Metro Public Adjustment / Scam

1 Bensalem, PA, United States Review updated:

Metro Public Adjustment is one of the biggest scams going - not just for the homeowners they promise to " represent " and bilk out of millions in insurance money, but also the people they mislead with their recruitment rubbish. You are always much better off dealing with your insurance company on your own . You will get your money much faster and not be taken to the cleaners by these wolves in sheeps clothing. Do not let these con artists into your house - don't let them talk you into signing anything.
This company needs to be investigated by the Insurance Commission, and they should be shut down and made to repay all of the money they charged people for doing nothing !

Comments

• Ir
      24th of Jan, 2012

I wish i would have known this before letting them into my home!!! What a hot mess we are in!!! We have been waiting to repair our home for almost a year!! I cry every night in frustration that these people actually are still in business!!!

• Ga
      27th of Jan, 2012

Currently I am unemployed and I am seeking job. I respond to an online post about this job. I got a very swift response after sending a resume, I got a swift response email that had time and directions and suite number for an "Orientation" . So I go there, there I asked one of the building workers were I could find the suite number I was given. he kind of half shook his head as he led me down to what seemed to be the basement of the building. I entered the suite and a women led me to a room for a presentation with about ten other people. We were all handed applications to fill out. We then were shown a video claiming insurance companies were these sick monsters out to rip you off. Then women came in and talked about wiping a sponge on the wall and if there's dirt on then there's smoke damage, now I get a little sketched out, Later on, the "Executive Vice President" entered the room. He talked more about how we can make all this money blah blah and it started to sound like what people used to say about Amway, I thought I might just be paranoid and I was really desperate for work so I stayed for the rest of this orientation and handed in my application. He then asked me if I can come in for training later on in the day I said "alright" but when I got home to check these guys out...Wow! I never have seen so many complaints reported online! I felt pretty awful about this and very angry. These worthless ### feast off of job seekers who are having a tough time as it is and wasting their time and trying to do what I now learned is a "MLM scheme" This is the most disgusting thing I have ever encountered. After doing my research, I am worried that they are going to lurking around my house and calling me up to sell me ###. I HOPE ALL OF THESE WALKING PIECES OF GARBAGE ROT IN HELL!!!

@Gaboon1269 you're an idiot, plain and simple

• Vm
      21st of Mar, 2012
    Best Best Advice

It's amazing to hear about these "issues" and yet I've been a rep for just under a year and with the few clients I've helped they have earned more money for their claims to cover expenses of a professional contractor doing work instead of having to hire a "friend" who has a hobby. As for the location of where orientation takes place, yes our off site office locations are not huge buildings like our corporate office but our training is top notch and business is legal. We do not feast off poor innocent individuals. We help home owners reach fair settlements with their insurance companies instead of the insurance company not paying for repairs. Three of my clients had filed claims on their own and were entitled to more money but the insurance company didn't tell them and when we processed their claim each received over 1K more for their claims because their insurance company withheld their proper payment. Home owners are entitled to indemnification of their home and without the proper representation they typically settle for much less than their actual value. Call it a scam if you want because it's not Metro scamming consumers it's insurance companies saving money to pay their investors instead of their clients paying their high premiums.

• Th
      5th of Jun, 2012

The thing about Metro is that each Public Adjuster is an independent contractor, so they work for themselves under the umbrella of Metro Public Adjustment. The people that didn't get their money or were giving the run around had a bad adjuster. Some people shouldn't let one bad experience ruin them for life. However, first impressions are major things and those people shouldn't have done that to you. I can see both sides.

• Sk
      26th of Jul, 2012

I answered one of their ads for "inspectors wanted". Funny how the office was in a "basement level" . Listened to their preso and decided to investigate a bit now that i actually know the name of the company I was considering applying for. Gut feeling tells me to stay away from them. They make money by hiring as many people as they can to get more claims in. So as a new hire, you have to make three claims to get your training completed, plus for every house you go in they want 8 contacts from the prospective client. So imagine recruiting ten people a week, that's 30 claims from the new trainees, plus 240 new contacts to solicit for insurance claims. No wonder they are trying to recruit new hires like the army. (some call this a pyramid scheme but the correct term for these type of companies that are "legitimate" is MULTI LEVEL MARKETING - same thing in my book) Now I can't comment on whether or not their business is legitimate or not, there are just as many good and bad experiences out there on these boards, and I am sure they have helped many and not helped just as many. But I would say any business that wants me to recruit all of my family and friends as prospective clients just to get started does not make me comfortable to work for. In addition, they are providing the information you need to pass the test after taking the orientation and one training session. That's gonna make me a knowledgeable inspector to spot what the insurance adjustors try to hide??? maybe but I find that hard to swallow. Like anything it sounds like its what you make of it. if you are a fast talking sales person type, you might do well here if you don't mind giving up 8 of your friends and family to get started. Don't think its for me. BY the way i had a personal experience with a public adjustor for a flooded house not too long ago (not this firm). My experience was horrible as all he did was send in his own cleaning crew and probably got a cut from it. he never was able to get me a penny

24th of Sep, 2017

@skeptical42 Anyone who thinks that Multi Level Marketing, ie. AVON, HERBALIFE, AMWAY to name 3 of the most successful MLM companies, is the same as a Pyramid scheme is a [censor] who does no research himself/herself. It's all about the product that is being sold and now how the compensation plan works. EVERY Insurance company and brokerage firm in America has their newbies contacting EVERYONE they know. This has nothing to do with MLM, but it certainly sounds like the author of this essay knows nothing that he/she is talking about.

• Bu
      3rd of Oct, 2017

@kennyrogers428 Amway? Legit? Hahahahah!! And I see you have nothing better to do than belittle people who don't buy the scam. So, to make money, I have to ask a homeowner to provide information on 8 other homeowners? SCAM. Wait 6 months or more for a paycheck? SCAM. Pay for anything (except a state license) to get a job? SCAM. Are they paying you to rebut every negative review? Sign me up, now that's easy money...

• Ta
      29th of Nov, 2017

@Bud Humelsine I can see where you're coming from with this but I don't agree. The people at metro are independent contractors and commission only, with no benefits through the company - sick time, vacation etc. Here's how the percentage structure works. Metro takes 35% of small claims, which other adjusters won't do, because they're not profitable. From that percentage the first adjuster gets 20%, their "upline" get's 10%, then metro get's 5%. For the "upline", the recruit and train new adjusters who operate under their license to get the required amount of claims to become licensed themselves. I can see how you would think this is a scam because it's an outdated company and any kind of percentages that are kicked to the top are confused with a pyramid scheme. Here's what I would say to you, look at the alternative. Someone starts a company, or a large company hires a worker, and pays them the minimum that they can in order to maximize profits for their company. They pay the minimum benefits, because that's the bottom line in business, the less you pay the more you charge the more you profit. Metro is a bunch of older people, it's an underdeveloped infrastructure with little top down control. That's why it could be a lot of things depending on who you're talking to, but I don't believe it's a scam. Insurance companies will try to pay nothing or as little as possible on homeowners insurance claims. People believe that if they use their homeowners insurance they're breaking the law, and that their insurance premiums will rise as a result as a form of punishment for their bad behavior! But that's the exact opposite, you've bought a product, if something happens to your house you're covered and it's illegal for insurance companies to raise your premiums as a result. If you want to look at an industry that may be a scam I'd suggest taking a look at Insurance Companies, they spend all the premiums on marketing to establish themselves as the trusted authority, but whenever something happens they will authoritatively come to your burnt down damaged home and tell you no. Like the wise and knowing parental figures they've established themselves to be. It's, [censor]. Do the math and find out if the 35% percent is going to be worth it for you.

• Re
      17th of Jun, 2018

@skeptical42 Sounds like sour grapes to me. Hope you can find a company that doesn't market it's goods or services. But if you do be prepared to be looking for work again as marketing is the life blood of most businesses.

30th of Dec, 2018

@kennyrogers428 It is so surprising to read this since most real estate offices have a similar model however I don't read any skeptical writings about that. What about those with a Stanley Steamer franchise? One has to market their services in the same way. I believe these comments are from folks that do better being told what to do and given daily tasks and not geared toward marketing a service.

• Sk
      27th of Jul, 2012

Vmeyers

you wrote " when we processed their claim each received over 1K more for their claims because their insurance company withheld their proper payment. "

So for arguments sake, lets say the homeowner had a $5, 000 dollar claim - You just got them 2k more for a total of $7, 000. Great job. but Whats the commision rate Metro gets from the Client? anything over 30 percent is of no benefit to the homeowner, in fact they would be coming home with less than their original 5K at that rate.

• Je
      17th of Oct, 2012

Metro requires that every adjuster abides by strict state requirements. In every state which adjusters allowed, by state law they must pass an insurance adjusters process which includes training, due diligence, and state licensing. This is a very regulated industry.There is nothing illegal when a insurance company are made to process their claims fairly which Metro ensures. Most insurance companies rip off their clients during the claims process. Metro just makes sure they pay what they are supposed to pay. If there is no issue and the claim is fairly assessed Metro will not pursue are rebut the fair claim. Many Metro adjusters have done claims on behalf of the insurance companies before becoming members or were contracted out by insurance companies to assess property damages before becoming members. The transition is simple all you need to do is pass the adjusters exam if you're an insurance agent the training is the same. There are also many former insurance agents which have handle the claims that are now members. Usually the claims are reopened by Metro to ensure the claims were fairly assessed in the first place. There are no upfront fees its a win win for the client and for Metro if they are able to help. How ever I do not like their recruiting methods from an employer stand point. The company is legit and works in the behalf of the client that's how they make money. There are not many companies out there that do this and insurance companies are not fans of Metro and I suspect are writing most of these negative post. Most policy holders just don't know. I suggest you further research the company and verify with the state and make sure everything is on the up and up if you are concerned. One more not there are many arrogant members of Metro, but they are legit.

24th of Sep, 2017

@Jerrad Tinsley Very well said. Too many people bashing the Adjusters. I'm sure their are bad apples who make promises that they shouldn't...hmmm, Attorneys or Real Estate Brokers, or Stock Brokers never make "promises"that do not come true. The company has been around for 20 years so they are legit. Some people just don't like MLM

1st of Feb, 2018

@kennyrogers428 OK./.. so I am going to let a Metro adjuster who was hired off craigslist into my home. What insurance experience do they have. What knowledge of claims and policies can they know. Training? reading a book? laughable. They are going against season insurance company adjusters. Why in gods name would anyone hire Metro instead of a experienced adjusting firm ? And by the way Most if not all NJ Public Adjusters charge 10%

30th of Dec, 2018

@SandraESQ Insurance company seasoned adjuster??? - Well yes, they are seasoned, trained to see what the inexperienced home owner points out to them. Not to document the full extent of the damage. Folks these people are trained for and work for the insurance company to mitigate the loss. They do not need to be licensed by the state or even pass a test. "Why in gods name would anyone hire Metro instead of a experienced adjusting firm" Interesting - and kennyrogers428 is an expert in what again???? Just sayin...

7th of Aug, 2013

I went for the "orientation" yesterday. I had a really hard time understanding the woman on the phone so I was very skeptical going in because I literally had no idea what I was going to hear. It wasn't in a basement. it was in a nice hotel meeting room so I started to feel a little "ok" when I got there. While waiting for the presentation to start, they showed a movie about how horrible State Farm is and how they mislead their clients in their policies so when it's time to make a claim, they don't get nearly whats needed for repairs. It was upsetting and I thought, "OK, maybe this job will help these people out" Then the "executive vice president" starts talking...a mile a minute...impossible for me to take in anything he's saying and trying desperately to write down notes. And to add to the frustration, he had an annoying illuminated pointer that he would randomly point at the screen with. About 30 minutes of rushing through slides, spewing how much everything costs and I STILL don't know what exactly my role would be. I understand that a fee is involved to take a state exam, but all the other fees?...
    He tells us to write down any questions we might have so we can discuss it with the rep who invited here...for me..the woman who I can't understand! I'm left scratching my head and feeling even more confused. While waiting to "try" to talk to this woman, the EVP comes up to me and asks if I have any questions. "why yes, TONS"! First off, why is it that if State Farms is unwilling to give a home owner what is needed to repair their home and they are dealing with them directly, how is it possible I can?
    From what I got out of it, - they RAPE the insurance companies with their over inflated reports. ie: If a piece of siding is torn off your house, the ENTIRE side will need to be replaced because "it won't look right". If the siding color isn't available, the ENTIRE house will need to be resided! I'm a homeowner and I think this is CRAZY!
    Also, quoting Skeptical42 "As a new hire, you have to make three claims to get your training completed, plus for every house you go in they want 8 contacts from the prospective client. So imagine recruiting ten people a week, that's 30 claims from the new trainees, plus 240 new contacts to solicit for insurance claims"
    I understand that any new business venture requires time and attention, but they DO NOT make this clear at all. He spewed through this information so fast, I had actually forgotten about it until I read the above comment.
    I'm pissed that there is such a sucky, sleazy group of people out there. I lost 2 hours of my time at my FT job to go to this orientation of ###.

6th of Jun, 2017

@Jaitermom You had a bad rep i on the other hand have a good one hes decent

• Da
      3rd of Sep, 2013

I paid the $40 fee to get started with Metro. I was hard up for a job. next came a million stupid email about being Positive and Being an achiever kinda quotes. These people suck a Grammerrrr and speeeeling.

@daviodeliisq1 You do

• Pr
      5th of Mar, 2014
    Metro Public Adjustment - The ENTIRE COMPANY
    Metro Public Adjusters

THIS WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD in a service industry field. It is bad enough that you have to go through a property loss whether it be water, fire, smoke, etc damage. We were referred to this service by a trusting friend and felt from our initial conversation and promises that it was the best way to go. TOTALLY WRONG. They do not communicate with you, they lie out of their teeth especially when called out about mistakes they have made and THEY NEVER did any work that even deemed appropriate for the money that we had to pay them, and now we dont have enough to complete our work in our home because of them. We were told if we hired them it would be a hassle free experience and we would end up with more money to do the work and I worked my butt off stressed out the whole time because of these people. THey are fraudulent, no good people and I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS
    COMPANY TO ANYONE...in fact I hope they fail.

@PRETTY PISSED One bad apple should not ruin it

3rd of Nov, 2017

@PRETTY PISSED And how much money did you receive? A woman in my office had a fire and her insurance delayed so long she was foreclosed on. So how much did her insurance company have to pay?? Nothing however they earned over $500K they didn't have to pay out. Fire claims are time consuming and difficult. Again, I notice this person never mentions their non-taxable cash received ...

• Li
      25th of Mar, 2014

Fist off I replied to an add on Craigslist, Should have been a flag right there, but you never know right. it said something about Home inspections, in which I was thinking I would be doing something like those guy's on Fake TV do when you go and make sure the tenants are not trashing the place., so I met the Sales Rep yesterday afternoon, Very well dressed clean cut, well spoken. He pulls out that flip chart book, and right there I thought Great Scamway here we go again. After talking for over an hour with him explaining the details it all sounded good. I just don't see paying them money to take classes and bothering people to join a Pyramid Scam. That is all this is. I am just going to email the guy back and say no thanks.

27th of Apr, 2014

I signed on as a rep a few months ago, and my response would be - yes - there IS a focus on recruiting and downline/.multi level production. That's part of their business model, but if you don't care to participate in it (as I don't), you can still make a substantial part time income. You DO have to prospect - it's not sales, as they don't SELL anything, but there is a sales aspect to it in that you need to make people aware of the service you provide so that if/when they have need of your services, they know who to call. I've been in sales in various industries, and working your 'sphere of influence', ie, friends and family, is Sales 101. (Mary Kay? Realtors? Insurance sales? Anyone starting their own business?)

No, you are certainly not qualified to evaluate claims right out of the gate, but that's not your function. The position they recruit for is the for the reps to 'bird dog' - tell people about what they do and, when they find a claim, pass it on to a QUALIFIED field rep. Becoming a Field Rep is a position they offer if/when you are qualified and undergo significant training.

Yes, it WILL take longer to get a claim settled - but that only makes sense. Think about it: the insurance company does what they want if you don't involve anyone. So it settles faster. You try and get them to pay more, they fight it. There are BOOKS on the subject (delay, Deny, Defend - Feinman). The insurance company's objective is to make it as difficult as possible to get a claim settled for a dime over what they have to.

Is Metro a steady paying job? No. But is it a scam? No. It's a commission based position, with a multi-level aspect that you can choose to participate in or not.

24th of Sep, 2017

@dogsnicecream Very well said. Everyone listens to the projections about how much you can make, but you expect to earn it how??? They have a service that they are selling and a business model that allows you to earn money on your down line. MLM is not the same as a Pyramid Scheme for the imbeciles who keep saying that. If you want to make the kind of money that they are talking about, you need to build your down line. If you don't want to, DON'T. You are a 1099 employee. Work part time and make a couple thousand extra every month. People will ask you what you are doing to make extra money and you become an MLMer. Just believe in your product or service.

4th of May, 2014

First, Florida did a report on public adjusters and what the do. According to http://www.oppaga.state.fl.us/MonitorDocs/Reports/pdf/1006rpt.pdf it was found having a public adjuster file a claim on your behalf averaged about a 574% payout than you doing it alone. If you do not want to read through the whole report that statement is the first paragraph on page 8. Please, feel free to look it up. Second, Metro has a limit of what they are willing to put in for a homeowner. I had a claim that was less than $2000. The Metro agent explained to me how to present it to the insurance company, but said with their fee it would not benefit me to use them. He did give me his card for anything else that may come up.

Second, the legitimate attorneys office I work for advertises for receptionist on craigslist. If you are going to knock people hiring from craigslist why are you looking at their job section to begin with?

So, after the great feeling I got from them I decided to try the business out. I am still new. The guy training me is great. He is an ex cop and extremely adamant about making sure everything is legal. Insurance fraud is huge and they say no matter what, m be legit.

24th of Sep, 2017

@jadedady I have recruited many employees on Craigslist. Let's see now; no fees and large readership. Can't imagine why I would not advertise on Craigslist. We are not talking about Ivy League School type of jobs are we? I have been in sales for 40 years. Believe in the product or you will fail. The business model is just how you get paid. Even a Car Dealership that I ran paid on going bonuses to employees who brought other good employees to the company. 574% .. Thanks for that link

• He
      14th of Jan, 2016

I only wasted a 1/2 hour of my time because after the first presentation I walked out. When I arrived I asked, is this an actual paid job or is it commission? The man said I would receive pay. He lied. After I heard the red flag words- your business, referrals, and $ 40.00 fee I knew it was a scam. And when I started to ask questions relating to the previous sentence the presenter would not answer. He said my questions would be answered when I talked to my rep. Yeah right. I got up and left. I felt sorry for the people that stayed.

3rd of Nov, 2017

@heifk I am sure you did not hear this is a paid position. Do you think real estate agents are paid by the hour?? If so your experience is narrow and one can imagine why your hope for an hourly wage was based. It is presented as a part time position with training provided. This is the only adjusting firm in the area that takes the time to train people.

• Wa
      5th of Feb, 2016

I entered into an agreement with Metro Public Adjusters to represent me in my PA home insurance claim. I was told by the sales representative that if Metro couldn't get me 35% or more on my initial claim from my insurance company they would "walk away" and I would owe nothing. As soon as the ink on the contract was dried, I didn't hear from my adjuster after he came to review my damage. Once my insurance adjuster saw the damage, an estimate was made which until I HAD to contact MY INSURANCE COMPANY to receive it Metro did absolutely nothing. No estimate from Metro for my repairs but instead a letter and check (my insurance company's estimate) which instructions for me to send to my bank and then to Metro to satisfy their 35% fee. I never sent the check to my bank (mortgagor holder) nor did I sign Metro's release statement. Metro sent my account to a collection agency which filed a complaint with our local Magistrate. I won the case against the collection agency's attorney and the collection agency appealed which went to the Court of Common Pleas. I hired an attorney and won that case as we;;.
    Due your due diligence. They are not worth hiring. They need to be put out of business.

• Ni
      3rd of Apr, 2018

@walt 1 I'm in the same position has you. I just received my check along with the detailed statement from my insurance company. They want me my loan holder to sign them send it to them. Long story short. The estimates are wrong because metro never mentioned my ceiling that got damaged was asbestos. So I am now getting estimates from other companies cause the repairs will be much higher. I have not endorsed the checks yet. How did you get out of the contract?? My email is [protected]@aol.com I would love any help

• Ta
      9th of Feb, 2016

I used Metro when I had a claim and loved them. I would have gotten taken advantage of from my insurance company but metro helped me with my claim. I highly recommend them and I did my research, they are ALL state licensed to adjust claims and are highly educated to deal with all types of residential and commercial insurance. I used them a few months ago and will definitely use them again in the future if needed!

• Ri
      9th of Jul, 2016

This is an honest business that has been the leading public adjuster since 1996. Yes, some of the recruiters use stupid ta tactics. You have to find the honest ones. This is not an employee 9-5. Just like many other independent based companies (Mary Kay, Aavon, etc.) This is not for the lazy people who expect opportunities handed to them. And the best thing, there are State laws and regulations and complete finger printing bonding and licensure processes that regulate. I was lucky enough to find one of their most amazing recruiters (I am throwing out his name), George Melo. You have food onea and you have bad ones. You can ALWAYS contact their corprate office to file a complaint. Corporate does not designate where recruiters keep their offices because recruiters are independent. ... It is an exciting opportunity and for anybody to say otherwise, I can only assume they did not want to put any effort into their business. Get facts first before submitting complaints. I have been a consumer advocate in the construction field for years. I joined so I can add another good service to my clientbase. Lazy mentality will not suceed but will be quick to complain. I have yet to see any of the negative as people have mentioned.

• Ju
      14th of Mar, 2017

I JUST walked out of meeting. Found this blog during meeting. It's a complete waste of time. Watched "60 minutes" for the first 20 min about how insurance companies rip off consumers, then some bozo gets up there. Didn't even let him get into it. I'm glad a saw this blog, and walked straight outa there. ###. Gosh.

3rd of Nov, 2017

@JuanTonome The point made by the "60 Minutes" program was how people have been so defrauded by the Insurance Companies they were unable to repair their homes. The show can be watch in full on Youtube and the conclusion states nothing different. Its 5 years and people are still unable to move back into their homes. For you this was a waste of time. For people that are defrauded after a catastrophic loss, their lives are ruined unless the get help; if their case is large enough - an attorney will help themt but more often than not these cases are too small and only a public adjuster can help. Each week another house that was lifted falls into the ground due to the failure of the homeowner receiving enough money to install a new foundation. Helping people with these issues, I gather, was not appealing to you. I agree its not for everyone. I lost everything in Sandy and I know.

• Ju
      29th of Jun, 2017

I had a huge leak in my basement, and the insurance company said they don't cover any flood damage and an insurance adjuster came and said we can give you $800 and the suggested a horrible contractor ended up being way worse, i thought i was screwed and had to end up paying almost 7000 in repairs, my friend suggested a public adjuster i had never heard of them before. They explained everything they do and everything they help with including not having to talk to insurance anymore during that claim. It was a damn relief because they gave me so many issues, and my insurance company never called. Then i had another guy come and check more thoroughly and he said we can help. After they put in a claim, a little over 3 months i get a check for 11, 000 and then i send the check to them, they get there cut and eneded up with over $8000 i fixed everything using only $4800 and still $3200 to play with, another great thing i can use whatever contractor i chose. I was more than happy with my experience, and i wouldn't mind doing that for a side job, that is why i looked into it, and was surprised to find some of these comments.

• Jv
      24th of Jul, 2017

I am most of the way through a claim handled by Metro. They do not communicate as well as they could. A simple internal claims coordinator position might clear that up nicely. Or if my assigned adjuster would respond a bit better to emails. As to the results, so far three insurance checks have come through, made out jointly to my wife and I and to Metro PA. We cosigned and returned them to Metro the very next day. Within a week our share came back to us via check from Metro. They handled everything with the insurer. I really did not expect much from insurance. After the first check, then came another, and another. This was all over a roof failure that led to attic mold. Then during re-roof and re-sheath, it turned out more sheathing panels were bad than originally estimated. Then a mold remediation firm was needed to deal with mold on the gable walls. That was Green Home Solutions and I highly recommend them. That's how we got to three claims - original ($12000), more sheathing (another 4000) and then mold remediation (another $1600. . One reason my claims are moving along nicely is probably that I had the cash in the bank to fund these repairs without having to wait for insurance or Metro. The insurers need to see a signed contract for the repairs, a proof of loss form, and evidence the repair was done (photos). That allows Metro to get the insurance money moving.