Merchant Technical Solutions / Fraudulent Charge

Slammed a ridiculous monthly charge on my Discover merchant account without proper authorization. Discover refused to do anything about it, and called the company a "partner"

Mi

More Merchant Technical Solutions Complaints & Reviews

Comments

19th of Feb, 2009

Speaking as an EX-employee of the company contracted to MAKE these calls,
I would like to answer a few of your questions.

Here's the bottom line...

They ARE legal.

Here's why...

They called your business (which THEN becomes a BUSINESS TO BUSINESS call - NOT covered under ANY Do Not Call List...and you (or someone who could be legally defined as an "agent" of the company)DID give VERBAL consent on a RECORDED line.

Period.

The company has three divisions...one that "fronts" the call - gets you on the line...one that then "closes" you - (and makes the recorded verbal reciept they DO have on record...) and the last division is there SOLELY to police the first two.

If the recording was made wrong...or isn't legally binding enough that it could last in court - it is
termed a "kick-out" and the rep that closed the call is not paid.

Now you may THINK you gave verbal recorded permission to accept the service and charge - but you did.
Either YOU or an "agent" of your BUSINESS which AGAIN - is NOT the same as calling a residential phone.

In other words - what you did is analogous to someone hurrying you through a contract signing while you are obviously busy and distracted...who's fault is it when your signature appears at the bottom?

Exactly.

The cost and process of fighting or contesting the charges is so inconvenient that the VAST majority of people simply want the charges STOPPED.

And it is ALL legal. No sh*t.

I have seen people fired DAILY for "not sticking to the script" that binds you to being charged.

It is NOT a scam.

It is simply a worthless service that you agreed to pay for - kind of like most insurance policies, or credit card offers, or bank fees.

So - fool you once - shame on you.

I was in the business for 10 years as one of the best.

I not ONCE lied, cheated, or stole.

I just knew how to shine a turd.

The public likes a glib offer...pitched in an entertaining way.

Bl
  8th of Jul, 2009

It's interesting that this person uses technical "legality" to justify this behavior. I'm sure what's happened in the credit market and on Wall Street was all technically "legal" as well. I bet what Enron was doing with their accounting was technically legal... until the bottom feel out. My company has just been a victim of this scam, and make no mistake whether it's a legal or illegal scam, it's a scam nonetheless. He should know how to shine a turd- he worked for one for 10 years, and you don't shine a turd for 10 years without a bunch of it rubbing off on you. I'm glad he's found ways to justify his behavior in order to look in the mirror everyday. See what I'm doing right now? I'm actually belittling someone and questioning their character, but "legally" I'm only just using my first amendment rights! So it's all good!

Ib
  16th of Nov, 2009

You can get all your money back from Merchant Technical Services by simply stating you are calling the attorney general. Your first offer will be one month, then six months and finally they will refund all money after keeping on hold. When dealing with the company make sure to mention that their company has been reported as a scam all over the Internet and you are aware of how they trick people into service. Answer yes for a trial automatically gives them permission to bill your account until caught by someone. The bill looks like a merchant service so it is easily disguised and could be missed.

Don't let them get away with stealing your money. Fight back and get a refund.

St
  25th of Jan, 2010

This happened to me too! I'm a independant contractor hair stylist. We have our own merchant numbers. Peoples Health Express, who is a "partner company" with Discover, called the salon and got the owner, who is not authorized on my account, to say yes to them send her information and yes, to that was her name. They then took those yes answers and did some creative editing into a recording that gave them unauthorized permission to steal money out of my account! I made them play the recording for me. That has to be illegal!

I disputed this at the bank and got my money back that day! Peoples Health Express told me that I couldn't get my full refund for 30 days, and that my bank couldn't do anything, which is a lie! 30 days is, coincidentally, how long you have to dispute this at your bank, before they can't get your money bank. Disputing this will also block Discover from taking their charges out.

I then called Discover to discuss my account issues. They defended their "partner company". So, I closed my account. I also reported this to the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission. I hope that other people will do this as well.

Regardless, of what that man said, who is obviously brainwashed, this is a scam! Editing a recording to gain unauthorized access to someone's account is illegal!!!

29th of Jan, 2010

I just got scammed as well. I deliberately told them I did not need their services because I already had internal services so obviously did not need theirs. The only thing I said yes to is my name, address, etc. I was polite enough to hear their speal and even answered that I did have credit cards and even the names of the credit card I used most. With that they had plenty of ammunition to make my recording sound like I authorized a monthly fee on one of those credit cards! Thankfully it is an American Express and they have this vendor on a fraudulent watch list under 5 company aliases and told me that those charges would be removed and an alert would be put on the account not to accept any charges in the future under any circumstance!
Warning! If you ever get a call from Merchant Services, Merchant Technical Services, United Marketing Merchants, or any company similar to that who offers monthly technical services, simply say, "I am not interested but thank you anyway and do not let them say anything else - hang up!

Wh
  10th of Mar, 2010

This guys got us through our AT&T service. Same strategy of getting the person's name who authorized the service.
Funny how they could just easily market this without proper verification of the authorize person.

Aw
  5th of Oct, 2010

I recently discovered a monthly charge to our Discover merchant account imposed by this company. My assistant (who has no authority to commit to any purchases for the company) received a phone call from someone with the company describing their service. She declined the service, but they had enough information (from Discover?) to start charging the account. There is no way to prove our position, of course, because they claim that my assistant said she did have authority to commit. So, it's our word against theirs.

I called and spoke to one lady who explained she could only give 6 months credit back to me. At first, I accepted that. A few minutes later, I called back and asked to speak with her supervisor and was connected to Tom Sullivan at ext. 26025. He has the authority to issue full refunds, which he said he would do. We'll see if the refund is issued.