deals that he mentioned, the documents needed to be initialized and singed.

Then, he FORCED me to initial and sign on the documents that I never had chance to read and understand because he was HIDING all the IMPORTANT PART. When I hesitated to sign, he repeated assurance phrase of “this is just for QUOTE purpose, NO contract or agreement, DON’T WORRY, TRUST ME, I’m doing this full time and I have over 20 years of experience and I’m here to HELP business owners to save money. I NEVER LIE.” Then later on, we found out that documents were the actual non-cancelable agreement/contract of the lease for 48 months!

As for Free equipment part, I asked repeatedly if it is really free or not because most of the merchant service companies always have a choice to buying option or leasing option. He assured it’s FREE and it’s NOT lease.

Then WITHOUT any notification, I received a brown box from the courier and I signed it without paying any attention. It was the credit card swiping machine. I immediately contacted Michael Lee and left message that I received the machine WITHOUT any notice or any analysis/quote that I supposed to receive BEFORE any official agreement.

I NEVER thought signing "the simple brown package" from Northern Leasing was considered actual acceptance of the contract until I called Northern Leasing. Is this action legally acceptable?

I contacted Smart Card Merchant and Northern Leasing several times to solve the issue by myself somehow, but nothing solved until now. Both companies are just dodging the responsibility each other.

I still don't understand why they are still in business...

In