Life Alert / Fraud and scam

It wasn't until I tried to cancel the service and transfer it to another family member was I advised that the unit I have is "outdated and not worth returning" to them. Also, I was told when the service was started, 6 years ago, that Mom would OWN the unit after the 3 years of monthly payments & the family could transfer the service to someone else after she passed away, without it having to be immediate, lie, lie, and lie.

I'd like to warn anyone that has had a unit for over 6 months to call Life Alert [protected]) and request a free upgrade, ASAP. Be patient because you may be transferred several times, but the only way you will get an upgrade on your "rental unit" is to ask for it.

You would think after paying so much money for the unit and the service monthly, under contract, they would be required to advise the consumer of technology upgrades necessary to maximize the service to them, but no, they did/do not.

I also had to fight with them about getting a credit back for services they charged after Mom's death. They were very unsympathetic, cold, and uncooperative until I insisted they give me the information I required to get a credit. Purchase with caution!

Va

Comments

• Fi
      26th of Mar, 2015

Their "collections" people can be rude and arrogant when you're trying to explain what happened. First call: my wife told them we needed to cancel. It took a long time, and while she was on hold, she got sick and needed to vomit, so she hung up and ran for the bathroom. She got a message back from one of their agents rudely advising that if she needed to get this completed, she needed to stay on the phone longer.

There is hope, however... ask for a supervisor; if they say they are a supervisor, ask for the next level supervisor. I found this to be successful. The next level assisted me wonderfully, took care of my problem, and then transferred me to the General Manager, where I advised him of exactly the problem I was having with a particular agent, and he listened, and in general it ended as a good customer service contact. It shouldn't be necessary go to the GM to get satisfaction though...

• Ta
      6th of Dec, 2016

I have had almost identical issues with my mothers account. I have called the GM 6 times with no response.