LeatherUp.com / Hawk ST-1198 Helmet

1 Los Angeles, CA, United States

Dangerous helmet. Poor customer support.
This is the second Hawk helmet I've owned. Both bought from Leatherup. The first one was recalled by the DOT because it was unsafe. Nice to know after you've been riding around with it on your head.
I noticed after wearing it just a few times that the visor had become crystallized on the interior. Trying to wipe it off only smudged it and made it worse. Three months of Emails and Leatherup sent me a replacement visor that was also defective. It had folds in the plastic right in the field of vision. Also defective.
The interior visor is not a clear tinted plastic. It has a cloudiness to the plastic that when you face the sun grays out! You can hardly see through it! I pointed this out to Leatherup as well. They said that when they get one off of another helmet they'll send me one. Four months of Emails and calls and all I got was a $16 clear visor and a helmet I can't use . With every Email or phone call the rep, Richard, says he has to take it up with "upper management". Really? You need to talk to upper management to get a visor or helmet replaced?!!!
I asked LU for contact info for Hawk because I contacted them on their web site and never heard from them. I got three emails. [email protected], ha[email protected], [email protected] Yahoo and Gmail.com? Really?! No one responded any of the emails. I also got a phone and fax number for Shri Lanka. Really?! That's their customer support?!!! I tried faxing them but the fax would never go through. I give up!
In my opinion THIS IS A DANGEROUS HELMET TO WEAR. You need to see clearly out of a helmet and you can't with this one. Customer support is worthless from Leatherup and good luck trying to reach Hawk. If you buy this helmet you're taking your life in your hands. It wouldn't surprise me if they recalled this one too.

Jo