Laser Spine Institute / fraud

Philadelphia, United States Review updated:

What a scam!.. Called for my "free MRI review" to see what they offered and if they can help my long term issue with my cervical spine. There are no direct numbers to their centers, instead you are given a "care specialist" in a call center. They take your info and insurance information and state they will call you back within 2 days. Roth called me back and told me they are out of network with my 2 insurance companies but they will work with me. I was told my procedure is normally 20K without insurance and since I am out of network they determined I will owe 10K??? What? First of all I was never seen by a doctor nor did they even look at an MRI so how can they know what procedure or procedures are needed to quote a price? Secondly, Since my out of network coverage is 80 % and my secondary covers they balance in full, how is this 10K? When questioned I was told the insurance company doesn't pay their full fee so I have to pick up the difference above the usual and customary fee???
What a scam.. No doctor evaluation, just a sales company trying to sell you a full package not covered or needed... STAY AWAY!

Bo
Dec 30, 2014

Comments

• Je
      3rd of Aug, 2015

I have been diagnosed by a neurosurgeon with the VA of having OPLL in my cervical spine. As the surgeon with the VA has NO FINANCIAL INCENTIVE, I sought a second opinion with the Laser Spine Institute. The surgery planned by the VA is very extensive. My first encounter with the Institute was through their on-line chat. I was going to pay cash, as the VA is my only source for healthcare (I am 100% service-connected). I was quoted a cost of $18, 900 without their even knowing about my condition. I sent my information, anyway, to what seems to be their corporate office in Florida. They followed up with a telephone call, and it was then I was quoted a price of over $22, 000. When I said that I was initially quoted $18, 900, I was told that I was quoted the Medicare price. When I balked at this, indicating that I should be charged less as I am paying cash, I was told that they bill Medicare anywhere from $60, 000 to $70, 000 dollars! What happened to the $18, 900 price? As with anyone who practices fraud, you have to remember your lies. They also tried to talk me into surgery for my thoracic spine, which which was not part of the "problem" that I was addressing. STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE! They focus more on their marketing than they do with focusing on the patient's NEEDS.

• Ri
      8th of Jan, 2016

My experience was very similar to this one. I would venture to say that no doctor ever reviews much of anything. I'm only 44 and I've been through a lot. I have survived two widow maker heart attacks, I've had two spinal fusions and I was led to believe I was still a candidate for relief from my still unending pain, then two days away from flying to Tampa I'm told by an LPN nurse that I don't qualify for surgery because they didn't want to put me under anesthesia. They play upon your need for relief. They believe in a person and their condition as a sales lead, the sale either pans out or it doesn't. I liken it to a window and siding salesman.

• Je
      8th of Jan, 2016

I have since had my surgery with the VA. Laminectomy from C3-c7, and foraminotomies at C4-5. I must say that my only residuals is spasm and swelling of the left side of my neck and shoulder. I was amazed that my pain isn't as severe, considering how much bone was drilled away and rods and 10 screws implanted to room for my spinal cord. Research what is provided, in regard to choices. Perhaps laser surgery is appropriate for some cases, but mine was far too complicated for them to handle. They should have admitted to this instead of quoting me prices without realizing what was required to avoid my becoming paralyzed.

15th of Apr, 2017

How can a institute scam people out of money like this? The Laser Spine Institute is only for the rich.

• Ri
      24th of Oct, 2017

OMG, where does one turn to?? After reading dozens of remarks written by so many of you (90% negative) I am amazed that these people have been allowed to get away with this. I think there is a local TV station here in SW Florida that does exposes on companies like this. I think it's called "Shame on You" I was already to go up there and thank God I skimmed further down to read these complaints!! Each one is so alike. I spoke to them early this year and was told that they accept Medicare but not my supplemental United Heath. I asked them that it seemed strange that medicare would pay but not for the outpatient facility!! Then they had the nerve to tell me that I had to pay "out of pocket" almost $15, 000 for the use of the facility When I asked them how long would I be in their "facility" they said less then half a day!!! My next question was how can they justify $15, 000 for basically an outpatient service. I was then given some sales pitch that the $15, 000 also included all the doctors, MRI's and they would have be back every day for 5 days!!! When I said to them that they previously told me that Medicare paid for the "doctors" they said that there were "other doctors" that had to be compensated!!! Needless to say I hung up the phone and then they had the nerve to call me back several times to get me to change my mind!!! Thanks to all of you who took the time to expose this company. Are there ANY other Laser Intitutes here in this country that offer the same procedure without ripping one off??? If so please let me know. Sincerely, Rick M