Mcdonalds / charging for condiments

1 15101 US 31 NCarmel, IN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 317-844-4166

We frequently visit this McDonalds and came in this evening for a meal. We placed our order and paid with a credit card. When our order was ready we asked for dipping sauce and were dismayed to find that this McDonalds is now charging $0.11 cents per container for your dipping sauce. This is outrages! What next, are you going to start charging $0.11 cents for a little packet of ketchup or maybe $0.11 cents for a lid or a straw? You are the first and only fast food restaurant I know of that charges for condiments! All I wanted was a couple of containers, in the past I would ask for sauce and your employees would give me several when I only needed one. Instead of penalizing your customers why don’t you train your employees to be more conservative when handing them out.

I can not tell you how upsetting and appalling this is to me and I will be voicing my opinion to everyone who will listen! This will include FaceBook postings to all my friends and discussions around the “free” coffee maker at work on Monday! I also plan to contact the other fast food restaurants in the area and encourage them to advertise that their condiments are still free!

Dismayed Customer

Comments

• Ri
      6th of May, 2007
    McDonalds - Short changing customers

Hey Folks. Just to alert you all who have ever wondered why you only get half a container of french fries with your means these days: McDonalds has as it's official policy "fluff don't stuff" which is short for...

• Bo
      22nd of Nov, 2007
    mcdonalds - rats
    United Kingdom

we where walking past ur resteraunt and we saw 2 rats running around ur car park, this is so discusting annd put me off my food, iam never goin 2 buy anything from your take away resteraunt again!

• Bi
      12th of Mar, 2008

I never get a half container of fries at McDonald's because I never eat that ### thy call food.

• Av
      23rd of Jan, 2009

Okay, calm down. It's 11 cents. This is how sauce policy goes - if someone orders nuggets or selects, they are entitled to sauces. After all that's what the sauces are for (not for fries). A four piece and a six piece get one sauce. A ten piece gets two, and a twenty piece is technically only supposed to get three but I think that's stupid and give four. A three piece select gets one, a five piece gets two, and a ten piece gets three (assuming they choose a select sauce which has bigger containers.) I understand why you're upset about the whole credit card thing - they should have asked you if you would be wanting any sauce and then rang it in with your food. The reason they charge for sauces is because of the people that throw a hissy fit about wanting 13 sweet and sour sauces for their 2 McChickens. If I am remembering a sauce packet costs like 5 cents, but you have to think that for every one packet that is charged for there is always someone that gives out three or four because they don't want to be verbally assualted by the customer. Or the sauces that are dropped on the floor - McDonald's is a business and they are merely trying to recover some loss.
    And by the way - in Spain, you ARE charged for ketchup packets. Point of this - you do not need 20 packets of sauce for your small fry or one McChicken. They are for nuggets and selects only.
    Please do not bite the heads off of employees who are merely trying to do their jobs.

• Th
      24th of Mar, 2009

I was just charged 25 cent for extra tarter sauce on my fish sandwich. I ordered 6 chicken sandwiches without lettuce and 4 cheeseburgers with nothing on them but they didn't give me credit for this. I understand about going over board with asking for an unusual amount of condiments but come on. This has really rubbed me wrong.

• Ha
      30th of Mar, 2009

Bigsmellyman... go ### yourself.

• Di
      10th of Apr, 2009

I, too, was appalled when I was told to pay 16 cents for ONE honey mustard when I ordered my nuggets. One sauce comes with the nuggets but I was told by the STUPID cashier that I had to pay for it. I left without paying and told them to keep the nuggets and I was so outraged I sent a complaint to the corporate office.

• Br
      10th of Apr, 2009

I am outraged by having to pay for wi fi there...geez i spend thousands there a yr and when I am travelin and stop to get a bite I shold be able to access the inet for free for directions on mapquest..

12th of Apr, 2009

This is outrageous...LETS TIP SOMETHING OVER!!!

• Gr
      12th of Apr, 2009

This is pathetic...just don't eat there if you're going to whine about it. It's eleven damn cents and they have every right to make you pay for extras. Maybe, just maybe, you should eat somewhere else and shed a few pounds...especially you Mr. I spend thousands a year there and want free wi-fi. People make me sick, you'd think the employee personally raped each of you by the way you cry over petty change.

• Br
      13th of Apr, 2009

Grow up probley works there!!! Hahaha fat 6'0 tall and 155 is a real big fatass for a chick! Grow up you are under compliants board... not ### board!and i am a chick not a mr... incompetent ###!

• Le
      17th of May, 2009

I ordered a total of 45 Nuggets and a couple other items yesterday. I asked for 2 Honey mustards (not like I asked for a case) I was told to go to the back of the line and order them for .53 cents each. I had not even left the counter w/ my food yet. Why is each McDonalds diffrent in price for condiments and shouldn't the price be included like 1 packet per 5 nuggets or something similar to that no matter what the sauce type is !!!Condiments used to be free I remember them doing this with sweet and sour sauce, ranch (not the salad packets but, the small plastic containers) and a couple others what will be next will be the ketchup and salt. I told them to cancel my order and went to Burger King. I think people should boycot!!! They lost a 30 dollar order over something so silly!!!

• Ro
      23rd of May, 2009

Ok, heres the skinny. They charge for sauce. Get over it. Its McDonalds, not a 5 star steak house. If you want world class service, go elsewhere. If you want something fast and cheap, you're in the right place. And about the free WiFi because you "Spends thousands" there. Give me a break. They charge for WiFi because it is a convenience. You're not entitled to it. Everybody has to pay. Or because you "spend thousands" there shoudl they have your picture plastered behind every cash register at every location around the country just so they all know "Hey, this lady pays our bills, give her whatever she wants for free!" No! Thats not the way the world works. Theres plenty of places that i shop and am loyal to. I don't expect anything extra from them. I spend my money there because they do or have something that i want and i enjoy the service. If you dont like it, go elsewhere. Once again, a sense of entitlement. Pay the damn 11 cents, 54 cents, or whatever it is or go somewhere else if thats that bad for you.

• Le
      24th of May, 2009

It doesn't seem to click w/ certain people that this is a complaint board. Wow!!!?

I'm not saying that I'm not willing to pay for the sauce, I'm saying the price should be included w/ the chicken nuggets even if it's 2 bucks for chicken nuggets instead of 1 dollar and that I should not be sent to the back of the line when I havn't even left the counter yet. I personally do not enjoy McDonalds but, all the kids I take w/ me do (No there not all mine) and I do things for the kids not for myself. Explain to a hungary 3, 4, or 5 yr old that because the McDonalds teenage girl pushed the total button before we were finished telling her what all we needed we have to get the food we just ordered get inline again and wait durring the lunch rush yet again because she refused to get our complete order and your fries will be cold when we set down to eat.

Doesn't have to be a 5 star steak hose to offer condiment here are some that so offer condiments. IHOP, village Inn. black eyed pea, Burger king, Little Caesars, Taco Bell, Lotta Burger, Frizbies, Movie theaters that cell hot dogs offer relish, subway, Mom and Pop diners, and many others.

It isn't just the condiment issues that I have had. There have been many issues and I've just had it. Once I was in the drive thru after the lobby was closed in a 4 door long bed dualy w/ a trailer and I ordered fries, an iced coffee and a chicken sandwich. The girl did not hear the small fries and this McDonalds and light up menu board was not working so I did not see she didn't add the fries and coffee and chicken sandwich adds up to be a bit of $ so I didn't notice the price total was not as much as it should have been. (she didn't repeat my order and it was not the type of items I typically order nor do I memorize the prices plus the drive thru never has the full menu) The girl at the window didn't give me the fries after I paid so I waited and waited finally had to knock on the window because, she was on her cell phone I asked about my fries and she said she didn't charge me for fries so I asked her to please charge me and she told me I'd have to go thru the drive thur again . I told her there was nobody inline behind me she said it didn't matter I'd have to go thru the drive thru (the girl was working both windows) So I don't get what the big deal was about taking my order at that window. I asked to speak to the manager and she said there wasn't one in (I find that really hard to beleive)that's when she asked me to leave and not return. I remained polite the entire time unlike the girl who got snotty about everything, was chewing bubble gum, and on her cell phone.

There have been a LOT more bad experiences...
    neadless to say I will be dissapointing the children and telling them NO McDonalds. Were not the type who eats out a lot but, when we do I have a bunch of kids w/ me and it is a very large order and I like to do what I can for them I honestly think they like to play because it can't be the food, when they occassionally order a salad. I know the next suggestion is the park but, that only works in late May untill late August because, we live where its quiet cold.

22nd of Jul, 2009

i say lets get together and protest mcdonalds. secondly...i will not be going there that much anymore. besides...they are not health conscious anyways and to be honest with you...its just pure greed...all greed.

don't go there anymore.

referring to the mcdonalds at:
    vermont & wilshire 90010,
    los angeles, ca

• Ca
      3rd of Oct, 2009

One night while me and my girlfriend are on our way home; She has a sudden craving (She's Pregnant). So we stop at McDonald's and instead of just getting her craving we decided to order Dinner. So we place our Order

2 McDouble's No Mustard, Extra Onion
    1 6 Piece Nugget w/ Sweet and Sour Sauce
    1 Large Fry
    1 Large Sweet Tea

1 #1 Big Mac Meal
    With Large Cherry Coke

Totaling roughly 12$

First of all, I've been ticked off at McDonald's since the one day out of the blue they started asking for money for extra sweet and sour sauce.. However, most don't ask. So it's hit or miss. This time we pulled up to the window, I asked for an Extra Sweet and Sour Sauce for my McNuggets and Mayonnaise for my girlfriends Sandwhich. I'm then told well they only charged me for one and it would be .30 cents for another.. Well I just paid with my Debit Card, and I don't have change.. I rarely carry money at all on me.. So I told them, never mind I didn't have the change. We got our bag of food, and after being requested to pay for condiments, I surely checked the bag as I'm sure everyone else does to make sure the order is correct. Did I even get the one I had been "charged" for? No. So I wait for them to come back to the window, and tell them.. Can I get the one I'm supposed to get then.. Basically being called a liar.. She says.. "I know I put one in there" with a smug attitude and reluctantly gives me 1 Sauce, and 2 Mayo packages.

It's one thing to force someone to pay for a condiment packet, (Which is what I feel completes my meal) but then coming back with an attitude when you didn't do your job is a completely different story.. McDonald's is no longer, "Made the way you like it".. It's "Made the way we can make money"

I'm only lucky I'm not actually allergic to mustard, because I've bit down on far to many where they don't bother to do the order right. It's either 1. Mexicans who don't understand English, or Teenagers with no work Ethic running this global conglomerate.. Worse thing is, no one will stop going there because it's quick food.

For the price of a single meal; you could feed a family of 2-4.. Can of Tuna, Box of Tuna Helper, even get fancy and add a can of Corn.. It's like 4 bucks. IF THAT.

• Ni
      21st of Dec, 2009

ur such an idiot!! its not $4 to cook that tuna and then wash the dishes and use ur time to make it!! if u want sauce u pay for it, like u do everywhere else!! YOU ARE A SCAB

• Ni
      1st of May, 2010

first of all people. its not the charge that some are pissed about. its the fact that for i dunno 12 years i've been going to mcdonalds off and on and everytime, EVERYTIME, i go there i ask for hot mustard sauce or honey mustard sauce. and EVERYTIME, they have just given it to me, even if i'm NOT ordering nuggets. Then today out of the blue its 32 cents a packet. they can go screw themselves. yes its ONLY 32 CENTS we get that, but its not about the money, its about the f'ing princepal. EVERYONE these days is out to make a buck in one way or another, hell i just got charged 4 friggin dollars because i ordered take out that i PICKED UP at a pizza place on a visa gift card, cause apparently they charge a 20% mandatory tip fee. WHAT IS THAT ABOUT!?!? i picked it up because I DIDNT WANT TO HAVE TO PAY THE TIP!!! its all about money to EVERYONE. how can we weasel more money out of these saps that are willing to pay 7 dollars for a hamburger and fries?????? Its all ridiculous. Dont judge people who are pissed off about this. this isn't something that has been in place for a long time, and NO ONE decided to let the public know, so screw mcdonalds!

• Je
      27th of May, 2010

I ordered a southern style chicken sandwich, and asked for extra pickles; they said I would have to pay for extra, and I said ok. When I got my order, they put ONE extra pickle slice on the sandwich! What a rip off. They offer expensive gut bombs!!!

• Vi
      18th of Jun, 2010

I work at McDonalds in the UK and we HAVE to charge for sauces. I'm just trying to follow my job instructions everyday and I always get harassed by some [censored] who thinks that I am being greedy which results in me having to get a manager to explain that I'm not a liar. Believe it or not, boxes of sauces cost the company about £25 which adds up to around 5p per sauce. We use about a box of each sauce everyday. Losing £100 a day on sauces is ridiculous! Bearing in mind that maintenance of machinery needs to be kept up since each part of the store costs about £20, 000. It's justifiable that some things need to be charged for. In the UK we charge 7p for extra sauces.

Before someone comments on the fact that I work at McDonalds...I only work there because I have to pay to survive through university because the government doesn't support me and McDonalds is the only job that offers complete flexibility.