Mbcontact.com / spybot scam

1 United Kingdom Review updated:
Phone: 01363 775024

I wish to report the activities of mbcontact, and their quasi-download sites of legitimate software. Last night I fell for their ‘2008search-destroy’ scam on Spybot software, costing me £17.91 GBP. Apparently they are busy using everything from Google Earth, Grisoft AVG, Spybot and many other legitimate company logos to hook people in. My bank has absolutely no interest in pursuing this matter as a fraud, and neither can the UK police do much either. I have reported this to the FBI site IC3, who will action this report of fraud.
Whilst no company seems too worried about their identity being misused, mbcontact.com will continue to generate millions of dollars from their reputations. I am very interested in what they are doing as a victims of this crime in proactively dealing with these scammers. I am intent on taking the following action:
I will purchase the domain name ‘www.mbcontact-fraudsters.com’ with the sole aim of making a website alerting the dangers of this criminal outfit. It will include a bulletin board giving warnings and details of their latest scams. One section will deal with how companies and banks respond to dealing with mbcontacts activities, and what steps (or lack of) they are taking to bring the guilty parties to justice.
The site will strive to identify the people and their home addresses, photos etc. behind this scam. A Paypal account will be set up for people to donate to a fund so that a bounty can be offered on their capture and prosecution. My point is if no organisation will do anything about this situation, then individuals must take control of the internet.

Al

Comments

• Da
      9th of Oct, 2008

I to have been caught by this scam. Contacted my bank and informed them and they stated that I will have to wait until the 9th of November and if I have not received the product (no chance) they will then pass it over to there fraud dept. Advice by the bank is to use a credit card and not a debit card as one is covered by the credit card and is able to get the monies back

16th of Oct, 2008

I've been stung by this today too. Ironically I only caught onto it after I had eventually downlaoded SpyBot and it blocked the company's URL otherwise I would have given them my details all over again! I'll be calling my bank to tell them, I know I won't get my money back, but I just don't want them using my details again...Gutted!

• Bh
      30th of Oct, 2008

Like you others I was scammed with this on Oct 8th - didn't know until received my Master Card bill to-day. Phoned Master card & they are sending me a letter to complete - after they receive it back, they will credit my Account with the $72.31 Canadian.

Found a phone # for this ??company?? 1-866-903-4555 & spoke to them saying I wanted a credit for the amount they charged my Master Card, said they will credit it within 5 to 6 business days - we will
    see, guess I have to see if they stand by there word.

• Ph
      14th of Mar, 2009

Just downloaded Spybot for US$35, but it was an old version which even after downloading updates didn't bring it up to the current version.
    Credit card hasn't been debited yet, not sure if I have a claim
    I'm sure that the Spybot developers aren't seeing any of this money.