MyFax.com / mis-representation / fraud

United States Review updated:
4.6
At first myfax.com appears to be a reputable company, advertising and promoting a "free" trial, asking for your cc number, but states you may cancel within 30 days and there are no charges.
We decided to try the "free " trial, and after 2 days, we cancelled, because we felt their plans would not work for us.
After we cancelled . they immediatley submitted a charge for $25.
which we are disputing. Beware of this deceptive company, which probably makes a lot of money using deceptive practices, Do not provide them with your cc number, because if you cancel, they will attempt to charge fee's.
Re

Comments

St
  8th of Dec, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
MyFax does not charge customers for any subscription fees for the first month of the trial, and you can cancel - without charge - during the first 30 days.

That apparently has not been your experience, and I'd like to help you resolve it - and make sure it doesn't happen again. You can contact me at 613-733-0000 x511.

Steve Adams
VP Marketing
MyFax
Bs
  11th of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
They've done the same thing with me. I was charged $50.00 even though I cancelled 27 days in. I've filed a dispute with my credit card.

Brett
Tr
  27th of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I also have billing issues w/ this company. Canceled service, that I hadn't used in months, and they tried to keep billing me. Had closed that checking account and my bank called to say they'd tried another; don't even know how they got the number of the second. Told fraud department (maybe they were confusing the two accounts, who knows) that I'd canceled so they froze them out. Now they are continually nagging me to give them a new credit card to pay $10 they say I owe (for a prepay service) which I suspect if I gave them they'd keep charging. Who knows what goes on internally there but I wouldn't recommend this company to anybody.
Pe
  10th of May, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
They advertise to let you send a trial free fax before hitting send you are required to provide 3 freinds emails, after youre done and hit send then you get the following message, you are limited to only two faxes in a day, being this my 1st fax ever, ...obviously the thing was not faxed and I gave them my 3 contacts for nothing...why so many corrupt companies???
St
  20th of May, 2010
Agree Disagree -3 Votes
We offer a completely free faxing service at www.myfax.com/free. This service is intended for people with infrequent and low volume faxing needs, and allows users to send two faxes per day at no charge. For those who need more we offer a full internet faxing service starting at just $10 per month.

myfax.com/free does have a 'tell a friend' form which allows you to notify your colleagues about the service. The use of this form is completely optional, and we do not retain any email addresses collected there.

If you've experienced a technical issue with the service (for example, if it blocked you from sending even a single fax) then I apologize. You can follow-up through me directly by calling 613-733-0000 x511.

Steve Adams
VP Marketing
Co
  27th of Jul, 2010
Best Best Advice Agree Disagree +4 Votes
DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICE!!! Their "free" trial is not free!!! They are as crooked as they come. I tried their "free" trial promotion and called to cancel way before that so called trial period ended. So I think all is well until recently I'm getting emails stating I owe for the last several months?? AND they say I never cancelled!?!? I used the service once, had a hard time faxing and felt the service was not good. So I canceled - too many error messages. Now they're hounding me to pay them several months to cancel??? Biggest crooks I have ever dealt with. I called and due to getting a new cc after losing my wallet (you need last 4 digits of cc used at sign up) they tell me to email them with account # and so forth. I do. SIX times and still they will not cancel?!? I now have to contact the Better Business Bureau because I feel harassed into paying monies I don't owe. I canceled! If they continue keep my account open to slap on charges I will contact a lawyer. I'm sick of crooked companies and their fraudulent practices. I will not be forced to pay monies I don't owe.
Dr
  31st of Jul, 2010
I have used MyFax.com for several years and except for getting random faxes from medical companies in VA that aren't mine I have never had a problem. MyFax it way cheaper than E-Fax and I get more in & out faxes.
  23rd of Aug, 2010
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
BEWARE THE 30 DAY FREE TRIAL FROM MYFAX!!

MyFax does not send a SINGLE warning or notice before the 30 day trial ends to ask if you want to continue with the trial. Without a single notice, MyFax just charges your credit card and refuses to refund, even if you have not sent or received a single fax!

MyFax exists to scam and defraud the consumer. MyFax is a fraudulent business.
Sa
  30th of Aug, 2010
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
My fax did the same thing to my account. I was paying $3.95 a month and all of sudden for the last two months I was charge $50 a month. I called customer service rep to explain I am still working with the rep on the final package due to their transition/merger. This issue was still open why the backdooring your client? When I called them last week to credit me back. They state this is irreversible and offer me $6 plan. I was fine with it but request why they did not offer this in the first place and allow the charge of $50? I request for the credit of the $50 and place me in the new package at $6 a month. MyFax refuse this. I said this was still an open ticket and I have the email transcript to prove it. They refuse. I called my credit card company to reverse the charge. MyFax deactivate my account next day. My whole business was down and rely on the incoming fax.

This is how these big company try to muscle us and force us to pay or else. You know what, I can lose $$ on this downtime but base on principal, Myfax should continue to work out the matter instead trying to muscle us small business to pay or else BS. Shame on you!!! Be careful people.

I suggest for those other folk to file a complaint here and to the BBB. If it only one customer that is not happy, I can understand but it appears there are more and more clients coming forward.

Is it worth $100 MyFax??? to lose a long term customer and future ones> I think it could have been handle better. Below is the email from them:

Dear Customer,

This message is to inform you that your MyFax account # 1502872 has been deactivated. Please contact us if you would like to reactivate your account. You can reach our billing department at: 1-888-733-0000 x 754.

Thank you from MyFax.
Go
  10th of Sep, 2010
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Thanks to this website and chain of postings, I was able to avoid a misunderstanding with Myfax. After a phone conversation with Mr. Steve Adams, my situation with my account was explained to me and resolved. Mr. Adams handled this very professionally and I'm certainly impressed that a VP with a company of this size was willing to deal with a small customer such as myself. This shows the company does care about their reputation and business transactions. I mean the fact the guy put his information on this forum says a lot about his desire to serve clients appropriately.

I was a packetel client until my account was purchased by Myfax. The purchase and transfer was seamless and I noticed no drop in service. There were no problems receiving my faxes the entire time my account was with Myfax. I determined that at this point I do not need faxing services so I deactivated my account with Myfax. But if and when the need arises for faxing services again, I will consider Myfax. I would recommend their services and would suggest as with any service contract make sure you understand your responsibilities when making any agreements. This advice does not just apply with Myfax but with gym memberships or anything else. It definitely seems from my experience that Myfax is not attempting to mislead clients or be deceptive in any manner. They are in the customer service business and rely on customer satisfaction. Although other posts up above suggest dissatisfaction, my experience was completely the opposite.
In
  28th of Sep, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I signed up with MyFax then cancelled the service when we closed the website and the email associated with the MyFax email account. (By closing the website, all email accounts would also be closed automatically by our webhosting service, making the MyFax account useless to us without a recipient email address to receive the faxes.) Because the charges were "only" $10 a month they fell below our credit card radar when reviewing charges. When we closed that account we opened a new account with a new email address and new credit card number. Several months later we received a better deal from RingCentral. Through the MyFax website I canceled our MyFax service. I then received a message from MyFax offering me a reduced rate if I reversed my decision not to cancel. I did not renew my account. Instead I subscribed to another service for which I paid for the full 12 months in advance. Well, in reviewing my credit cards, MyFax has been charging me for the second account since July. With respect to the first account, MyFax has been billing me since March! When I called MyFax and spoke to a supervisor named Dennis, he said without "PROOF" that I canceled my account there was nothing he could do! I said, proof? How about the fact I know you send a reduced rate offer to customers who've cancelled as I received such an offer? How about the fact I didn't use the service after that date? How about the fact I paid RingCentral, Inc for an annual subscription for a fax service. I trusted MyFax with my credit card numbers and they took advantage of that trust with fraudulent charges. I'm going to contact my credit cards, Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Buruea as MyFax has ripped me off by nearly $100.
Ro
  17th of Jan, 2011
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
This company is a scam. Tonight I tried to sign up for a free trial. I got an error message AFTER they charged $1 to my card. It said my account couldn't be set up, call customer svc. Then I get an email saying MYFAX *PROTUS IP SOLN, 866-563-9212, GA charged $1 to my card. I then received 3 other emails saying that MYFAX *PROTUS IP SOLN, 866-563-9212, GA was attempting duplicate transactions. They attempted 3 duplicate transactions in the 3 minutes following the first $1 hold. Because their website screwed up and made 3 duplicate transactions in addition to the original transaction, my debit card automatically got LOCKED!!! And I still have no free 30 day trial!!! Now, to top it all off, I called and some idiot name FRANK told me "Just call your bank" in broken English. I said "But I have no 30 day trial or anything AND my debit card is locked" He repeated "Just call your bank" and HUNG UP ON ME. I attempted 3 more times to call back, pressing buttons for different departments each time and FRANK is the only one who answers the phone for EVERY department!!! This is obviously a scam and a company that can not afford tech support or anything other than a [censor] answering the phone. SAD but true!!!
So
  24th of Feb, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I've come across this topic as a result of Googling 'myfax.com card fraud'. I'm in England and have just had a similar event to the one the lady called Roxanne refers to. My debit card was stopped and the bank's fraud department contacted me. They informed me the company responsible for the fraud attempt was 'MyFax.com Protus' and they also gave me the telephone number associated with the attempt. They said they had tried a small test amount of £1. I first Googled the number 0808 804 0014 which, despite being a UK number, led me to Myfax.com and an american lady answered the phone. So it's cost me a massive amount of inconvenience and also some money, other than the £1 stolen by them/someone employed by them/or maybe they are innocent??? . I would have totally presumed innocent until i came on here and other returned Google results detailing other people's experiences. Now i'm not so sure.
My
  30th of Nov, 2011
MyFax is a fraudulent company. They provide no statements or notifications of charges. Their customer service is inadequate and they transfer you to non-existing numbers when you have a concern and need to speak with management. The fax service is a lie, do not subscribe as you are guaranteed to be disappointed.
  28th of Mar, 2012
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Steve Adams sounds like an upstanding guy. He might want to look for another company. I have been a customer of MyFax for probably 3-4 years and was a very satisfied customer. However, the past 6 months I have been having multiple issues including unable to send faxes and receiving no notification that they were not sent, not being able to receive faxes even though the sender is receiving a confirmation of fax being sent successfully. I have called multiple times and received the message "we are experiencing higher than normal call volume at this time..." Really? Maybe other people are pissed they can't send or receive their faxes! After 6 months of receiving complaints from MY customers, I had to break down and switch companies. MyFax waited until they could bill me for one more billing cycle (on Friday) then cancelled my service on Monday. On Tuesday they drafted my bank account an additional $40! There is NOTHING in Terms & Conditions stating they can charge me any cancellation fee AND I have never authorized them to charge me that kind of fee. Seriously? I googled MyFax and found this page. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. I have contacted my bank, but I am concerned I may have to close my account - especially after reading the other post.
Br
  14th of Jun, 2012
Sketchy business. I tried to resolve an issue via email and their automated response said one of the options to contact them is through chat. Sounds great in theory but I never got a reply to my question after their standard greeting. I typed a series of "Hello... is anyone there?" for 10 minutes. No response. It's an absolutely useless option. They claim customer service is available on a 24/7 basis but if you have a question that goes beyond the capacity of the CS rep (which is pretty minimal) and need to speak with a supervisor you have to call during their business hours. According to the CS rep I spoke with supervisors don't work at night. Not a good option for people who work long hours and are on the west coast. I was finally able to reach a supervisor at 5:40AM PST after being on hold for 20 minutes (apparently there is only one supervisor) who was able to handle my question.
  26th of Jun, 2012

MyFax.com - No service
SPECA
France

I signed up to MyFax.com and was, for over a year, very pleased with the service. As such, I felt confident enough to get my business stationery printed with my MyFax.com fax number. However, in recent weeks the service has failed, I can not send or receive faxes and have sent countless messages to the support and sales departments, none of which have led to a resolution of the problem. They have spent time talking to me and they have said that they have escalated the technical problem, however, the situation remains unresolved and has lasted for about two weeks. If I had not already printed my fax number on all my stationery I would happily change the provider, but as it is I am stuck. I can not use the service for which they are still charging me and I can not get them to resolve the problem.

When I call my own fax number it simply rings!

What am I to do?

Mike Spencer. France.
Re
  27th of Jun, 2012
I totally agree. Any business that makes it easy to sign up but hard to cancel is a scam. Myfax.com has a completely automated signup process, but forces you to talk to an agent to cancel. Whenever I try to cancel the online chat is busy. The signup says cancel anytime, yeah right. The service works, but their business practices are sketchy at best.
My
  13th of Jul, 2012
This is the worst company to sign up. Impossible to cancel the account after 4 years of service. Didn't really need it after 3 years but kept on billing me. I tried to cancel by chat many times and called many times and waited a couple time for 30 whole minutes and finally hanging up when there is no answer. Had to cancel my card and then immediately they try to contact me to pay or update my cc# . This is BS!!! Do not use this company its one of the biggest frauds. MYFAX.COM SUCKS!
Br
  30th of Aug, 2012
I've been with MyFax for years but I'm shopping for another fax service now. The past few months I've had a number of problems and I just hate their new interface on the web.

MyFax Logo MyFax