Menards / Why did I agree to work for such a place?

I am currently a cashier at Menards. I have never seen such poor customer service by my superiors. For example...

It was around 6:50 or so on a Sunday night (keep in mind Menards closes at 7 on Sundays) I was helping a guest in my line who wanted to special order something from plumbing, I told her the store closed in about 10 minutes and that maybe she should come back the next day, however, she lived about an hour away. I called the FE manager up to have her contact the Plumbing manager to help this guest.

So the plumbing manager came and she went back with him and left her cart in my aisle.

I had a very long line and I was the only cashier, so I wasn't paying attention to this lady's cart. Eventually she came back with her special order after this she asked where her cart was. Sympathetically I told her I didn't know where it was but I said that maybe my manager moved it.

So, I called my manager to my aisle and the guest calmly asked her if she had moved her cart.

My manager freaks out and says "Look lady I didn't touch your cart!" I look at her like what the heck are you thinking talking to a customer like that!

Well after my manager walked away we found her cart, and the guest told me that she would never be shopping at Menards again.

Every time I work I have at least 15 guests tell me that they will never shop at Menards again.

Everyone who works at Menards is generally always in a bad mood, and it *** because when I walk into a store I want to be greeted with a smile and a "how can I help you?" at Menards it is the TOTAL opposite!

I would recommend to anyone reading this to take there business elsewhere like Lowes or Home depot, hopefully they have better costumer service.

Whenever anyone asks me where I work I am ashamed to say that I work at Menards.

I am so happy that I have a job interview tomorrow so I can quit the sh!thole that they call a store.

Don't count on saving big money, I would recommend saving your time!

Ok

Comments

• Me
      15th of Feb, 2009

I'm sorry that you had such a terrible experience working for Menards, I have been with the company for over three years without a problem. I started out as a cashier just like you and I am now an assistant front end manager. I wonder what store you worked at because I have also worked at two stores both in the chicago area and both stores are great with customer service.

• Lo
      26th of Feb, 2009

Rule number one Okkay!! Take care of the guest. Talk about giving guest service, you told the guest to come back tomorrow. Let me tell you that is great guest service ###. If you would have done your job properly there would not have been this problem in the first place. Congrats on getting a new job where your going to tell them to shop some where else because they are wasting there time where ever you are at.

• Fr
      25th of Dec, 2014

@LockJawCowboy Your a tool and a loser for thinking Menards is a great job! What are you talking about? Where do you come up with your rants? I have read several of your other posts, and I would like to ask how do you know the person's work ethic and job performance? Where you personally there to witness this? I doubt it and your making false assumptions. So, stop ### at people for stating the truth that Menards sucks to work for and treats employees like ###. For the record, I have a better career as a scientist that treats you as human being and is more challenging then working at this dead end job.