New York Times Online / Did not issue refund

1 NY, United States Review updated:

I subscribed to their online crosswords in 2007 for $39.95 for a year. They automatically renewed and charged my credit card, with out my consent, for another year in June 2008. They do not attempt to contact you that they are going to be charging you for another year of service, they do do this without permission or consent. I signed on to the nytimes.com website and fortunately canceled the subscription within days of my card being charged. I was upset to find that nytimes.com keeps all your information such as credit card #s stored on their website, but there is no way to delete your own account to avoid having this personal information readily available for anyone to see. So I emailed customer service asking for my entire account to be deleted. The next day I received an e-mail reply saying my crossword subscription has been canceled, thank you. I go back to NYTimes.com and my account and personal information is all still there. I e-mailed again, frustrated that 1) this person Oneeka seems to be the only customer service person, 2) she/he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer 3) this person obviously did not read or comprehend my first email. I e-mailed again and repeated my request, and finally the person got it right. Now I am waiting for my refund for the unauthorized crossword renewal charge and again email an inquiry, and again Oneeka replies "we have no record of your account." So now they are going to get out of giving me a refund. I should be refunded for the full amount per NYTimes.com's own refund policy:

http://www.nytimes.com/membercenter/faq/crosswords.html#crosswqa4 (accessed 6/22/08)

What is the refund policy for Premium Crosswords? Because Premium Crosswords requires you to download and install software, we will refund 100% of the price if you have difficulties with the download of this product and cancel within seven days of purchase. If you request a refund after seven days of purchase, we will grant a partial refund for the time remaining on your subscription. To cancel your Premium Crosswords subscription, visit the Purchase History area of Member Center, look for "Your Active Premium Products" and click on the "cancel this product" link next to your Premium Crosswords subscription. Follow the instructions on the next page and you should receive a pro-rated refund.

Gift subscriptions of Premium Crosswords are non-refundable. If you have any questions or encounter any problems, please e-mail Customer Service at diversions@nytimes.com.

I am going to file a complaint with BBB (NYTimes is a member). Take home lesson: DO NOT SIGN UP FOR NYTIMES.COM CROSSWORDS SUBSCRIPION. They will subsequently charge your card year after year without your consent (I check my credit card statements frequently and carefully, but most people don't, and they will just pay the charge without even noticing it). They will refuse to refund the unauthorized payment. STAY AWAY FROM NYTIMES.COM ONLINE SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES.

Comments

• Dr
      6th of Oct, 2008

In the past two weeks the Times has been delvered at 7am, almost two hours after the time I have received it for over the past year. However you view your obligation to deliver the Times earlier than 7am, I will cancel it. I leave for work by 7am and can just as easily buy it at a news stand. I am sure you hear this complaint regularly and continue to lose customers due to your excuse of allowing your carriers to deliver up until 8:30am daily.

• Jb
      1st of Mar, 2011

The New York Times still has not given me a refund for a paper they were unable to deliver 4 months ago. I talked to 5 different employees at the NY Times about getting my refund, each of which promised that it would be there in 7-10 business days. Wrong. I am disgusted by the New York Times, and will read the Wall Street Journal from this point forward.

20th of Aug, 2018
    The New York Times - the New York Times home delivery
    New York
    New York

Delivery has become inconsistent, with the paper missing many days, or being left in the street instead of brought to my apartment door as it should.