Kaplan Universityrip-off

I owe Direct Loans $13, 000 for spending less than 1 year at this rip-off school. I thought on-line was the way to go, since I only had a semester left at my former school. I knew not all my classes would transfer, but Kaplan accepted 20% of my coursework. Then the loan went to the school, and I had to call for 2 weeks to get the refund, which they wanted to keep. The veterans discount was not applied until my third term, and was not retroactive. The webcam sent for one class was only compatible with Windows XP, so I could not finish the class. When I finally quit, they waited 2 months to send my Student Loan back to the lender and classified it as a payment, not a refund. This meant I was paying interest for money I never saw nor used. Also with the way their school year is set, when I went to my old University I was unable to get loans for my last semester since I reached the year monetary allotment. The school year for Kaplan is 18 months long. The "classes" were a joke. The counselors were terrible; the red tape was unreal, and I learned nothing. Now I get to pay the government close to $20, 000 because of this joke. 5 years at a real University $23, 000. less than 1 year at Kaplan $14k. The school in owned by the Washington Times. Maybe they should be sued.

Th

Comments

• Mr
      Oct 27, 2011

Pay your debt

• St
      Oct 27, 2011

Sounds like a crazy scam! Good luck with school.

Sorry. The Washington Post owns the school

Mrknowitall,

What? I am paying my debt, jackanapes. My complaint is that I was snowed into a debt that gave me nothing in return. I have no problem with paying for a service, my problem is paying for nothing, which I am currently doing. Maybe you should actually read the post before you make asinine comments.

Oct 28, 2011

B' sneeze- you are right, and that is why I left before being there a year. My complaint is that the tactics this institution of higher education uses to lure students is wrong. I was lied to. I was traded to different departments. I did research things like credentials, course of study, etc. I was told before I enrolled that most of my transfer credits would be accepted. It wasn't until after I enrolled that I discovered most of them were not. I appealed, which took 6 months. Did you read my complaint? I was told, as a veteran I would receive a discount for tuition. That did not happen until the 3rd term. They " lost" my paperwork. That is why I left the school. Is the onus on me to ensure that the money I did not use at the school go back to the loan company as a payment? No. I am taking the responsibility and paying off a debt which gave me nothing. Hindsight is 20/20. The reason I wrote this complaint is to warn others. The school is shady. They lied to me.

Oct 28, 2011

Do you really believe that this shopping mall school is a real school? Come on. These places exist because there are people who don't have the intelligence to get into real universities fall for these scams. The same reason that some people go into the armed services because they can't find a job anywhere else. Anyone doing any bit of research should realize that this place is a scam. Just because you fall for it doesn't excuse you from paying off your debt. Ask your mommy before you have to make any further life decisions. Don't add being a deadbeat to your list of bad decisions. Pay your debt.

Oct 29, 2011

Your great advice and acumen into all things proves your moniker is well earned Mr. Knowitall. I bet you are the coolest person living in your parents basement. Your comments make no sense. Troll elsewhere little loser.

Nov 01, 2011

Someone is to stupid to realize how stupid they are. Its no ones fault but your own that you couldn't see that you were being scammed. Calling people trolls doesn't change the fact that you're the one that was scammed, and, still in debt. People with brains don't fall for that crap. Maybe writing a check every month will jar a few brain cells to work.

• Mo
      Aug 04, 2012

I agree mrknowitall, but the government allows scams to go on and should protect the people and that's what the dummies are there for. Maybe they are so caught up in the gay marriage garbage they for get about running the country .

• Ju
      Dec 18, 2016

I know that there have been numerous current and former students regarding the fraud and deception that occurred in regards to Kaplan. There is pending litigation that is establishing the fact that there were questionable activities going on in regards to the admissions process. the student loan process and the grades received by students. I am currently assisting an attorney in Florida to try and get as much verification from students as well as current and former faculty members to substantiate the deceptive and fraudulent that were used. Please send me your story and include any Kaplan faculty member that played a role in your story. You can either contact me through Facebook or at [protected]@sbcglobal.net. Please also feel free to include any documentation that you would be willing to share.For me this has been a 9 year struggle but I really do see a real possibility. Please feel free to contact me with any questions and/or concerns. Judith Hatch