Loopnet / Unauthorized charges

United States, California, San Francisco Review updated:
185 Berry Street. Suite 4000
San Francisco
Phone: 415-243-4200
I live in a small house on an 8, 000 sq ft. lot with a big shop that can be used for commercial business. When I became partially disabled I lost most of my business and could barely afford my mortgage. A commercial broker friend of mine suggested I lease out the back lot and the shop to a business so I could have extra income.

He recommended an online company called Loopnet.com so I placed an expensive ad for 1 month at $79.95. The ad was placed for March 2009 under their premium listings. I did get a few responses from agents and business the first 3 weeks but then nothing after that so I figured that the 1 month Loopnet ad was not effective.

I then listed the property with my leasing agent friend and he posted a sign on the fence. As the months went by my agent friend asked me why I was still listing the property on Loopnet? and I told him that I only did for 1 month. When I checked my credit card statements closely I saw charges from Loopnet for $79.95 for April 09 another for May 09, one for June 09 and one more for July 09.

I called their customer service and they said the charges for their 'membership' renew each month until I cancel, so I did. She also said that when I cancel to request credit for the additional months I was charged. I never received any credit for those months for a total of $319.80.

I sent customersvc@loopnet.com another email demanding a refund and then some big fish at the company told me that the charges where valid under there terms and conditions. I am going to file a small claims action against Loopnet. DO NOT LIST ANY PROPERTY WITH THIS COMPANY!

More Loopnet Complaints & Reviews

A  13th of Apr, 2009 by
I also had a charge from Loopnet even though I had taken down the ad. I was charged $179.85 for one property - outrageous. Then they automatically charged my account again after the three months. I immediately called them to dispute the charge within days of it being posted to my account. They would not take the cancellation over the phone, would not discuss if they were going to issue me a credit. Made me send an email to not only cancel but to request a refund. When I reached customer service, they would not talk to me about a refund either. I have called my credit card company to notify them this was an unauthorized charge. Don't put your property on Loopnet!
A  11th of May, 2009 by
I was charged unrightfully, would not refund, don't do ANYTHING with them!!! READ ALL THE FINE PRINT, spend your afternoon reading their agreement...like you have nothing else to do, can't trust what they tell you on the phone.
A  8th of Feb, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I told the loopnet salesman that I only wanted to try their service for one month. He said fine and that as they only had recurring memberships that I should go online and cancel it right away so I would not be billed again. I went on their website and cancelled right away but it did not take. I assumed I had cancelled and would not be billed on a recurring basis but I was.

I immediately called the company and requested that they do the right thing and refund the additional month. I asked customer service if they cared that I would not be a happy customer upon which they stated that they cared more about following their policy and would not give refunds under even reasonable circumstances. I tried to dispute through my credit card company to no avail. Only recourse is to not do business with them in the future and share my negative experience with as many people as possible in the coming years. Hopefully others considering using Loopnet will see these postings.
A  30th of Jul, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Same thing happened to Me. Got a call, agreed to a ONE MONTH listi8ng for $69.95. Turns out they've been charging me $69, 95 for the following 4 months. I called Amex and they will dispute the charge and will not authorize any additional charges to my CC account.
N  14th of Jan, 2012 by
Loopnet's manner of treating customers is despicable. They are not decent people. Loopnet has continued placing charges after the credit card used was expired and the customer hadn't been using their service. Decent people would have credited at least a portion of the timeframe during which the customer had not used their service. But not Loopnet. They enjoy getting paid for not having offered a service.
A  21st of Jan, 2012 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
The same sort of thing just happened to me. They set a "trap" and take whatever they can. It seems that there are only two options, the first being a Nationwide Class Action Law Suit against them and the second being to push for legislation in every state. I am suggesting that Loopnet and other companies with automatic recurring charges must be required to send a "courtesy" email to the account holder to notify them that their credit card is being charged. It is easy to miss the charge on your Credit Card statement if you have a lot of charges on it. They know this and that is the trap they set.

Yes I guess the third option is to never use their service and to tell as many people as possible about the scam.
A  21st of Jun, 2012 by
June 21st 2012...this is a real fact even today...they even told me today, it's the first time they heard of such a thing...Denial must be a river in San Francisco...or Africa...

Co Star bought them and keep your eye on the "truth in marketing". Bait & Switch then it's an upgrade to get what you purchased...
A  21st of Jun, 2012 by
It is so true...client services just told me today...we credited back everything. My back still can not verify...they also state, this is the first time we have heard of such a thing...
A  20th of Sep, 2013 by
LoopNet has extremely shady practices. They allow you to easily setup an account and provide a credit card. Watch out for the day you want to cancel. No you cannot do that online. You must call in, be put on hold, wait 20 minutes and then they tell you, they will email in your request to be cancelled. Why is it I can update everything possible on my account, including my credit card, yet I cannot cancel this account. I will never use LoopNet again.
A  19th of Dec, 2013 by
Loopnet makes it easy to join and difficult to leave. Once they get your credit card be assured you will be charged after you have advised them you want to discontinue advertising. I suspect it is the single consumer who they take advantage of and the big briokerage houses probably have a great relationship with. I closed my credit card down and i hope that will end it fr me but my credit card company says they are investigating my claim. Save yourself the headache and dont adverstise with loopnet in the first place if you are just an individual using your own credit card.
A  19th of Jul, 2014 by
July 19, 2014

LOOPNET has charged me 2 additional months past my cancellation. I listed a family-owned commercial property for 1 year at $99 per month. It was canceled at the end of April, but they refuse to acknowledge this and continue to bill me for NOTHING. I have no listing. I have spoken to a supervisor who did nothing but argue with me. To email them, you need to use their fill-in form on the website, and therefore have no copy of a sent email. I am fighting this through American Express (the card I used for their charges) and will continue to fight it. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. THEIR BUSINESS PRACTICES ARE UNSCRUPULOUS!
A  18th of Feb, 2016 by
It has been my experience, Loopnet unequivocally is engaging in fraud and deceit (my opinion ), in their deceptive practices, which equate to over billing, not rectifying the overfilling and refusing to return communications . Do your research, go online and read the extensive number of claims that all echo the same thing ...Loopnet over billing, over charges and then Loopnet not being accountable by fixing their wrongful actions . Loopnet has no competition ...yet they use deceptive trade to their clients. I predict a class action suit is coming to Loopnet...I strongly advise do not use LOOPNET, unless they fix their current practices . My statement is 100% fact, I will even put my name on it - Sam Tallis
A  19th of Apr, 2017 by
I listed a couple of assisted homes in Arizona on loopnet and then a manager Jeff Bettigole called me and insisted to subscribe to a premium AD.
I agreed to a three months AD and I made very clear to him that I didn't want more than 3 months. In those three months no serious buyer contacted me. I was surprised to realize that they charged me the fourth month. I called them back and Jeff put me on line with another "manager" Jason Horenberg. I explained him the situation that I want my AD to cancel immediately and I received even a cancelation letter. Shortly after that another payment of $99.95 was taken out of my account for the fifth month. Manager Jeff Bettigole took advantage of the fact that I was really busy and knew that I would not read all the letters he emailed me after I spoke with him. In those letters they hid some catches. This is a very dishonest business, I would not recommend anyone to subscribe to loopnet

Cancellation Confirmation:
Premium Lister

Dear Octavian,
As requested, your Premium Lister will be changed to a free Basic Membership at the end of your current billing term.
Note: This confirmation affects only your membership status. If you need to make any additional, including changing to the status of your email alerts or email subscriptions, please log in to www.LoopNet.com and make the appropriate changes.
To reactivate your Premium Lister in the future, please visit www.LoopNet.com, contact our sales department at (888)567-7442 or email us at SalesTeam@LoopNet.com.
We appreciate your business and hope that you continue to enjoy your free Basic Membership.

Leah McMurtry
Member Services

Per our membership Terms & Conditions, LoopNet periodically sends system messages such as notifications and product announcements to octavianarizona@gmail.com. You cannot opt-out of these system messages. For additional information, please review our membership Terms & Conditions at www.LoopNet.com.
LoopNet, Inc. 1331 L St NW, Washington, DC 20005