New York Times Home Delivery / Ripped Off

1 New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-698-4637

I called to have my subscription ended on the date that was the end of my billed period. They chose to put a new date on it, so that I was billed automatically to my credit card. They billed me for the full 2 months (even though the date they picked for stopping it would have involved three papers only). I called back and they said it would be refunded to my credit card within 30 days. Guess what? 30 days has long ago come and gone and no refund. I called and emailed and they said it was in processing. I finally filed a com;laint with the Better Business Bureau the other day. Isn't it interesting that they could find my credit card number to charge it - always in advance of the service - but can't seem to be able to refund it?

I used to think this was a reputable organization, but this experience has taught me that they are in the business to take your money, even for a service you neither want nor that they provided. Whatever you do, don't subscribe to the NYT if you think you might EVER want to stop!!!

Pa

Comments

• Li
      16th of Nov, 2008

received last weeks paper 10/09/08 today11/16/08

• El
      26th of Apr, 2009

Sirs

I have been a subscriber to your home delivery service for many, many years. I started when we lived in a private home in Wantagh, Long Island and continued when we moved to an apartment on Roosevelt Island in New York. The paper was always delivered to our front door, true "home delivery". My wife and I recently moved to an Assisted Living Facility in New York City called The Village at 46th and Ten and continued the home delivery subscription at the same price. Unfortunately, the serivice is not the same. The paper is delivered to the front desk, not to our door. This means that one of us has to get fully dressed and go down to get the paper. This is not exactly "home delivery". Where we lived on Roosevelt Island, there were a lot more apartments and, I am sure, a lot more subscribers. Here, there are not that many subscribers and I am wondering why we cannot get the paper delivered to our door. I am seriously cnsidering cancelling the subscription.
    Eli Jack Held
    Apt 422

• El
      26th of Apr, 2009

See comments above

• Rt
      28th of Dec, 2016

So, I guess they just don't care about home delivery, which is hard to believe in these hard times for print media. I got a promo rate for weekend delivery for 12 weeks-$13.20, started in Oct. They delivered only 1 paper to date 12/28th, even after many calls to them. So today I finally talked to a supervisor who said that the promotion I had was over so she could only deliver at that price for the rest of the time on it FIVE weeks not 12!
    And she gave me the promo they offer now---50% off for 12 weeks...big difference. Like a fool I took it, but I am so unhappy with the way this was handled I will have to cancel that. Can't deal with a company who cannot honor their commitments. THEY were the ones that broke our contract and refuse to make good on it, but they will not make good on it. Great paper, bad delivery, bad customer service, fraudulent business practices. Will call and cancel that and write to BBB. THR