Menards / Awful place to work in

United States Review updated:
1.8
Menard's inc. is a HORRIBLE place to work the don't care about their guest or there team members they care about making money like the rest of America, so tell Menard's to stop ling in all there advertisements about caring about quality and service. They are full of s***, they force you to stay after they close and clean even when your schedule off at a time and tell you u cant leave until u finish. They wont let you take lunch unless u stay an extra half hour to make up for you taking a lunch. The owners of Menard's are piece of *** and need to learn how to help and take care of their employees Menard's inc. is a sweet shop of modern day. I hope Menard's goes out of business soon. and john and Larry Menard have to live on the street. Menard's *** and Larry and john r going to *** for their greed and how they treat people!
Va

Comments

Mr
  20th of Oct, 2008
Best Best Advice Agree Disagree +10 Votes
I second this. I hate the ###ing place. Treated like ### and people that shop there treat us like ###.
Be
  20th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +6 Votes
Well you know what they say on Karma, payback comes sooner or later...I was hurt 8 yrs. ago and pretty much hung out to dry, John Menard and his managers put me under even kept my earned Profit sharing, have been living in next to poverty not able to work full time or even Pt after they payed attorneys to change injurys in court, ended up on ssdi living on 1/4 on what I was earning.It was shown in ssi hearing with University Drs. with there own menards Dr. Records that they "were" work injurys .I live daily taking pain pills and now stomach meds. I pretty much lost my marrige even though I am still here they only thing I have left is my dogs and half the home I am in...so this economy is like natures payback for me..every bit of stock and stores he looses is like 5 minutes of the life they took from me...
  26th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree -12 Votes
I've been here for 15 years and have never had a problem. Obviously the problem is with you. If you had any type of work ethic, you would get along just fine. Its people like you that think Menards, and anywhere else you will ever work, owes you something. They gave you a job, prove that you deserve it.
El
  16th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree -12 Votes
I agree with the above comment. I have worked there for 1 1/2 years and have NEVER had any problems whatsoever. I get the hours I request, I get the days off I request, my managers are very understanding of my school schedule. If I have to stay late (tonight I had to stay a half hour late to process a return) I just think of it as more money in my pocket. If you have a good work ethic, you will do just fine. Menard's isn't like other places...you actually have to work when you go to work there!
Lo
  26th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree -11 Votes
I have been with Menards for about 8 years. You say that they treated you like crap, I find that hard to believe unless of course you were being helped by the lady who posted below you. Everyone at Menards has one objective everyday. That objective is to help the guest and make sure that they are happy with their purchase and continue to shop at Menards. As for the guy who is complaining about haveing to stay a half hour late. Your the reason people have to stay late, because you are too busy crying that you actually have to do something then actually doing it and getting it done. Your getting paid, its not like your putting up your own time for nothing. Menards is more than a paycheck, it teaches you responsibility and the value of a good work ethic. It teaches the importance to got the extra mile not just for the guest but for yourself. I wouldn't expect you to understand that because you like many other people think that everyone owes you something instead of you proving yourself to someone else. Your scared!!
Mc
  3rd of Dec, 2016
Agree Disagree +7 Votes
@LockJawCowboy Dude, you crack me up. You seriously must be delusional if you think Menards is such a great job. Menards is by far the worst job I have ever had! Most of the people who make Menards their "career" are lazy workers who know how to kiss-up to the right manger so they can do the bear minimum, their too lazy to find a worthwhile career, and/or let the profit sharing and the bonuses trap them. I admired the culture of hard work at Menards, but the overall talent level of the company is lacking. Anyone that is a decent employee only stays to get the minimum experience to move on to a better company, quits for a better job, or works at getting a college degree to better themselves. Unlike what LockJawCowboy says, most of the complaints that you see here are valid and these workers are NOT LAZY. In truth, Menards is a disorganized hell-hole that acts unprofessional toward employees and doesn't give them the training or tools to succeed. Favoritism and verbal abuse from both co-workers and customers runs wild at this place. Whether you have a good work ethic or not, managers promote and give out the best schedules and more hours to ones who know how to kiss-### the best over someone's qualifications and their work performance. I think your the one that is scared to move on to a "grown-up" career like I did. I'm glad I got a college degree, so I don't have to make this "dead-end retail job" as my career. The company I work for now is a complete 180 of this place and I couldn't be happier working there.
Mc
  11th of Dec, 2016
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
@MC15 Also, letting the employees that you cannot count on continue to pick up a paycheck while you're working the ones that you can count on will only leave you with employees that you can't count on. The company is hurting for people all over given the ridiculously high turnover rate. My advice to Menards is that they should focus on fixing their current issues & look at the operations of a similar successful employer (i.e. Costco) and mimic that.
De
  3rd of Aug, 2017
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
@LockJawCowboy Earn you keep, "Upper Management. Straight fact! Menards is crap in totality.
Ka
  4th of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree +9 Votes
Menards hires people to surf the web and prevent any bad publicity. They even own menardssucks.com.
Most of what you see here are the uppers trying to put down the complaint. But the complaint is true. They treat their employees HORRIBLY. They even make you sign a contract stating you will pay them if you cause damages for more than 500. Which is not legal in wisconsin but they dont tell you that. Even if you sign it, since the contract is against the law the contract is not valid so the excuse "you signed it" doesnt even work.

Menards also is known to dump haz waste, or burn treated wood, and will rather pay the DNR the fine then dispose of it. Dont belive me? Look it up, theres been cases on it.
Fo
  4th of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree +9 Votes
I completely agree that Menard's is highly unfavorable towards its employees. Don't get me wrong, I'm a very hard worker and have a solid work ethic. The fact is that Menard's essentially trains its higher-ups to find ways to scam the most money out of guests (customers) and overwork team-members (employees). And, as you can see, they sugarcoat it. There are complex ### procedures that you basically bar employees from ever attaining fair pay and conditions at work.

Although I'm a head cashier now, I started out as a carry-out, and believe me, they get the worst of it. Most of the labor-intensive stuff, or the duties that none of the other departments want to do is directed towards carryouts. There's so much to do in a shift that you have to rush to complete your job, and then department managers get angry if you make a mistake. For example, Carry-outs do returns for the entire store, which means about 200-250 a day. They, even though they are at the bottom of the totem pole, have to know where everything in the entire store is.

A few years back, when I was carry-out, I misplaced a pack of screws. A few days later a customer tried to buy them and complained that the price was wrong. In less than five minutes we had it sorted out, but the guest filed a complaint, and I was nearly fired.

The bottom line is that Menard's is nothing but a spiteful web of greed and blame, with a filthy-rich spider slavering right in the middle.
  24th of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree +4 Votes
I work at Menards and find it pretty difficult to tolerate. Many kids who are "playing" boss ordering me around. I have two managers but it seems the kids who have been there a month or two are the people running my dept. I will probably be forced to insult and embarrass the kids to get them to focus on someone else. I will stick it out a while longer to see how it goes but I can definitely see a "walk out" in my future.
Sa
  6th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree +8 Votes
menards wrties people up for every little mistake you make, and they do force you to stay after your shitfs a lot.
Ma
  29th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree -6 Votes
grow up and work on your work ethic. menards is a good job for someone starting out. they pay well and are pretty good with working out a good schedule for students and part timers.
just stop whining and maybe you'll get ### done faster and not have to stay late.
Ga
  4th of Feb, 2018
@mabaeb You are a PUPPET A MENARDS PUPPET
Ma
  29th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree -12 Votes
oh and by the way... your *'s don't even make sense in your complaint... figure out how many letters are in a word before you start throwing out s***.
  7th of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
i agree with the complaint. my manager sits around talking on the phone for hours and complains that he is bored. Are you fricken kidding me! do some of the jobs on the laundry list of tasks that you gave me. he also has me do the morning paperwork and other jobs that are supposed to be completed by the manager. i am sick of it and will be glad when i get out of there-soon. the only good thing are my coworkers and the special order discount.
El
  31st of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +5 Votes
At this point, I have been there for two years, and I kinda have to agree with what people have been saying here. Management has been going down hill, the employees are getting lazy, and everything seems like a joke to everyone. There are CONSTANT power struggles between managers.

I had one of my managers yell at me because, according to her, we couldn't do a phone-in credit card order, period. Bullsh*t. I had the paperwork filled out and the customer waiting. She just didn't want to call the GM over to approve it, which he happily did without incident. If I hadn't stood up for myself and the guest, we would have lost around $300 in profit and a customer. I'm no saint myself, and I know that the loss of of one customer isn't going to matter, but honestly, when all you have to do is call someone's name over the radio, JUST DO IT!!
De
  10th of Sep, 2009
Agree Disagree +5 Votes
Re
  20th of Sep, 2009
Agree Disagree +6 Votes
To those up above saying they love Menards and blah blah blah, you're tools. I've been there over five years now and can't possibly wait to get another job with my degree due to the complete utter disrespect from superiors ranging from the FEM, to the HR, and even at times the GM. They allow blatant examples of sexual harassment, verbal harassment, and favortism. I was recently called an extremely foul name over the radio and humiliated simply for asking for help at the service desk and after going to the 1 st GM about it I was repremanded for complaining about the superior who had said it to me, which just happens to be against Federal Law. I will agree that this is a good job to have if you're in college or even high school as it'll give you some extra money but as a career it's a complete joke. Most managers who even think of making 45K+ a year are working stupid hours each week that include long, long, long (13 hour a day) weekends as well as averaging 50 hours a week. Yea no thanks. I'd rather work 8-4:30 Monday through Friday with my degree and make the same if not 5K+ more a year and not be harassed and treated like trash by my superiors.
  7th of Nov, 2009
Agree Disagree +7 Votes
I've worked for Menards for a year, and while it's not the worst thing I've done, I can confirm that overall, it is a really terrible job. Managers are condescending and rude - even in front of customers. Training is non-existant except for their "in-home" program where they offload what should be paid on-the-job training, and require you to do it for free in your spare time at home (no thanks). Speaking of home, forget about ever being there if you're a good employee. They'll dump task after task on you until you're living out of your car in the parking lot. My managers routinely put in 55+ hour weeks. As a part-timer, I was told 10-15 hours. I average 30 and have been scheduled as many as 54 despite my protests.

Compensation sucks during the week... barely over minimum wage. They do give a reasonable premium for weekends (and I have to admit that I do love weekly pay checks). Keep in mind that this compensation level was what I got despite having construction experience, two higher degrees, and lots of relevant experience. The ###ed janitor makes as much as I do. The worst part is their "Profit Sharing" pyramid scam. They really push it during interviews as if it'll make up for the lousy hourly wages, but it's idiotic as it's not based on performance, talent, contributions, ability, or any other reasonable metric. It's based solely on time. That means that I might get a bonus of $400 at the end of the year IF I work enough hours to qualify and the store as a whole is profitable. The ###ed janitor, on the other hand, will get a bonus of nearly $6, 000 simply because he's been there pushing a broom around longer than me. I average over $3000 in sales per day worked (roughly $750, 000 in sales this year), and complete hundreds of tasks with a high degree of proficiency, but the ###ed janitor, who frankly sucks at cleaning, is rewarded more simply because of time. What a stupid concept - it's like a built-in pyramid scheme that benefits upper management (since no one else can stand to be there long enough to cash in on the higher bonus levels).

I generally like my customers. Sure, they try to nickle and dime us and get discounts on everything, but all in all, I like them - they're the good part of the job, and the only way I'm able to maintain my sanity. The way the managers treat them is another story. Department managers appear to loathe customers and will do EVERYTHING in their power to disallow returns - even very reasonable returns with receipts and all. It's some of the worst customer service I've ever seen. I would never buy a high dollar item from Menards. If there were anything wrong with it, they would do their best to prevent you from being able to return it - even if they knew about the issue beforehand. Take my advice - buy the big stuff (mowers, power tools, etc) at Lowes. If you have a problem, they'll take care of you.

I am greatly looking forward to quitting my job. I'd love to do it in a storm of fury in the middle of an extremely busy day (maybe black friday). However, I've been taught to not burn my bridges, so I'll probably slip out peacefully with a 2-weeks notice. I've not enjoyed my time there at all, and every person whom I've believed to be a quality employee has moved on to greener pastures. I will soon follow, and I won't miss Menards at all... in any way... none.

P.S. If you do any research into the company, they are led by a group of horrible, polluting, cheating, corrupt, unfeeling individuals who do anything for money, and sue anyone who questions their ways. If the love of money is the root of all evil, that explains the Menards leadership team. There's a way to make good profits in business with ethics and integrity. Menards just doesn't do it that way.
Di
  18th of Nov, 2009
from the store mgr and all staff are completely rude to blacks period
Fa
  14th of Dec, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I was at the Madison WI Menard for 2 year while in college. The management was run by people with no degrees or any knowledge of business what so ever. It was like high school without teachers. They punished people by demoting them then promoting them. It made no sense. They played musical chairs with the staff, so no one knew anyhthing about the department they worked in. It lead to terrible service, which supposedly they strive on. If they didn't like you they fired you, if you were a another race, they didn't hire you or they fired you, if u were late once or twice they fired you. They should go down in hell as the worst corp ever. Why do people even shop there. Its all junk from China and they claim to be an American company .
Au
  23rd of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Whine whine whine boo hoo they treat blacks poorly...get a life ### they are rude to everyone.
Du
  17th of Apr, 2010
they are prob. rude to mexicans, asians, american indians, west indians, and white of european decent. THERE ARE RUDE PEOPLE IN RETAIL. thanks for bring up the "black issue" yet again. (yawn) (this is me being tired of hearing about it!)

Menards Logo Menards