Match.com / dangerous men/dates

1 TX, United States Review updated:

I had (2) dates from Match.com. They were both FELONS. Why in the world would this company not do background checks. I don't know what I was thinking when I started with them -
One and the last date I went on he hit me with a wooden coat hanger on the face and gave me a black eye. I later found out about his very shady past. He had been in PRISON twice and also threatened me if I filed charges against him. However, I was on a cruise with him at this time when I realized what kind of person he was. The Captain, helped me with getting a small boat to take me to get a shuttle to the nearest airport (5 hours away). I was told I would be taken by English speaking woman driver - I WAS NOT- instead I had to take a shuttle driven by two MEN who did not speak any English. The whole 5 hours I was afraid. Once I got to the city - Managua, Nigeruaga, I hold to pay for my hotel (which the company reimbursed me later) I also had a nightmare at the airport because the Cruise Director promised me my airline ticket was waiting - it was not. I had just finished with Chemo Therapy for 48 weeks, I did not have my energy level back to deal with all this. On top of that I had to take medicine for the damage the chemo had caused, MY DATE, from MATCH.COM stole most of it. We got into an argument, because apparently, he is also drug abuser, I told him I had to take my meds for pain from Fibro (which he already knew) that the meds were not for fun. He got angry.

When I finally made it back to the Houston, TX I was exhausted, had a huge BLACK-EYE. I contacted the Cruise Director with Ambassodor, the one who lied about every thing. I emailed her and told her I needed a report that I filed on the ship to the Captain. I contacted more than 7-8 times. She would not and did not respond to any of my request. I needed that to file Assault Charges against this person. Please inform others on the danger of these on-line dating services, most of them DO NOT DO BACKGROUND CHECKS!
Kindest Regards - Praying for your help - Jerri Scroggins

Comments

• Ti
      22nd of May, 2009

You got what you deserved. You should have done the background search yourself, drama queen...lmao.

• Ho
      22nd of May, 2009

I dont think anyone gets what they deserve you heartless tiff, however before leaving dry land with a new friend, I certainly would have protected myslef better. I am glad you were not seriously hurt.

• Ti
      26th of May, 2009

She was desperate and left the US with someone she didn't know.

• Ki
      28th of May, 2009

I agree with Tiff 100%! Who the HELL in their right mind meets someone off the internet and jumps to trap themselves on a boat with the new companion! ESPECIALLY having had a prior similar experience--"I had (2) dates from Match.com. They were both FELONS ... One and the last date I went on he hit me with a wooden coat hanger on the face and gave me a black eye." ###ing ###. She DID deserve it! You can EAAAAAAASILY look up any person who has or had a prison record in every state of the US! It's women like you who give the rest of us a bad name! Next time, as I'm sure there'll be one, I hope you get thrown overboard!

• D1
      3rd of May, 2010

You're lucky all you got was a black eye. Did Match.com do a background check on you when you signed up? No they didn't, so why would you assume that they would do so on the men you're communicating with? It sounds to me like you are pretty naive.

There's nothing wrong with running a background check. It would have saved you some anguish twice now. You also might want to seriously reconsider the type of guy you find attractive since there seems to be a recurring theme here.

Here are some more tips for you when it comes to online dating that are reproduced for your convenience from this website: http://www.onlinedatingmagazine.com/articles/datingsafely.html:

1. Arrange to meet him.
    When meeting for the first time, never allow your date to pick you up from your home. In fact, your date shouldn't even know your home address yet!

2. Meet in public places.
    For a first meeting, always meet in a public place where other people are in close proximity. You may also want to consider going out with a group of people, or a double date.

3. Go dutch by paying half of the bill.
    It's always respectful for the man to offer to pay the bill. Unfortunately, some men ruin the gesture by expecting something in return. Therefore it may not be a bad idea for you to go dutch. Pay half the bill so that you won't feel under any obligation to "return" the favor.

4. Remember that alcohol affects your judgment.
    The biggest threat to a person's judgment, when on a date, is alcohol. Not only does it affect your judgment, but alcohol also lessens your inhibitions. If you are drinking, keep your drink in sight at all times and don’t get so drunk that you don’t know what you are doing. Better yet, try to avoid alcohol on your first date.

5. Use your own mode of transportation.
    Provide your own transportation to your public meeting place and make sure you have more than enough gas.

6. Don't assume that a man is safe.
    It's important never to let your guard down when on a first date. Never assume a man is safe just because he claims to be religious or a gentleman.

7. Don’t let him know where you live.
    If you want to see him again, arrange a second date and then take it from there.

8. Avoid secluded areas.
    Remember - stay in a public place for your first date and avoid secluded areas such as parks.

9. Listen to your gut.
    If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. And if you haven’t met him before, and you know at the beginning of the date that something doesn’t feel right, then leave immediately.

10. Always let someone else know where you're going. Be sure someone knows where you are going and who you'll be with. You might even consider arranging a time to call and check in. Or you could arrange to meet up with friends later that night.

11. Give him your cell phone number.
    It's safer to give out a cell phone number instead of your home phone number (click here for why).

12. Always remain alert.
    Even if you’re having a blast and the chemistry is great, it’s a good idea to remain alert the whole evening. Make sure you have a cell phone on you.

In my opinion, this is all just common sense stuff. Also, for the first half a dozen dates or so, people generally tend to be on their best behavior so just because the first couple of dates go well, does not mean you've met the real person yet. The online world is a dangerous place and even men should exercise caution. Better to be a little paranoid then be in a situation where you wish you would have been.