Complaints & Reviews

Scam of employees

Life alert is a scam sign up with companies that do not require contract, I am an ex employee and worked...

I can't cancel the contract, because the rep kept silence

I signed the contract with the company www.lifealert.com, while my mother was in hospital, but my father was alone at home. But recently, they both moved to home for elderly people. I called to the company and asked to cancel contract, but the rep told that they needed to speak with me in person. I tried to contact the rep again, but he hasn’t reply to my phone calls. Strange situation and the behaviour of the rep.

• Mi
    mistered Oct 20, 2017

To cancel the service, they require you to speak to their 'Customer Retention Department'. Based on my repeated calls, I believe it is a department of one and that person never answers the phone. I've called 10 times over two weeks and am bounced around always ending up with Edwin Garcia. I think he only exists in voicemail because that's all I ever get. Needless to say the voice mails are never returned. Extremely frustrated and actually considering canceling my checking account so they can't keep taking money from me.

• Ka
    Karen Allyson Scott Mar 05, 2018

yes, they are easy to get a hold of to sign up. Impossible to cancel with. I faxed letter from my dad's primary explaining that he now had 24/7 care and was on hospice. Also emailed the same day, saying I faxed letter. No response. Now am told "it didn't go through" and to repeat process. How surprising--not. All of this while we are going through more than enough upset and turmoil. Horrible company. There are other services that have no contract, and are even cheaper. But thought I was signing up for the best for Dad. So disgruntled.

• Da
    Dawn Josephine May 08, 2018

If they force you not to cancel this is ILLEGAL - who are they GOD? If you contract (3 years) has been fulfilled and if wanted another Alert system, you can cancel with Life Alert with your Parent's approval since you got it from them. And if they do not cancel it - you can always tell your credit card company not to allow them to charge the money. No one can force you - but if you have 3-Year contract and you cancel you will be penalized instead.

• Ki
    Kirina Khodorkovskaya Feb 08, 2019

My Mother signed up for a 3 yr contract just recently without realizing she was signing a contract. Now she wants to cancel and they are saying you can't cancel the 3 yr contract. My mother is old and a foreigner and she doesn't understand everything, she said no one mentioned it was a contract that she thought she was signing papers for receipt of equipment that they came to install. She didn't know it was a contract. And now they are saying there is no way to get out she should have known.

• Mi
    Michael Parkermic Nov 05, 2019

Regarding cancelling Life Alert service contract, let me know your thoughts cancelling the credit card used to purchase the contract and making monthly payments. I'm assuming Life Alert counters by reporting the User to credit bureau. However, if User is at a very senior phase of their life in their late 80s, I can't imagine good credit reports are high on their needs list. Thanks for your time, Michael in Ashland VA.

disconcerting the account

I got life alert for my mother she lives in alabama and i stay in michigan. She had it for two years when she...

TV comercial

I find the TV commercial EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE. It begins with a pitiful wailing, pleading for help. A camera pans through a house while the call goes on. Then at the bottom of the basement stairs we see an elderly woman lying on the floor.
This commercial is a SCARE TACTIC and in very poor taste. I think it equal to showing a dead baby commercial to pregnant women.
I WILL NEVER BUY THIS PRODUCT. GETTING OLD IS BAD ENOUGH WITHOUT ALL OF THE DISASTERS PREDICTED BY TV COMMERCIALS.

• JKWilliams Aug 23, 2014

Hon, I was putting in Pergo on Thursday, plumbing my kitchen sink on Friday, and up on the roof repairing a leak on Saturday. Sunday afternoon I got up from my chair to get a pencil sharpener, my leg felt awkward (weak) and I fell to the floor and worse, couldn't get up no matter what I did. Hearty, healthy, HWP, and hale for 60 yrs, and then that (stroke) happened - just like that. I think that's what the ad addresses. Yes, it does happen. When you least expect it. Chill out.

• Jf
    JFaden Sep 09, 2014

I don't find it offensive, but I don't think they needed to take it to this level either. The company may have felt that people were not taking their old commercial seriously, but this is a bit much. I do understand that the exact scenario can happen and that falls are serious. They are depending on this getting a reaction out of people and it does. My reaction will be to change the channel when I see this commercial coming on because I don't want to be bawling my eyes out each time, just because they think it will sell their product. You can still get your point across without making people feel totally horrible. Take it down a notch, Life Alert.

• Ir
    Irith Hayblum Oct 06, 2015

I totally agree. I'm an ex of Life Alert and have been with them for about 8 years. Would like to be in touch with you.

Email: [email protected]

Phone:212-760-4747

Irene

• Sh
    Shelly Moore Apr 10, 2016

I am disturbed by their ads because I already have anxiety issues anyway and the beginning of the latest one looks like a friggin horror movie. I don't like it. And most of us wish we could afford this for out loved ones.

Bad taste

• La
    Lawgal Nov 06, 2018

Hate this commercial. My 9 year old grandson had nightmares from seeing/watching this commercial.
    Yes, I mute this commercial or turn the channel. I think this is a scare tactic for elderly people.
    Someone should start a lawsuit to have this commercial taken off the air and for mental distress. I’m sure this commercial does affect elderly people mentally and they are stressed by this commercial. So wrong! There are different ways to promote a good product!!

Be careful with them

I bought medical alert system from the website www.lifealert.com. It broke after 3 days, when I really needed help, but before it I haven’t used it at all. I contacted the seller and told to solve the problem, but he only gave me empty promises and excuses. He did nothing, and I wouldn’t recommend you to deal with such people. So be careful if you use this website or leave comments if you had horrible experience with this seller.

They pester EVERYONE!

My Mother in Law had set up for Life Alert a while back. One of her sons found another company that wa...

TWO WARNINGS regarding Life Alert.

<b>TWO WARNINGS regarding Life Alert. Warning #1</b> is for anyone considering a Sales Position...

True Story

I'm not complaining about Life Alert's services or products, only narrating an encounter with Life Alert.

I am an EMS professional and work for an for an undisclosed ambulance service in a city in the US. (I don't want to risk violating HIPPA)

One early morning dispatch radioed my ambulance of an apt address and that Life Alert called because a necklace was alerted. We ran hot to this call and quickly made it to the room; however, the door is locked. I pound on the door; calling out to see if there is anyone else in the room to unlock the door. Nothing could be heard from the inside of the room. No moans, no scuffling, nothing. Time still ticking, we managed to retrieve a security guard to unlock the door. Oxygen ready, I rushed into a completely dark apt room. I yelled that 911 was here in an attempt to help me locate my patient. Guided by the hallway lights I found the bedroom to find an elderly women laying on her side in her bed. I confronted her and told her 911 was here. To my surprise this women jumped up in fear. She quickly asked who I was and what I was doing here. Shocked, I paused for a second and blurted out, "did you call 911?" It was obvious that this person was sleeping and was suddenly confronted by 4 fire fighters and 2 EMS personnel. Realizing that we are not in the correct room we quickly apologize and leave the room. I radioed the dispatch center asking for a repetition of the apt address and explained why the room we were given was incorrect. Sure enough the records Life Alert gave our dispatch center matched the door in front of me. Dispatched called back Life Alert to ask for the address again. Still waiting, dispatch radioed to me that the address I was at is the one Life Alert has on records and told us to hang on. Knowing that we're at the wrong place we proceeded to to the elevator and took it down to the first floor, still unsure where to go. On the way down dispatch radioed they (as in dispatch) found the patient's ACTUAL address by Life Line disclosing the patient's name and then matching that to the company's 911 log. However, the new address was over 3 miles away and a closer truck we send to respond. I never found out what the patient's condition was when the ambulance arrived.

I don't know about the newer models but whatever necklace she had on did not have gps. If the patient was able to actually dial 911 then her location would be instantly traced and someone would of been there very quickly. Since she moved Life Alert only had her previous address. I don't know if necklace wearers are suppose to notify Life Alert if they move but for whatever reason Life Alert's records were not up to date.

• Ju
    Just The Facts Please Sep 03, 2011

There are many companys with similar names to Life Alert. How do you know this is the company?

Resolved Fraud and scam

It wasn't until I tried to cancel the service and transfer it to another family member was I advised that the unit I have is "outdated and not worth returning" to them. Also, I was told when the service was started, 6 years ago, that Mom would OWN the unit after the 3 years of monthly payments & the family could transfer the service to someone else after she passed away, without it having to be immediate, lie, lie, and lie.

I'd like to warn anyone that has had a unit for over 6 months to call Life Alert [protected]) and request a free upgrade, ASAP. Be patient because you may be transferred several times, but the only way you will get an upgrade on your "rental unit" is to ask for it.

You would think after paying so much money for the unit and the service monthly, under contract, they would be required to advise the consumer of technology upgrades necessary to maximize the service to them, but no, they did/do not.

I also had to fight with them about getting a credit back for services they charged after Mom's death. They were very unsympathetic, cold, and uncooperative until I insisted they give me the information I required to get a credit. Purchase with caution!

• Fi
    firesisle Mar 26, 2015

Their "collections" people can be rude and arrogant when you're trying to explain what happened. First call: my wife told them we needed to cancel. It took a long time, and while she was on hold, she got sick and needed to vomit, so she hung up and ran for the bathroom. She got a message back from one of their agents rudely advising that if she needed to get this completed, she needed to stay on the phone longer.

There is hope, however... ask for a supervisor; if they say they are a supervisor, ask for the next level supervisor. I found this to be successful. The next level assisted me wonderfully, took care of my problem, and then transferred me to the General Manager, where I advised him of exactly the problem I was having with a particular agent, and he listened, and in general it ended as a good customer service contact. It shouldn't be necessary go to the GM to get satisfaction though...

• Ta
    Tander3287 Dec 06, 2016

I have had almost identical issues with my mothers account. I have called the GM 6 times with no response.

• Ce
    Cesar Palomares Jul 03, 2020

this people are a bunch of thiefs.
    they went from $25.00 a month to $70.00 in less than a year
    with no prior notice

Resolved It's a scam

I was interested in Life Alert for my grandmother. She is 80 years old. So I ordered it for her. From the way...